Great Planes Electrifly SE5a - Page 21 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Great Planes Electrifly SE5a

Old 12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
brutus251
"nin caca da manga"

OK,I got ya. Ive got a bunch of those,I have the ones that come in the little glass jar with the plastic cork and the cable from Michaels.I used them on my Nieuport 11. Now that I look closer I can see the actual swage. Thanks Brutus
Old 12-31-2010, 02:27 AM
wattman

Nice looking Plane and photos , thanks for shareing
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
bassfisher

thought I would add pics of the Lewis MG I added today

Tell me what you think about it
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
bassfisher

Well, both good and bad news about my SE. One news Years day, I had the honor of both the first flight and the first crash in the matter of about 5 seconds. I powered up the SE and performed my control checks. Everything go to go. Applied power and the plane went up in to a steep climb and started coming over on her back. I had no elevator control. She finished the loop and straight in. Broken the bottom wing, the front of the fuse and tore covering. Turned out the elevator horn popped out the of the wood- and was the cause of the crash. After cussing for a couple of minutes, I put her in the trunk and flew a couple other planes. I took her home and decided to fix it. After an all afternoon marathon, she was ready for Sunday morning flying (minus the cowling). Put 5 flights on her and of course after the repairs, flew better than new. Finished replacing all the flying wires last night. She is ready to fight again!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
touche

I'd still be crying and pulling what little hair I got left out. I guess you have crashed a few in your time. Just get back on the horse so they say. Very nice work.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Blazingstar

Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
thought I would add pics of the Lewis MG I added today

Tell me what you think about it
Great job on that Lewis MG. It should have been part of the kit IMHO
please share how you made/mounted it (I'm just starting to read this thread)
You don't happen to have a spare for sale? :-)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Blazingstar

Santa was nice and brought me an SE as a stable mate for my SPAD. 8 flights so far. Park 400, APC 10X4.7, 9 grams servos all around, 3S 2200 battery.
How did you manage to cram a 3S 2200 battery in that small cavity under the nose???!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Well, both good and bad news about my SE. One news Years day, I had the honor of both the first flight and the first crash in the matter of about 5 seconds. I powered up the SE and performed my control checks. Everything go to go. Applied power and the plane went up in to a steep climb and started coming over on her back. I had no elevator control. She finished the loop and straight in. Broken the bottom wing, the front of the fuse and tore covering. Turned out the elevator horn popped out the of the wood- and was the cause of the crash. After cussing for a couple of minutes, I put her in the trunk and flew a couple other planes. I took her home and decided to fix it. After an all afternoon marathon, she was ready for Sunday morning flying (minus the cowling). Put 5 flights on her and of course after the repairs, flew better than new. Finished replacing all the flying wires last night. She is ready to fight again!
When this happens it is a perfect time to change the paint scheme so it no longer looks like all the other ARFs.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM
bassfisher

Blazing - the MG was scratch built. I just downloaded a pic of one and started carving some balsa. The barrel is just a piece of fuel tube. Its is mounted with rare earth magnets. I did more more modification last night and put two magnets under the covering (and recovered it). And the magnet attacehd to the gun itself wil be the only thing that shows. Sorry did not make another (yet). GP has one for the Niueport as a replacement part, but you wuld stil lhave to make the gun slide.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM
bassfisher

As the 2200 battery, just a lot of surgery (I picked up a tip earlier in this thread) with my Dremel tool. It is also secured in with a piece of velcro. Since I tend to be a cheap SOB, I wanted to stay withteh same batteries that Im using in all my other planes. It is mounted at an angle with the rear of the battery basically under the wood holding the front cabines. I'll try to take a pic today. Just have to get a new cowl.

The nice thing was that the balance was perfect from the start. With the rebuild, it is very close, and flies great.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is a file to make a printed paper gun. I print it then glue it on foam to make the gun. I use plastic cotton swab handle for barrel. You can change the size of the gun using a graphic program. Gun is easy and fast to make so if you crash and tear one up just make another.

I made my own cowl for the SE5A using flat plastic. I just cut a flat front. Cut retangle holes for cooling. Glued plastic across the holes to make slots. Glued flat piece around the front to make the sides. If I wanted it to look better I would have filled the joint and sanded the edge round.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lewis10.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	141391   Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	141392  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
7car7

Love your plane Bassfisher! Nice details. What did you use to dull the finish? I like how it's not all perfect and even looking. I sprayed my stock SE5 with matt spray, and it's better that out of the box, but it looks too even.

Sorry about the crash, that stinks.

I joined a field recently, and it makes for great pictures with a nice clear background. Thought I'd share with you guys...

Name:	IMAG0463.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	141412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0466.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	141413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0477.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	141414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0479.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	141415  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
bassfisher

I used Liquitex Matt Varnish (from Michael's) Apply with a foam brush (I get mine at the dollar store). Just clean the surface with some windex to get the fingerprints off. Dont worry about anything else. Apply your first coat in either a horizontal or vertical orientation. Dont let it pool up or have air bubbles in it - just a smooth even coat. Let it dry completely. Then the second coat is applied at a 90 degree angle to the first. Again, no pooling or bubbles. By that time, you should not see any shiny spots. Let dry. Then apply the last coat the same direction as the first coat. Once dry it should look like cloth. Dont try to work it too much once applied, except to get rid of any pooling or bubbles. If you work it too much, it will have a white tint to it when it dries. It will pull off if your are using tape to put a part on, but you can just feather the edges where it has come off, and reapply. I sometimes cheat a little on a small spot by using my covering gun to help dry it.
As for the crash, all damage has been fixed and she flew the next day. Actually a good thing as I was able to reinforce some weak areas. I would not recommend the Matt Varnish on a nitro bird, but its great on an electric to simulate cloth.

I do this when the plane comes right out of the box, before any assembly. It makes it so much easier to make sure everything is done. Then just touch up when needed.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
bassfisher

A couple new photos of the SE5 to show how the battery can be fitting in

I know the hold downs on the battery hatch is not scale, but it does the trick
Since I destroyed the cowling in the crash, Ive ordered a new one, but also decided to make my own from some balsa. Cut it last night and now just letting the glue for the magnets dry til this afternoon. It has been sanded to shape and I am installing cooling fins to look more like the original. Im using the metal covers from old 3 1/2 floppy disks. Should really look good once I get it finished tonight

and a pic of my newest stand ( since modified to hold up to 11 planes)

I built this in case of a possible move to an apartment. Since I cant take my shop, at least I can keep some planes with me and have minimal space lost. About $40 Made from 1" pvc pipe. 7' tall and only 1' wide The "shelves" can be rotated around or just taken off. If anyone wants pics of the finished product, just tell me.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
touche

Very good idea. Just turn the planes outward and you could fly right off the rack
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
bassfisher

I'll have to build a catapult! lol

Ill try to get a good pic of it tonight
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 AM
bassfisher

Some pics of my new cowling

What do you think? The fins need a little adjustment, but thats tomorrow
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 AM
7car7

Love the louvers! Its such a fun plane to mod, just begs for it.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
bassfisher

Think Im done modding it for a little while. Well. might lengthen the Lewis MG rail to look right. The cowl is all balsa, have to see how it does. Replacement plastic one on order. The louvers are made from the alum covers from old 3 1/2 floppy discs. Can be cut with a pair of scissors. Now to just adjust them to make them all look right. Inside the cowling opening is a piece of screen to look like the radiator. All flying wires are attached with strechable thread, had to got rid of the braided SS wire. It was not maintaining the tension I wanted and was pulling the wings out of alignment when they were tightened.

Last edited by bassfisher; 01-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

All flying wires are attached with strechable thread, had to got rid of the braided SS wire. It was not maintaining the tension I wanted and was pulling the wings out of alignment when they were tightened.
I made my brace wires from one piece of thread. It is tied together at the end with a rubber band to keep it tight. The rubber band is hidden under the battery hatch door.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
bassfisher

Last set and the final completed stand

Hope everyone enjoys
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Longtimeflyer

I have not visited these pages for a while, and am so pleased to see some really nice SE5's here! Wow, you guys are doing great work.

Mine is still flying. I have lost count of the number of flights. I take it out on those calm evenings, so that I can appreciate it's scale-like flying characteristics.

Nice to see 7car7 is still active. Go well my friend!

Regards,

Gavin

Name:	IMG_1514.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	143654  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
SHADY
Got Glue??

I can't wait to get mine finished. All electronics are in, need to reassemble wings, install my modded sport wheels that I am covering to look scale.
Also install the motor and prop.
I am told this its a Lanier kit, I got ti 3rd hand and in need of repair.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 PM
7car7

Originally Posted by SHADY View Post
I can't wait to get mine finished. All electronics are in, need to reassemble wings, install my modded sport wheels that I am covering to look scale.
Also install the motor and prop.
I am told this its a Lanier kit, I got ti 3rd hand and in need of repair.
I think the Lanier is a bit larger than the Electrifly version. Post pics!

Ya LTF, I'm still here! My Silver SE5 is the one I always try to bring to the field. Just love it. But I love my stock one too, they're just great planes at either stock weight or lighter.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
I think the Lanier is a bit larger than the Electrifly version. Post pics!

Ya LTF, I'm still here! My Silver SE5 is the one I always try to bring to the field. Just love it. But I love my stock one too, they're just great planes at either stock weight or lighter.
The bottom wing is 38 in. the ailerons are 8.75 in. on lower wing.

Quick Reply: Great Planes Electrifly SE5a

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10211 seconds with 20 queries