I got a question Super Cub LP type - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I got a question Super Cub LP type

Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
cyclingsarge

The Brushless setup is definitely lighter so I just used a larger battery. The weight in the nose is good too. With the brushless setup it is going to fly much faster and you will be able to do more. If you haven't shored up the wings yet don't try anything too crazy they can break under too much force, don't ask me how I know. What power train did you go with motor, esc, battery and prop?. How about some photos of your set up? Where did you put the ESC? I mounted my ESC to the fire wall next to the motor mount under the cowl.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
earthsciteach

At first, I mounted my ESC in the motor mount. It worked out well for the CG. But, after a couple of crashes, I ended up knocking a chip loose on the ESC, which in turn, fried my motor. After replacing both, I cut a space large enough to mount the ESC between the firewall and battery compartment. This necessitated the addition of the fishing weight.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
The Brushless setup is definitely lighter so I just used a larger battery. The weight in the nose is good too. With the brushless setup it is going to fly much faster and you will be able to do more. If you haven't shored up the wings yet don't try anything too crazy they can break under too much force, don't ask me how I know. What power train did you go with motor, esc, battery and prop?. How about some photos of your set up? Where did you put the ESC? I mounted my ESC to the fire wall next to the motor mount under the cowl.
Well I took no pics but here is what I went with
1. E-Flite Park 450 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 890Kv
2. Thunderbird Brushless ESC, 18-Amp (mounted on left of fuse)
3. A Spektrum Receiver forgot the details (mounted on the right of fuse)
4. 9x4.5 Prop
5. I decided my plane COG was 1 3/4"
6. Stock 4 cell lipo 11.1v

Now just have to wait for the winds to die down and no soccer kids and we shall go for it Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Holy Cow

You all were not kidding. What Power! More than I expected I had to bring it back down because I could not control it lasted about 20 seconds. Definitly requires some more practice.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ok I have another question
As most of you know I upgraded FWD with a brushless motor. After takeoff she want to do flips and very hard to control. The flips I am wondering if it might be due to tail heavy? She balances at 1 3/4 inches from the leading edge of her wing but just not sure what to do. Any thoughts> Eagerly awaiting any and all replies
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
Ok I have another question
As most of you know I upgraded FWD with a brushless motor. After takeoff she want to do flips and very hard to control. The flips I am wondering if it might be due to tail heavy? She balances at 1 3/4 inches from the leading edge of her wing but just not sure what to do. Any thoughts> Eagerly awaiting any and all replies
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez

Sounds like with a 450 size motor, it may be overpowered. This is OK but did you try to fly at half or quarter throttle? Most electric planes will cruise at half throtte or less and many times the esc and motor are not intended to run at full out for more than 10 to 20 seconds. Use full throttle to abort a bad landing or to acheive a short take off.

I assume by flips you mean the plane wants to climb steeply into a loop....

Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Davidwilga

Default P factor counter

Add rudder as nessissary to counter the p factor
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
earthsciteach

Your cg is in a good location. When you say flips, is she rolling or looping?

If she is looping, can you counter that with down elevator? If so, you should be able to trim the elevator to counter this. Make the adjustment by turning the clevis first, then fine tune with the TX trim.

If she is rolling, it may be prop torque, but that should subside once you gain more airspeed. Try flying on partial throttle and see if it exhibits the same behaviors.

The cub wing generates a lot of lift for that light plane. Now that yours is a lot faster, it will climb like crazy at full throttle. Time to chop that wing down, flatten it out and add ailerons!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 AM
kevinm

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry7cjLlLMA[/media]
this very good vid made me want to try to rebuild my Cub again - it seems to want to fly sometimes -id like to see it fly some more
Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
this very good vid made me want to try to rebuild my Cub again - it seems to want to fly sometimes -id like to see it fly some more
Hi Kevin,

I am happy to see that one of my Videos has encouraged someone to get their Super Cub back to airworthy status! I have all kinds of models and this is an enjoyable model. One thing that I have learned the hard way is that this model does not have any Spar re-enforcement what-so-ever within the Wing assembly and when going into brushless motor power it is highly recommended to provide some sort of re-enforcement to the wing and most especially still use the functional Plastic Struts!!!

I used the 3M High Performance, Clear Packing Tape of 2 inch wide and carefully placed some underneath the wing assembly making it much more rigid and did not require adding a spar as this would have been too intrusive to the wing assembly as I myself try keeping positive G's on the model as much as possible and reason for the graceful mild aerobatic maneuvers.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Sounds like with a 450 size motor, it may be overpowered. This is OK but did you try to fly at half or quarter throttle? Most electric planes will cruise at half throtte or less and many times the esc and motor are not intended to run at full out for more than 10 to 20 seconds. Use full throttle to abort a bad landing or to acheive a short take off.

Thanks no I have not have always done WOT on take off definitly keep this in mind

I assume by flips you mean the plane wants to climb steeply into a loop....

Yes loop is a better word \[

Dave
Originally Posted by Davidwilga View Post
Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
Your cg is in a good location. When you say flips, is she rolling or looping?

If she is looping, can you counter that with down elevator? If so, you should be able to trim the elevator to counter this. Make the adjustment by turning the clevis first, then fine tune with the TX trim.

Agrre tied but she seems to move to fast to react however I will try at slower speed

If she is rolling, it may be prop torque, but that should subside once you gain more airspeed. Try flying on partial throttle and see if it exhibits the same behaviors.

The cub wing generates a lot of lift for that light plane. Now that yours is a lot faster, it will climb like crazy at full throttle. Time to chop that wing down, flatten it out and add ailerons!
You just may be right, ailerons oh yea
Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Very cool
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Hi Kevin,

I am happy to see that one of my Videos has encouraged someone to get their Super Cub back to airworthy status! I have all kinds of models and this is an enjoyable model. One thing that I have learned the hard way is that this model does not have any Spar re-enforcement what-so-ever within the Wing assembly and when going into brushless motor power it is highly recommended to provide some sort of re-enforcement to the wing and most especially still use the functional Plastic Struts!!!

I used the 3M High Performance, Clear Packing Tape of 2 inch wide and carefully placed some underneath the wing assembly making it much more rigid and did not require adding a spar as this would have been too intrusive to the wing assembly as I myself try keeping positive G's on the model as much as possible and reason for the graceful mild aerobatic maneuvers.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
So true in fact I learned this from you as well and have not broken a win since I read that back a few months ago
Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Im sorry but what is the p factor? I have not heard that term before Maybr Pucker factor?

Last edited by Fishbonez; 09-05-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
kevinm

sadly cant say my DSC (dynam) was ever a sure thing, unlike my other planes , my other planes "will" fly , it "might"--(yes i know , 2 things fall out of the sky, bird droppings and planes)- my struts broke here and there, till they evaporated, and i stiffened the wing with some epoxy and ultralite cloth in the vicinity of the fuse - my latest venture with it it owned slightly wrong propulsion system , i like how your red n white SC goes scale vertical ! ! this gives me confidence when my plane can get away from nasty filthy dirt as soon as possible - soooo - what kv and prop do that vertical SC got? 970kv? 9X4.5? my slostick has a low kv and a big prop and i wish my SC was as sure a thing as the SS
Old 09-05-2011, 06:54 PM
earthsciteach

P-factor causes the airplane to want to turn due to the propeller acting like a big old gyroscope.

Try this sometime- Hold a ten speed bike wheel by its axle and give it a good spin. try to let the other end of the axle drop toward the ground. The bike wheel will turn perpendicular to the direction you are pushing the axle (left or right depending on which way you spin the wheel). That's P-factor.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

P-factor causes the airplane to want to turn due to the propeller acting like a big old gyroscope.

Try this sometime- Hold a ten speed bike wheel by its axle and give it a good spin. try to let the other end of the axle drop toward the ground. The bike wheel will turn perpendicular to the direction you are pushing the axle (left or right depending on which way you spin the wheel). That's P-factor.
Oh thanks teach that clears it up a lot. I appreciate that. I was reading maybe some sarcasim there. but that makes a lot of sems. Dave I hope I did not offend you buy sounding sarcasitc wth the Pucker Facotor because believe it or not according to my daughter she see funny faces as I fly so...Again thank you

I did take her up again after reading and heading all of you advice flew great for a moment then went to poop. Reinspected her saw a loose tail tightened her up checked COG suddenly tail heavy so added some weight to the front end Thanks to the neighbor kid and his pinewood derby car and having a ton of extra weights with him. So THANK YOU BOY SCOUTS WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE! Will take her up again today and we get it right again and hopefully have some footage from the minicam
Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 PM
earthsciteach

Sounds like you are working through the gremlins. Myself, I am pulling my hair out with motor issues. Since my SC is stripped to bits for repainting, I decided to pull the motor and esc out of my 800 mm Spitfire and install on the sailplane I found on the curb for garbage last week. Used the two servos from the cub that operated her flaperons for elev and rudder on the 3 channel sailplane. Rebuilt the broken vertical stab (balsa) and covered with clear packaging tape for make-shift monocoat. Seems proper for a trashed airplane.

Now the Spit motor is doing this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSCqaOyA80[/media]

And, finally bench tested my PowerUp 180 motor for my micro-scratch build. I ran it for 2-3 seconds, throttled down, and when I throttled up - nothing. My last name is Murphy, and that damed law seems to be tapping me on the shoulder all-too-often!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

My last name is Murphy, and that damed law seems to be tapping me on the shoulder all-too-often!
I feel ya it was originally called Fish's Law but that damn Murphy took that from me as well
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well it was not a good day for FWD so I have no questions at this moment. All I can say is OUCH!!! Need to rebuild her again, I shall call her FWD2. Oh Hey ailerons More questions to come.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pscG3ULE_L4[/media]
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Fishbonez,

I do not know how much wind you had up there myself but, I have flown my original Super Cub with the Hobby Zone 480 Brushed geared power system in very high winds and it was fun. If setup correctly and some flying skills you can avoid an out-of-controlled situation.

From what I saw in your controlling it seemed like you had too much control throw and too much power causing the model to over react, unless of course I am not seeing it correctly in that Video.

I have used wind to my model's advantage and have FUN commanding my model to crab along the flight line back and forth into the wind without turning it.

Oh, well, better luck next time.

Carlos
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Fishbonez,

I do not know how much wind you had up there myself but, I have flown my original Super Cub with the Hobby Zone 480 Brushed geared power system in very high winds and it was fun. If setup correctly and some flying skills you can avoid an out-of-controlled situation.

From what I saw in your controlling it seemed like you had too much control throw and too much power causing the model to over react, unless of course I am not seeing it correctly in that Video.

I have used wind to my model's advantage and have FUN commanding my model to crab along the flight line back and forth into the wind without turning it.

Oh, well, better luck next time.

Carlos
Oh I could not agree more. I do not beleive I had the skills to fly in that wind. Live and learn. The first few flights were examples of myself performing trial and error. I just will have to build it again and maybe add some ailerons just because. Trust me FWD will return may take some time though
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
dondi

If it is any consolation know that my SuperCub has spent most of it's life in several pieces which look remarkably like yours!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM
earthsciteach

I love my Super Cub. I learned to fly on her without any help. I had a fantastic experience. Once I modified her, I was blown away by the new performance. But, even then, she still retained the forgiving characteristics of the stock plane.

That being said, I am on my second fuselage. I really should be on my third after crashing in a spectacular manner on my school grounds (two days after crashing in barely less a spectacular manner). I almost took out a retiree practicing his golf swing. Couldn't find a replacement fuse at my 3 LHS's, so I glued it back together. I am also on my 2nd set of tail feathers. I should have replaced them months ago, but the plane has such a wide range of operation that I could compensate by shimming, using Starbuck's stir sticks as reinforcement and reinforcing creases in the vertical stab with veneer.

I don't know that I will ever find an airplane that I could be more fond of than my Super Cub. She is amazingly resilient. With the 450 Speed motor from HeadsUp RC (second 450 and esc, btw, because I ruined both due to crashes) and 13 inch flaperons on each wing, this plane never gets old. I've hung my GoPro camera from her and she still perform loops, rolls, and hammerheads with relative ease.

I am now painting her up as an L-4 Grasshopper. She is turning out really nice. I am hoping to have her back in the air by next week. I will proudly share pics of her on Wattflyer once finished. She was my first, afterall.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Build Review New question

Ok I have now added ailerons to FWD and they seem to work at least on the ground so far However while prepping for a taxi run, the motor is inop. All she will do is chirp attempt to turn but act as if she work stuck. The Motor turns freely by hand but once you give her power well...So I tried swapping 2 wires and no change. Obviously it is either the motor or the ESC I am just unsure of which one. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this problem?

I don't want to go purchase a motor or an ESC without being sure the LHS is all the way across town and I need gas money
Thanks in advance
Fishbonez

PS I told ya I would have more questions

Quick Reply: I got a question Super Cub LP type

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10578 seconds with 14 queries