Champ problem - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Champ problem

Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Beemerider

Default Champ problem

I gave my grandson a Champ for his birthday a month or so ago. First few flights I noticed the rudder would often stick in right turns. If we had enough altitude I could "bounce" the stick left and then right again and it would then free up and respond properly. Few minutes later it would stick again. Of course when flying under 100' high there would not be enough time to free it up and get out of trouble. And it went in a few times. On the ground it would do the same but seemingly not quite as often. Took a razor knife and slit the tape holding the fuse together. There is nothing in the pushrods or hinges that is sticking or binding. The only thing I see that could possibly be an issue is what hopefully is evident in the photo. The rx/servo/esc board is mounted slightly askew in reference to the fuselage. Could this be causing the rudder to bind? The rudder servo is the linear servo on the left in the photo. In a previous repair attempt I had the fuse apart looking for the culprit and tried a very small drop of a silicone lubricant (designed for electronics) on the mechanical part of the servo. No improvement at all. It occurred to me today that possibly the rx board should be square with the fuse. Next question--bought this from an Ebay vendor (he had a good score) I know these things aren't very expensive and I won't cry if HobbyZone ignores me. If the "askew" servo board is the culprit is it reasonable to ask HobbyZone for help? I can fix it myself if need be.

For those of you getting ready to ask the question........I did try to buy from my LHS, and he would have had the same price but the buying decision came up quickly and he told me he couldn't get one as quickly as I needed it. Many of my other "toys I just can't live without" come from him.

Just realized the 2nd pic is out of focus. Sorry 'bout that. But the alignment issue is still evident.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	162037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	162038  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Aaeolien

If you haven't checked it already. Use your finger and roll the gear back and forth and around see if it binds on anything. There could be a tiny piece of dirt in the gear that is causing it to bind up when you reach that point of travel. The little bit of angle I don't think is causing the issue. They are tiny gears and it doesn't take much to bind then up. Had this issue a few times on my um t28.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Beemerider

You know I never tried that and you were right! There is something internal to the rudder servo that's stopping it. I can roll the elevator servo to both ends of it's travel. More examination is in order. Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Aaeolien

No problem. Good luck. Hope you get it taken care of. Champ is so much fun to fly.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Beemerider

You're right, it is a ball to fly. The few good flights we had were so much fun. This is my first experience with the linear servos. I've already emailed the seller. Hopefully he'll be willing to help in some way. In the meantime my grandson and I have been flying my Slow Stick. I think he's getting hooked.
His two brothers are asking Grandpa for equal time! (and an airplane)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
CNY_Dave

Originally Posted by Beemerider View Post
You know I never tried that and you were right! There is something internal to the rudder servo that's stopping it. I can roll the elevator servo to both ends of it's travel. More examination is in order. Thanks!!
If you use a magnifier you will probably see one ever-so-slightly malformed tooth on the big gear. I fixed mine by scraping a pick through the groove to remove the bent over material, worked a treat.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Beemerider

You guys were dead on. Using a magnifying glass I could see what appears to be "trash plastic" on the large gear of the rudder servo. The servo would move to that location and lock up. If I backed it up a bit and hit it again it would push through. By the time I could do that in the air the plane was in the dirt.

This should be an easy fix. My thanks to all for your help and experience!

Wayne
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Aaeolien

Anytime. Glad you found it.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
CNY_Dave

Seems strange but if you crash juuuust right it seems you can actually mush one of the gear teeth, don't ask me how, but the one I fixed was a bent tooth.

I never did that to mine but there's this guy at work that can find even odder ways to crash than me...
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Beemerider

Just an update. I've not had much success cleaning up the gear teeth. One tooth is very nearly gone. Placed a call to HobbyZone customer support and they very kindly offered to send me a new fuselage w/electronics. This is my first experience with them and I was very impressed.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
CNY_Dave

So now you have a pile of spare bits! I believe that servo gear can be replaced, just pull one off someone's junked servo.