Using a push rod for the float water rudder? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Using a push rod for the float water rudder?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default Using a push rod for the float water rudder?

Anyone ever tried using a push rod instead of a cable?

I was not satisfied with the flexibility of using a cable, even though it was secured firmly, so I just tried using a metal push rod straight from the tail rudder to the float water rudder arm. This works out much better, now I'm wondering why I haven't seen others doing this.

Comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCAPADE & MAXFORD WATER RUDDER.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	142784  

Last edited by donjiskra; 02-02-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Bomb Dropper
The Reaper!

Just using a pushrod and balsa ply, or even an old credit card, can work quite well on a tight budget.

All you need is a spare pushrod, a little 5 minute epoxy and an old credit card or junk piece of balsa ply.

Excuse the crude drawing below, I just made it up really quick to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	easy_water_rudder.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	142919  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Bomb Dropper
The Reaper!

But, I have seen people use a pushrod to connect the main rudder to the float rudder at my field when we have our float fly events. I usually use the basic cable method on my planes and haven't had any issues worth mentioning.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

A push rod hooked up as you show will work, BUT there may be problems.

Just sitting on a table, everything should work OK, and in glass smooth water you may be OK, but in rough water, any movement between the floats and the fuselage, will result in a steering effect on the floats as the rudder is held by the servo. Then you make a correction, and then the floats flex the other way and you are over correcting. Gets kind of wild sometimes.

If you use a cable, the flexing of the float mounts has no effect. Mount the outer tube solidly just ahead of each rudder, and tie the cable into a smooth curve.

Or go to the rudder servo inside the plane and allow the cable to come out a small hole close to the float mount, it will be hard to see if your careful.