FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch

Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default More Sunday Morning In-Flight pictures!

Some additional in-Flight Pictures that my buddy Gerry finally gave me today!

These were from this past Sunday morning 01-23-2011 and it was 46 degrees F. here in Orlando, Florida that morning.[]

I uploaded them at Full Resolution!

Enjoy!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Making your Stock Pilot figure more realistic!

Seems like someone over at the "other" RC Site - thread has the right idea about the Stock Pilot Figure...all you need is some imagination and skill to provide a more realistic look (custom) and you have...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Nice Carlos, couple minuets detailing the pilot sure makes a difference.
He's one scary looking guy in stock form.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM
All American

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Some additional in-Flight Pictures that my buddy Gerry finally gave me today!

These were from this past Sunday morning 01-23-2011 and it was 46 degrees F. here in Orlando, Florida that morning.[]

I uploaded them at Full Resolution!

Enjoy!
Carlos,

Your bird looks great! I'm glad to see you're still having fun with her. Your posts as an early adopter are what originally got me excited about this plane.

After many modifications to mine I have been happy as well!

There's a lot of useful info for new owners of this plane in my build blog at the other RC Site.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354954

Regards,

Anthony
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
foamjetpilot
Number 3 wire

I just received the Petie 2nd blue P51 - airframe only w/ retracts. How do I find out what version this one is? Retracts look like the red P51 so I don't think they improved the airframe only kits.

Doug
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
All American

Originally Posted by foamjetpilot View Post
I just received the Petie 2nd blue P51 - airframe only w/ retracts. How do I find out what version this one is? Retracts look like the red P51 so I don't think they improved the airframe only kits.

Doug
Doug,

The FMS Version 6 is not out yet. If you have a Petie 2nd. it's either an FMS Version 5 or an Airfeild Version 2 depending upon where you purchased it.

Regards,

Anthony
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 PM
foamjetpilot
Number 3 wire

Thanks Anthony,

Got it from Nitroplanes and the web site still shows V2. I'll be making the upgrades everyone is doing such as CF for the flying surfaces and wings. Landing gear supports, motor mount, cooling vents. I'll post pictures once I start the build.

Doug
Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up Carter's new Airfield / FMS large EPO P-51D Mustang!

Wednesday morning (03-02-2011) @ Moon Port Modelers RC Club (Titusville, Florida)

It was a very nice morning, low dust as it rained lots the day before and the Grass Field still pretty short and flat for great take-offs and landings.

Carter Rinehart came with his brand new FMS / Airfield P-51D Mustang and I took some excellent pictures using my Digital Canon Rebel XSi SLR camera.

I brought my old and dependable FMS P-51D Mustang (57 inch wing span) EPO Foam with over 65 flights on it. I showed Carter how faster it is using the 2-Blade 13 X 9 propeller and he said that he will get one himself. Of course the 4-Blade looks cool but, the 2-blade is the ticket for strong performance and airspeed.

Lots of Winter members showed up and everyone was nice and pleasant as usual.

First, let me show you my old lady that has over 65 Flights on those wings and she is still going strong!

That Park Zone T-28 "Navy" Trojan is mine as well and it has more than 125 flights on it!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Wednesday morning (03-02-2011) @ Moon Port Modelers RC Club (Titusville, Florida)

Okay, here are some pictures of Carter's new Airfield P-51D Mustang with servoless retracts and the newer lower profile tail wheel.

Carter about to take off...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

More pictures of Carter's In-Flight Action:

Coming in for a Landing!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:44 AM
dmustangman

After reading about your p-51 ,I just had to have one like it !!! Ordered yesterday can't wait. I'm 58 but still a kid and Christmas is goin to be early!!! Thanks for all of your postings.I almost ordered from Nitroplanes then I found wattflyer and glad i have.
Thanks again
dmustangman
Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by dmustangman View Post
After reading about your p-51 ,I just had to have one like it !!! Ordered yesterday can't wait. I'm 58 but still a kid and Christmas is goin to be early!!! Thanks for all of your postings.I almost ordered from Nitroplanes then I found wattflyer and glad i have.
Thanks again
dmustangman
You are most welcomed and let us know if you have any questions.

Congrats on your new acquired RC Mustang model.

Carlos
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Tom Sawyer

I've had one of these laying around for a while in 'semi retirement' due to a lack of a suitable flying site but reading your thread has inspired me to get it airbourne again!

I had flown mine about 4 times and have carried out the following mods:

1) Upgraded elevator servo
2) Opened the cowl for additional cooling
3) Repainted the pilot (!)
4) Fitted aluminium tube and plywood to stiffen the junction with the main wings
5) Changed the plastic servo base in the fuse for a plywood one.

I will also be fitting a Castle Creations BEC I have as the retract servos were overloading things and had to be disconnected!

I noticed that you have additional fixings for the main wings - can you give me details on this?

Also are there any other mods that I have missed that you feel are essential?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Recomendations

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
I've had one of these laying around for a while in 'semi retirement' due to a lack of a suitable flying site but reading your thread has inspired me to get it airbourne again!

I had flown mine about 4 times and have carried out the following mods:

1) Upgraded elevator servo
2) Opened the cowl for additional cooling
3) Repainted the pilot (!)
4) Fitted aluminium tube and plywood to stiffen the junction with the main wings
5) Changed the plastic servo base in the fuse for a plywood one.

I will also be fitting a Castle Creations BEC I have as the retract servos were overloading things and had to be disconnected!

I noticed that you have additional fixings for the main wings - can you give me details on this?

Also are there any other mods that I have missed that you feel are essential?
Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delayed reply.......

The trouble with these models "is" that after so many crashes the vertical bolts that hold wing to FUSE get bent. Thereby, consider a modification that I did for my FMS P-51D Mustang with 57 inch wing span in order to have a better Wing-To-FUSE securing method.

Like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2383

Not to mention the 3M Clear Performance Packing Tape on the bottom of wing assembly.

Hope this helps!
Carlos
Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Tom Sawyer

Thanks, I will try this.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 AM
dmustangman

Hey guapoman

I have started putting mine together now finally ! What CG is yours balanced at ?

Thanks dmustangman
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
yeager1ab

Default FMS P-51 Maiden Take Off

Everyone here is so knowledgeable about this FMS foam bird I thought I would ask before I tried flying mine.

I am relatively new to this addiction... about 3 planes totaled and 2 others now more glue than foam. I have a penchant for P 51, my dad flew one in WWII. I really like the Park Zone P51, BL version. I cut my teeth on the earlier brushed version along with part of the neighbors house on one direct hit. The BL version is very stable and fun to fly. Have become good enough that most of my flying buddies don't run away when I take to the sky. So I thought I would up the stakes and get a bigger, heavier missile. AMA provides $1mill insurance, right?

Since my first Super Cub I have always purchased ARF versions and added the guts. Evidentally my thrust to weight calculator is out of calibration since the 3650 Turnigy and 2645mah batteries turn the PZ P51 into the Space Shuttle.

I have a .46 eflite motor, 5s 3300mah bat, 90 A esc ready to go in the FMS version(??). I had a 60 A esc in at first engine test with the 4 blade prop supplied. Turned on the transmitter, receiver...bolted down the bird started it up and 'POOF'! No more esc.

After the new carpet was installed, I went out and got a Watts Up and 90A Esc and started the system again all the time watt-ching the meter to avoid overload. I got to 85A @ half throttle with this 4 blade and thought 1. that's too close for comfort 2. this prop was just spinning too fast and too powerful for my likes in the house 3. This is nuts! What would happen if it broke loose. So I put on a two blade 13x8 and it is pulling 80A, 1400 watts @ full throttle. So here are my questions:

1. Will this bird fly out of the ARF box? I see all your mods and I wonder if this thing will even get off the ground w/o some serious rework. I usually wait till my first necessary repair or second flight whichever comes first to make any mods.
2. What are the flight characteristics compared to the PZ P51? I would think similar except where they are different.
3. What can I expect as handling compared to the PZ P51? Slower/faster response?
4. Is there any representative version of this FMS P51 in RealFlight?
5. What is the pitch of that 4 blade prop supplied? 13x6?? Yikes that thing draws a lot of current.
6. Is inhaling esc smoke lethal? What are the bi-products of EPO combustion?
7. I am a bit concerned that there is not any venting in the aft of the fuselage for the esc heat. Now...this may change on its own after my first flight from the unconventional landing but are there suggestions prior to flight?

Looking forward to your support. I thank you and my fellow flying colleagues thank you for your ideas for safe flying.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 AM
dmustangman

I'm going to use guapomans upgrades 13x9 prop and wing to fuslage upgrades. Later If I need to change motor and esc i will probably use Turnigy I like them for power and have had no problems.I have few things in common with you. 1) my Dad was in a B-17 and thats my goal to fly someday.2.) I have put a gash in my left forearm almost got stiches,I smashed the mirror on my truck with a PZ Corsair I built a RV9 Efight and tied the plane to the stand but forgot to tie the stand to the work table,yep crashed in the shed on maiden setup. guapoman seems to know alot about this bird, his postings is what sold me on my purchase for one. Good luck if I learn anything I let you know. I have a towers 39" p-51 and mod the langing gear with PZ and have a great time with it. When I make a turn I have to give it alittle up elevator alittle more than I would a sport plane. Good luck ! I'll talk to you later. BE CAREFULL !!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Well, lets see.....

First off, the E-Flite 46 Power is limited to 40-AMPs continuous and 55-AMPs for a few seconds:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4046A

It is my opinion that this FOAM P-51D Mustang was design for easy Scale like flying at scale speeds. I do not believe that the airframe will be able to withstand the stresses of a powerful Electric Setup like yours and to the point that you would need lots of modifications to make it safe to fly at these power levels and it may just be better to get yourself a traditional Balsa / Light Plywood model with the type of power setting you are projecting or expecting.

Any 4-Blade Propeller will load down any Power System "Glow" or "Electric" and in Electric power you need to pay attention to the Kv of the motor. The higher Kv, the Less KT (Torque) and to swing a Scale 4-Blade you need a good balance between both of these motor parameters to allow for scale looks and respectable airspeed and thrust values.

This thread is really not geared in my opinion to teach anyone about the basic or advanced Electrical Setups and suggest to post your questions at the appropriate thread sections such as Power Systems or similar.

If you have any other specific questions about this model and most importantly using the STOCK power systems that come with the model Out-of-the-BOX then, I welcome you back to ask.

Thank you for your understanding.
Carlos

Originally Posted by yeager1ab View Post
Everyone here is so knowledgeable about this FMS foam bird I thought I would ask before I tried flying mine.

I am relatively new to this addiction... about 3 planes totaled and 2 others now more glue than foam. I have a penchant for P 51, my dad flew one in WWII. I really like the Park Zone P51, BL version. I cut my teeth on the earlier brushed version along with part of the neighbors house on one direct hit. The BL version is very stable and fun to fly. Have become good enough that most of my flying buddies don't run away when I take to the sky. So I thought I would up the stakes and get a bigger, heavier missile. AMA provides $1mill insurance, right?

Since my first Super Cub I have always purchased ARF versions and added the guts. Evidentally my thrust to weight calculator is out of calibration since the 3650 Turnigy and 2645mah batteries turn the PZ P51 into the Space Shuttle.

I have a .46 eflite motor, 5s 3300mah bat, 90 A esc ready to go in the FMS version(??). I had a 60 A esc in at first engine test with the 4 blade prop supplied. Turned on the transmitter, receiver...bolted down the bird started it up and 'POOF'! No more esc.

After the new carpet was installed, I went out and got a Watts Up and 90A Esc and started the system again all the time watt-ching the meter to avoid overload. I got to 85A @ half throttle with this 4 blade and thought 1. that's too close for comfort 2. this prop was just spinning too fast and too powerful for my likes in the house 3. This is nuts! What would happen if it broke loose. So I put on a two blade 13x8 and it is pulling 80A, 1400 watts @ full throttle. So here are my questions:

1. Will this bird fly out of the ARF box? I see all your mods and I wonder if this thing will even get off the ground w/o some serious rework. I usually wait till my first necessary repair or second flight whichever comes first to make any mods.
2. What are the flight characteristics compared to the PZ P51? I would think similar except where they are different.
3. What can I expect as handling compared to the PZ P51? Slower/faster response?
4. Is there any representative version of this FMS P51 in RealFlight?
5. What is the pitch of that 4 blade prop supplied? 13x6?? Yikes that thing draws a lot of current.
6. Is inhaling esc smoke lethal? What are the bi-products of EPO combustion?
7. I am a bit concerned that there is not any venting in the aft of the fuselage for the esc heat. Now...this may change on its own after my first flight from the unconventional landing but are there suggestions prior to flight?

Looking forward to your support. I thank you and my fellow flying colleagues thank you for your ideas for safe flying.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Glad to learn and recall that my FMS P-51D Mustang model did come with both the 4-Blade (screw on each blade to the spinner backing hub) "and" the 2-Blade 13 X 9 propeller that looks very close to the APC "SPORT" / "PATTERN" propellers.

Once I used the 2-Blade 13 X 9 that was supplied with my model, I have never looked back as the model has flown much faster at a lower throttle setting because of the higher pitch.

Good luck on your future mods.
Carlos

I'm going to use guapomans upgrades 13x9 prop and wing to fuslage upgrades. Later If I need to change motor and esc i will probably use Turnigy I like them for power and have had no problems.I have few things in common with you. 1) my Dad was in a B-17 and thats my goal to fly someday.2.) I have put a gash in my left forearm almost got stiches,I smashed the mirror on my truck with a PZ Corsair I built a RV9 Efight and tied the plane to the stand but forgot to tie the stand to the work table,yep crashed in the shed on maiden setup. guapoman seems to know alot about this bird, his postings is what sold me on my purchase for one. Good luck if I learn anything I let you know. I have a towers 39" p-51 and mod the langing gear with PZ and have a great time with it. When I make a turn I have to give it alittle up elevator alittle more than I would a sport plane. Good luck ! I'll talk to you later. BE CAREFULL !!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Use the recommended C-of-G location per the manual and lately I have been using some larger capacity (heavier) Esprit Model (EM) Sport, 2600mAH cells and really do not need to worry too much as it provides additional weight up front. I did not need any trim adjustments whatsoever as a result.

Carlos

Hey guapoman

I have started putting mine together now finally ! What CG is yours balanced at ?

Thanks dmustangman
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
yeager1ab

My bad. I am using a Rimfire .46 which specs out at 1000w/1850w constant/burst. Which is more robust than the eflite 46. Rimfire will carry 50 to 100 amp. I am running at a constant 1100 w. Just a little over spec. so I will try backing off on the pitch.

But interesting response. I am not working the 'stock' system for all the reasons that everyone has made all the modifications to the structure and flying surfaces. Stock aircraft are designed and tuned for basic performance and crash worthiness to get the typical user in the air and a fair experience. And...lucky for the customer if you crash it, they have many more stock parts ready. But if you fly the plane a few times you can see many improvements that are not in the stock design because the factory could not support it.

Nice plane. Took my first few flights last week. These larger models don't 'lumber' along but they certainly do fly heavier compared to their smaller more spirited versions.

But I guess that is the diff between 'scale' and 'sport'. And as we get older...certainly is nice to have that millisec more for slower reaction time.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 AM
dmustangman

I have mine ready now ,just need to balance and trim the radio,I've been looking for a 13x9 prop. All APC has, is what they call a pattern prop in that size,whats the difference between sport and pattern ? Should I use a 13x8 sport prop?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 AM
dmustangman

I flew mine today, great take off and had to make NO trim adjustments at all,it flew straight and leval. I used my flaps to land and I noticed it was alittle squirly and was acting like i had a crosswind but it was calm air. after i landed I found that only one flap came down. I going to upgrade to better servos does any one have a preference on which to use and what to use to mount them ?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

I flew mine today, great take off and had to make NO trim adjustments at all,it flew straight and leval. I used my flaps to land and I noticed it was alittle squirly and was acting like i had a crosswind but it was calm air. after i landed I found that only one flap came down. I going to upgrade to better servos does any one have a preference on which to use and what to use to mount them ?
One of my flap servo gave out because you need to pay attention to "Maximum Travel" adjustments if you are not using the normal switch for flaps like I am. I had some issues with the Flap switch so, I placed the flaps on the AUX-2 switch which is really not meant for the two position Flap position option. Nevertheless, I really can not attribute the servo failure by using the AUX-2 because my model has CRASHED a few times!

With any servo you use make sure the operation of the flaps or any control surface does not hum for too long as you maybe over extending maximum travel.

Regards,
Carlos

Quick Reply: FMS Large EPO P-51D Mustang 57-inch

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10845 seconds with 14 queries