Who has a Mud Duck Cricket - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Who has a Mud Duck Cricket

Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
cyclingsarge

Default Who has a Mud Duck Cricket

I just recently built a Mudduck Aviation Cricket. It has been sitting in my garage and with the winter being so brutal this year I decided to go ahead and build it. I wanted to start a thread on others who have built this unusual aircraft. Post your pictures and give a little insight on your build and how it flew. I have not had a chance to fly this aircraft yet due to the weather but I really don't think it is going to fly.

AUW is 32 ounces and when checking the center of gravity it was extreamly tail heavy. Had to actually add some weight to the nose to center it out. For right now it is on display in my office.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cricket4.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	118071   Click image for larger version

Name:	cricket3.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	118072   Click image for larger version

Name:	cricket2.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	118073  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
wilmracer

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuEYulCZm4Y[/media]

It looks like it flies well, but I have no idea what AUW or specs were on their prototype. If that guy can outrun it on foot it looks like it will fly slow and stable all day long...

Haven't built one yet... sorry I can't offer more info.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
MudDuckAviation

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post
I just recently built a Mudduck Aviation Cricket. It has been sitting in my garage and with the winter being so brutal this year I decided to go ahead and build it. I wanted to start a thread on others who have built this unusual aircraft. Post your pictures and give a little insight on your build and how it flew. I have not had a chance to fly this aircraft yet due to the weather but I really don't think it is going to fly.

AUW is 32 ounces and when checking the center of gravity it was extreamly tail heavy. Had to actually add some weight to the nose to center it out. For right now it is on display in my office.

Hi Sarge,

Nice job on your CricKit! I looks sweet!. I going with the assumption you built this from the foamboard kit. If you did you will probably find the plane a little skittish. The draw back to the old foambaord kits was the weight of the foamboard. The model in the video Wilmracer posted is nearly identical to yours except that we replaced the foamboard with Fan Fold Foam (FFF) took the dihedral out, added 3 inches to the wing (without the reflex) and added ailerons.

FFF is 1/3 the weight of foamboard, the finished model results in a plane almost half the weight of a foamboard version (since the rest of the materials and gear still weight the same). The resulting plane flies awesome. I am working on re-releasing the kit as a Depron version (swapping the foamboard for Depron).

I have had a number of people enjoy the CricKit in the foamboard version and think that it flies fine, but some of the original modelers to build it back when it was initially released made teh assumption it was a tiny Mud Duck and would fly the same way (even though all the advertising indictated it was "hyperactive"). Most of those cases were because it was grossly overpowered with an engine bigger than the .10 glow that was the max recommended and therefore the AUW was also getting heavier.

If you never flew a 3-channel plane before, you may prefer adding ailerons, but the rudder-only flight performance is easy if your up for a change. Adding ailerons to your finished model is as simple as cutting the aileron out from the crease line about 1" -2" from the fuselage to the tip. Hinge with tape like the other surfaces double side tape some micro servos under the wing and make a simple linkage, and just run the servo leads into the fuselage. Takes all of about 30 minutes to do. Or you can simply pick up a 36" sheet of FFF and rough out a wing from looking at your current one, leave out the dihedral, add the ailerons and make up some quick and dirty ribs (I can email you the templates) and paint it yellow and you have a spare wing in no time (plus a little lighter).

I haven't gotten any video of the new CricKit due to time and help with a camera or pilot, but I was able to fly in a small lot across from my office very comfortably. In a ~8 mph headwind I cut the throttle at about 30' altitude over my head fed in elevator to hold it level until I was full up elevator and the plane sank slowly nearly vertical, very controlled without tip stalling. I probably could have just landed it like that but nervously, I blipped the throttle just before touching to slow the touchdown. It was a very fun experience.

Just a quick question, what type/size of battery are you using and where did you mount it? We used a 1250 mAh 3s LiPo and had it stuffed in the nose directly under the motor mount (just enough to be out of sight). The bottom panel was open/exposed to allow cooling of the battery and ESC, plus easy access. It looks like we were using roughly the same motor (which was plenty of power).

Again, Good Job! and Good Luck!

Greg

Last edited by MudDuckAviation; 03-06-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by cyclingsarge View Post

Diggin the Army sticker, lol....."Inject the Venom" (1-12 Cav).
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 AM
cyclingsarge

I am using a Rhino 3s 2350 30c rhino and it is mounted inside the hull under the wing. I made an insert from FFF that has lead weight enclosed inside and fits in the space in the nose under the motor. I have not flown the plane yet and I am a little apprehensive about trying it out. But as soon as I get some decent weather and a very calm day I am going to maiden it. If I am successful i will retire it and keep it on display. I don't want to test fate.

I appreciate you comments on the plane and I am sure this thing will be very touchy especially with the short fuse and heavy tail will make it very touchy.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 AM
MudDuckAviation

Actually, it will be after I checked the weights again. Without an engine installed the foamboard was 18 oz. and .10 - 15 size engines typically are 4-5 oz.

If you have a smaller pack I would highly recommend using it and sticking it in the nose. I was using a 1250 pack and could fly for a good long time. The only thing the 2350 is going to do is make it less stable.

The one in the video was well under a pound AUW, so I can't stress enough to not fly yours unless you swap out the battery first. and stick it aas far forward as possible to take the lead out of the nose. It will make all the diference in the world.

Greg