A scratch built Wasp from RCM plans - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

A scratch built Wasp from RCM plans

Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 AM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
That reminds me of something I was told so many times in my youth. Something about there was always time to do it right the first time if there was time to do it over a second time.

Standing By,
SJ

Thats a statement I can agree with, cant say I follow it all the time, but totally agree!!
Old 10-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Thats a statement I can agree with, cant say I follow it all the time, but totally agree!!
Same thing here . Too bad these things don't all have crystal balls so we could see where the problems were going to be

Standing By,
SJ
Old 05-29-2010, 02:18 AM
All American

Default Center of Gravity?

Hi,

Time to revive this thread.

Can anyone recommend the optimum CG for the Leisure Wasp?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Anthony
Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I sold mine last summer and I don't have the plans anymore...maybe John will remember. If not we can figure out a good starting point by the dimensions of the wing.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 AM
All American

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I sold mine last summer and I don't have the plans anymore...maybe John will remember. If not we can figure out a good starting point by the dimensions of the wing.
Thanks for the reply,

The wing chord is 8" and I am balancing at 2.5" aft of the L/E or 31.25% back

Regards,

Anthony
Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by All American View Post
Thanks for the reply,

The wing chord is 8" and I am balancing at 2.5" aft of the L/E or 31.25% back

Regards,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

The CG will be around 2"~2.25" back from the L.E.
With that style of wing a good starting point is 25% of the wings chord. Most of the time you won't even have to try anything else.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
All American

Hi Anthony,

The CG will be around 2"~2.25" back from the L.E.
With that style of wing a good starting point is 25% of the wings chord. Most of the time you won't even have to try anything else.

Standing By,
SJ

Hey there John,

Thanks for the reply. I am finally ready to get some air under her feathers.

I was trying to get the CG at 2" but ended up at 2.5" It looks like I need some nose weight. The battery is as far forward as possible and so is the ESC.

Do you remember what you used for covering? I need to pick up some of the yellow and purple.

Regards,

Anthony
Old 05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thinking back I needed to add extra weight up front to get mine to balance so that sounds about right.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Good Morning Anthony,

Glad your about ready to try her out. I'm sure you'll like the way she flies. You can set it up mild or wild or anywhere in-between. You might want to email Jeff at HURC & ask him about what all he's tried with the one I sold him. He tells me that he's very happy with it and loves the way it flies. You can reach him thru his website at www.headsuprc.com or at [email protected]

Sorry, I'm not sure what the covering is as I got it in a "Lot" buy on eBay several years ago. I'm fairly sure that the purple was Monokote but I can't be positive as only a few rolls had any ID as to what it was. Most of the rolls were partial rolls to start with. I do remember though that it was a heavier/thicker covering so it's more than likely Monokote. The Yellow I don't have a clue but it too was thicker/heavier than Econokote so...

Let me know how she flies for you.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 PM
All American

Took her up this morning. I got her to balance without extra weight by using something I have very little of; patience.

With the CG at 2.25" aft of the L/E it flew beautifully, with exception!

SJ, You did a really nice job on this plane! It flew straight and true, the sign of a well-constructed airframe.

The power was anemic though and I had to fly WOT to keep her up. If I cut the throttle, the glide was straight and it did not just stall and fall. Therefore, I can tell the CG was dead on, not nose heavy.

I flew with the GWS EP 9070 x 3 you provided.

Batteries, fresh from Jeff at Heads Up are 3S 20C 1500 Mah.

Watts Up Meter readings:

145 Peak Watts and 12.5 Peak amps.

Wing loading is "Trainer Low" at 12.16 oz. per sq ft.

AUW 25 oz. Approx 93 watts per pound.

I think it's under propped or the motor is not up to the task. Do you have any old notes regarding which motor you installed? I don't want to cook the motor by over propping and without knowing what Outrunner is installed I'm in the dark.

Regards,

Anthony
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Hi Anthony,
So glad it flew good for you. I can't find any of the notes I had on it when doing the prop testing but I seem to recall that it needed a larger dia. prop & that's why I was using the 3-bladed props on it b/c of a ground clearance issue I think. I don't recall which motor that is at all. If you can take a picture of it & get it's measurements & email them to Jeff at HURC then maybe he can tell you what it is since I got it from him I'm sure.

I'll keep looking & trying to remember but it's been a long time since I last flew that one.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 05-30-2010, 01:16 AM
All American

Hi Anthony,
So glad it flew good for you. I can't find any of the notes I had on it when doing the prop testing but I seem to recall that it needed a larger dia. prop & that's why I was using the 3-bladed props on it b/c of a ground clearance issue I think. I don't recall which motor that is at all. If you can take a picture of it & get it's measurements & email them to Jeff at HURC then maybe he can tell you what it is since I got it from him I'm sure.

I'll keep looking & trying to remember but it's been a long time since I last flew that one.

Standing By,
SJ

Thanks buddy!

Regards,

Anthony