Great Planes Electrifly SE5a - Page 22 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Great Planes Electrifly SE5a

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
7car7

Ya, that's a nice plane, kinda wish I'd bought one when I'd had the chance.

Definitely not the one that this thread is about. I seem to recall there was a Lanier SE5 thread somewhere, to get the best info/responses you might want to see if you could find it.

(don't take that the wrong way, it's not MY thread, and no skin off my nose for posting it. I personally enjoy seeing it.)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
johnp793

I saw a question about the bottom covering earlier in this thread, but no answer. I have some cracks and tears in the bottom of mine and would like to repair them with something other than clear tape! Tower was unable to make a suggestion- has anyone found something that works well?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
bassfisher

If your talking about the bottom wing covering, Its just regular cream Monocoat - I ened up up using some very close covering that I had laying around
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I cover mine with any light color I have on hand then paint it with acrylic paint I mixed to match.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
johnp793

Thanks for the responses. Hobbico's technical support confirmed that the covering on the underside of the SE-5A is cream Monocote, (TOPQ0212). Unfortunately, I had to order a whole roll to deal with a couple of small repairs!!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Henry Sistrunk

That's why for repairs on mine, and there are many, I use any color scrap I have on hand. I figure thats scale. During war times, They would have used what they could get their hands on to feep flying. Beat it to fit and paint to match.
Henry
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 PM
touche

Hi One and All,
It has been a while since there were any adds to the threads on the SpadX111 and the SE5a. I have read most all the threads.
I have a quick question as I am going to get a SE5a kit and I am about to order some parts from Headsuprc.
Servos..when I did my Spad I used servos from HURC the TP-SG90's I found they were a tad too wide (thick) in the wings and caused some bulging to the upper cover. I had glued them to the underwing removable plate. They were a tight fit.
Is the SE5A the same or is there a tad more room in the wing or would I be better to find a thinner servo..
Jeff suggested the 2830-09 motor and the power up 20 amp esc and will order these servo's (4) when the advice comes in..
Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is what I have in mine. The motor and ESC is from HK and cost about $20 shipped. Has plenty of power. I spend most of the time flying at half throtle.

Motor 2410-08
ESC MAG 8 W 18A
Prop 9x7
Battery 3S Lipo
Servos 4 GWS NAROs
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
touche

With your reputation as a rebuilder and plane salvage expert I will take your sage advice with a pinch of salt..keeping in mind that your always looking for new sources for your rebuilds...
thnx
Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by touche View Post
With your reputation as a rebuilder and plane salvage expert I will take your sage advice with a pinch of salt..keeping in mind that your always looking for new sources for your rebuilds...
thnx
Aw shucks, well I had hopes. LOL But I don't need an SE5A but when your Spad bits the dust---------
Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 AM
touche

As this thread has been asleep for a while Is anyone building a SE5a right now. I picked mine up last week and ordered some pieces from HURC waiting on them..Just finished my SPAD XIII. Be a while before I fly it though and it seems Degreen has first dibs. I got to learn to post pixs on here.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

As this thread has been asleep for a while Is anyone building a SE5a right now. I picked mine up last week and ordered some pieces from HURC waiting on them..Just finished my SPAD XIII. Be a while before I fly it though and it seems Degreen has first dibs. I got to learn to post pixs on here.
Do you need pilots? I can send you some vac-u-form hexed ones. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 AM
touche

I stuck a wooden stake (1 in. skewer) in my supplied pilot and a small hole thru his seat. Now he can swivel about and check out the views from both sides of the cockpit..
Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 AM
touche

While both the Spad and Se5a can be threaded I had picked up some various threads/elastic from Michaels. I read in one of the numerous threads not to use the elastic. What would those of you who have done so use. Would you also recommend drilling a small hole thru the base of the struts for threading or just wrap it around and tighten the screws.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

While both the Spad and Se5a can be threaded I had picked up some various threads/elastic from Michaels. I read in one of the numerous threads not to use the elastic. What would those of you who have done so use. Would you also recommend drilling a small hole thru the base of the struts for threading or just wrap it around and tighten the screws.

Brace thread on this plane is for looks only. I used one piece of thread just laid on the ends of the struts not even fastened. The loose ends are tied together under the battery hatch with elastic to keep the thread tight. If I need to remove the wings the thread falls loose. After putting the wings back on I slip the thread back into place.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM
touche

Thanks,
After finishing the Spad which was a nice learning curve I wanted to pre think as much as possible the SE5A as I missed a few chances with the Spad.
It is raining here so I took the day to unscrew the braces. Of course a few would not break loose and I didn't want to damage it. I had run some thin CA over the screws after they were installed and seems they have stuck. Those tiny screw heads strip easy. I will just leave the Spad alone.
I had been looking at the job 7Car7 did on his two.
Anyway I am waiting on a few parts and will Git R dun when they arrive. Guess I can detail a few parts while waiting..
Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
7car7

I'll basically second what Degreen said, the rigging is for style points on this plane. It is clearly one of the stronger planes in the series.

I did drill through the struts for my bracing, tied it all on, and CA'd it.

On my more stock SE5, I made a little hook for each side of the rigging, so I can take the wings off if need be. On my more modded gray one, I used sacrificial lacing instead of a hook. That lacing can be cut away, and replaced if need be, without messing with the main rigging. Main rigging has a loop tied in the end that the lacing goes through.

BTW, I like putting the rigging through holes in the struts, rather than joined to the screws, so that the rigging can stay mostly intact if you need to remove those screws.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zoomed1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	148602   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoomed2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	148603  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
touche

Depressing day today. Started to matte down my plane. Guess I was spoiled by the Spad. All the parts were taped in plastic and it was like Mr Bean taking it apart. They sure do love tape over in China. The wings and tail feathers had been masked together. As I removed the tape the glue stuck to the covering. Then had to remove the glue and found out the blue/red in the roundels was painted and the paint bled.
Anyway got one coat of Liquitex on the fuse and wings. Some of the edge covering has also come loose. Hope this one doesn't become the plane from hades.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
7car7

Some of the edge covering has also come loose. Hope this one doesn't become the plane from hades.
Do you have an iron for covering? I think most of us have had to tack down edges. No biggie.

Don't loose heart. I glued on my exhaust pipes on my first SE5, and had CA dribble all the way down the fuse. I was SO ticked off. (the matte spray I used made it much less visible)

I just love this plane, and you will too. Keep your chin up, you'll be glad you stuck with it.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
touche

Hi everyone,
Well a few days ago the postman delivered, thankfully just before they go on strike. Wacky world we have here. Package from HURC in Fla took 18 days and a package from Tiawan took 9. Both shipped out within a day of ordering. The box from Tiawan was bigger than HURC. When I opened it there were 2 ORg X and one sat rx and 3 plastic air bags..lol.
Got to working on the SE5a again. Wing servos left side took 1/2 hour to fish the extension..Must have scared the right side with all the @%*%! because it took 30 seconds..lol. I had left the rear stabs and fins till I'd done the guts and that turned out to be a job. The Spad sure spoiled me. Cutting tiny notches was no fun job. I had misplaced one servo arm and after 2 hours of searching found it in a box under a flap. When I dry fit it, it bumped up against the fuse tail. Ended up reworking it to stand off a bit. My cowl was a really tight fit and of course I now have a small crack in it.
While waiting for parts I went back and found numerous threads from 2007 and some with great detail pix and threads and rigging.
I had to rework the mount for the motor. Will have to re read some threads re prop adapters etc. As it stands it will be a tight fit prop wise and I may have to move the 3.17 collar out a tad on the shaft.
Looks like I got the twin brother pilot. lol may have to mustache him or something..
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM
wolfewinde

Hi Guys,

Don't know how active this thread is - not many posts in the last couple of months, but here goes.

I have had my S.E.5a for a several years, actually, but took a long break from the hobby and just got back into it recently. Just revived this plane today - it took some damage in storage - and converted it to 2.4.

I only had a few flights on it when I stopped flying for a time, and as I remember, it was a touch squirrely back then - never crashed though.

Should get to re-maiden this one sometime in the next week or so. Will watch this thread to see if it gets more active.

Wolfe
Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 AM
wattman

Welcome back

And yes this SE5a thread just keeps going on , its a great plane , my favorite , the SE5a , in all of its various sizes .
Good luck in your flights with your SE5a .
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 AM
wolfewinde

Thanks, Wattman

I ended up getting her back in the air tonight for a couple of batteries. Pretty much a maiden flight since I changed out the motor and ESC so I had to set everything back up again. And it's been 5 yrs since I flew her last.

She flew more smoothly than I remembered and was pretty close to trim when she took off, just needed a touch of up elevator.

Anyway - I didn't push her much tonight - just trying to get used to the plane again. I like the way this one looks in the air and the way she flies - will probably be one of my favorites.

Wolfe
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
wolfewinde

Have had a couple more flights on this bird now - starting to get comfortable with her. I think I am going to change out the landing gear for something less scale and more practical before it rips out the bottom of the wing. Don't like the LG in this one at all.

Wolfe
Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM
wattman

I also did not like the "stock" landing gear setup , and after trying a couple of different things , I ended up with a 1/8" piano wire axle , and flying the plane ALL the way down to the pavement , and it has done very well for me .
The 1/8" piano wire and wheel collars has been very strong .
I also put this on my Spad when putting it together from the get go .
Works for me here

Quick Reply: Great Planes Electrifly SE5a

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14634 seconds with 15 queries