Stuck it in a tree - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Stuck it in a tree

Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 AM
dgjessing

Default Stuck it in a tree

Feeling reasonably competent after several days flying in the big huge park, this evening I walked down to the much closer but much smaller park. Dead calm, perfect flying conditions, but I still managed to put it in a tree. Grrrrrr

On the bright side, it looks like it will be pretty easy to get it down with a 20' pole tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post
Feeling reasonably competent after several days flying in the big huge park, this evening I walked down to the much closer but much smaller park. Dead calm, perfect flying conditions, but I still managed to put it in a tree. Grrrrrr

On the bright side, it looks like it will be pretty easy to get it down with a 20' pole tomorrow.
We've all done it. It's part of the learning experience. I hope you can get it out of the tree. Let us know how you make out.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Your not alone on this one.
I used to come home with a silly grin, and the wife would ask me what happened as I was grabbing a fishing pole. I would just say another tree grabbed my plane again. I started to understand how Charlie Brown must a felt when his kite kept getting caught in trees.

Good luck getting it down maybe you will get there tomorrow and the wind will have it down for ya.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Aaeolien

I stuck a plane in the tree in the front yard the other night. The neighbors all had to come out and have a good laugh as I'm standing on the top of the ladder to climb onto the branch it was stuck on. Managed to get it down and we all had a great laugh. S yep it happens to everyone at some point.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM
Beemerider

Flew my 2m sailplane into a tree saturday. 30' up. I've started carrying a telescoping antenna mast (from my amateur radio hobby) It goes out to about 24'. We taped a 10' stick of conduit to reach the plane. The plane was unharmed there sitting in the tree. We gently pushed it off the branch that held it. The tail broke off in two pieces upon ground impact. I wasn't quick enough---easy fix though. This glider is accumulating scars!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Been there , done that. Nothing better than 3 in pvc pipe. My Radjet spent the night in a tree one time. Poor little thing. Was worried sick about her. LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dgjessing View Post

Ouch
One thing we all learn is NEVER NEVER allow your model to fly below the line of sight to the trees! Back in the mid 1980's I put a 35mm camera on one of my 10 foot wingspan electric launched sailplanes.

It took awhile to find out where the heck the model was on some of the photos. Finally identified the spot. It was a full 1/2 MILE as the crow flys from where I was standing.

Problem is a persons depth perception isn't much good at any distance over a few hundred feet.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM
domiluk
lowflyer

Well don't fill bad i think everyone has done it at lest once. I did it saturday i still don't what went wrong I did a preflight everything was working as it ehould but when i took off it made a hard right ture and up in a tree. It spent the night up there and I got it down the next day the only thing hurt was the battery it's dead and will not charge {brand new battery}
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by domiluk View Post
Well don't fill bad i think everyone has done it at lest once. I did it saturday i still don't what went wrong I did a preflight everything was working as it ehould but when i took off it made a hard right ture and up in a tree. It spent the night up there and I got it down the next day the only thing hurt was the battery it's dead and will not charge {brand new battery}
There may life in the ole gal. A trick I learned is to put your battery on your balance charger but call it a NIMH or NICAD instead of Lipo. You'll be throwing more current at it. Let it charge for 10-15 min but watch it closely. Don't go away.

Then take it off the charger and reset the charger to Lipo. Balance charge normally. It should comeback to life.

Worth a try...

Hawk
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM
dgjessing

Well the recovery was successful! Went to Lowes and got two 10' pieces of 3/4" schedule 40 pvc and a straight connector. Had it down in a minute or two, no damage

The battery seems to be shot though... the charger flashes red and green and beeps - "battery error" according to the sticker on back of the charger. My charger doesn't have a battery type selector on it...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
WayfaringDreamer

Lucky it was only 20 feet!

I did the same thing with my StingRay, only it was up around 35 feet.

Did the PVC pole thing and got it down. Tricky as the pole that long kept bending. Had to snake it up along the tree for support.

The worse damage occured when it came down.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Mr.GFC

A couple of weeks back, I had my 17" F-22 Raptor park its self on top of a 60' palm tree. Had to pay the local grounds keeper to shimmy up the tree to fetch it for me. There was no way I was going to even try to get it myself.

The way it ended up in it though, was quite funny. I was cruising along and started slowing it down to land. Got a bit too fare back from the cliff line and as it turned to bring it back to the cliff-line, it got caught in the rotor. It just plopped straight down like it had been dropped of a ladder. At least I know where the rotor effect starts up now. LOL