Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 129 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Aces High

Default Love this plane!

Hello. New to RC flying. I have a couple of Nitro trucks but they've never left the ground more than 6 feet or so. I bought an HZ Super Cub LP this Christmas and am now completely hooked. Below you will find a video of her maiden flight that my son and I made. Since the video, it's been raining just about everyday. So...while waiting for the rain I decided to paint her and perform a few modifications. Looking forward to some good flight talk.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qaj2L4Rfk[/media]

Last edited by Aces High; 01-07-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome Aces, the SC looks great!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Yup I was thinking the same Don great looking SC. Welcome to a fun and addictive hobby hope your son is having as much fun as his dad.
John
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 AM
cyclingsarge

Default nice paint

That cub does look really great!!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Default Great job

Great Job there Aces High.
My first real aircraft was a Taylor craft. So always enjoy seeing something close to the old T-craft fly.
SARG5
SEEING AND FLYING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Aces High

Thanks everyone for stopping in to say hi. I appreciate the feedback on my plane. I was really worried about how bad she would show paint damage being that it's painted Styrofoam. I just took her out for a short flight and had some "not so favorable" landings. There were a few places where the paint came off but overall I’m impressed. I keep a small jar of Testors red paint that happens to match the color of the plane perfectly. It seems that it's Styrofoam friendly and touches up the bad spots nicely. There's no reason why I can't keep her looking this way with practiced landings and touch up paint. Thanks again, see you in the threads!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 AM
mickynz

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield View Post
I'm In. Looks good, should be a winner.
Available for Battery/Charger forum moderator if needed.
sounds good here,
who knows the cheapest prices for a wing dragon slow flyer? please
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Warbirdie
Death from above

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so I'll tell you a little bit about me.

I've been involved with RC for a long time. When I was 8 my father and I built a balsa and tissue rubber band glider that crashed catastrophically on it's maiden flight. Since then, I have been obsessed with airplanes. I got my first RC plane when I was 13, so that puts me at about 27 years of experience. I have been through cars, heli's, and many planes. All gas except for some electric cars and trucks. When I got married and became a father my hobbies took a vacation for a bit. a couple of years ago, my wife (knowing that I used to love RC airplanes) got me a RTF Parkzone Firebird. While it wasn't the greatest plane in the world for a veteran pilot, it was my first electric RC aircraft. I would fly it every day I could. It brought back memories of my youth, and while that plane was in the air, I could forget all of the troubles we all have every day. My son finally killed the Firebird (wasn't even crashed, just smashed), I looked at a few other airplanes, but just didn't realize the true performance capable of electrics, so I didn't buy another. MY BAD. This past November (my birthday) my incredible wife bought me another RTF RC plane. This time a Parkzone Slo-V. Again, I was thrilled to be airborn. This time, I tried to get the family involved. And I'm glad I did, because after a few crashes training my children and wife to fly, I had to source parts. The LHS that my wife purchased the Slo-V from didn't have the parts I required (fuse and higher performance prop). They recommended Ultimate Hobbies in Santa Ana. (about a 15 minute drive from where I live) When I went there to get parts, I had to pass all the WARBIRDS.... When I saw the Parkzone F4U Corsair, I knew I had to have one. Actually I spied the P-51 Mustang first, but I have always been a Corsair nut. (The Corsair was the first polystyrene plastic model plane I ever built when I believe I was around 6 or 7). I scoured the internet looking at video and these forums for information about which way I should go. I ended up receiving the RTF Corsair from my AWESOME wife for Christmas (with direct help from me providing a part number and directions to Ultimate Hobbies.) I would have provided part numbers for the Bind and Fly version and a DX6, but we put a cap on our Christmas gift limits. (We do have 4 children after all)

I'll have to say that when I put that plane together, I was genuinely nervous about flying it. It was so beautiful, that I couldn't bear the thought of it nosing into the ground. Just like the old days of building a balsa model from scratch and being terrified about crashing it...Only now, I know that replacement parts are easy to obtain, and they are CHEAP! The maiden flight went without a hitch (well one hitch... On my last landing, one of the landing gear caught a large clump of grass and tore off the strut... A little epoxy and she was good as new.) I've got about 10 flights in on the Corsair now, (and have since had to epozy the other landing gear strut as well) and can't wait to fly it again whenever I can. Even in stock form, and with the lower performance 3 blade prop, I always get an adrenalin rush every time it gets airborne. I would switch to the 2 blade prop, but I just love the way the plane looks with the 3 blade. I always run it with the landing gear, because to me, taking off and landing is a big thrill for me...

I've read somewhere on this forum that the RTF version of the Corsair has been accused of luring a begining pilot into more plane than they can handle. And that maybe all the veteran pilots would rather buy a DX6, or DX7 instead and get the Bind N Fly version instead. Well in defense of the RTF, it was exactly what I needed to get back into the sport completely. Yes, I will have a DX7 transmitter soon, but I suspect that the DX5 will be around for some time. The Spectrum radios are such a huge advancement over the old days of losing a model to some idiot turning on their radio without checking frequencies first are over. I'm now planning on picking up a PZ BL Cub for the family training mule, (or maybe I'll hot-rod the Slo-V with the help of this board) and with any luck, I will have the whole family flying PZ warbirds together one day. I know that a Trojan and a Mustang are going to occupy my hanger soon. I've been looking at other manufacturers, but I am so happy with the PZ planes, that it will take quite a bit before I will switch to anything else... (I have been checking out the Yardbird jets recently however. They look interesting..)

Thank You Parkzone for making such an excellent product. The Corsair is everything I could have hoped for in an exciting precision aircraft... Though retracts, and flaps would be extra cool....(I'll be adding E-flight retracts soon enough. (HINT PARKZONE::: IF OR WHEN YOU EVER RE-VAMP THE SPITFIRE WITH Z-FOAM, FOLLOW THE FORMULA OF THE CORSAIR.. RUDDER. AILERONS. ELEVATOR. THEN INCLUDE RETRACTS, AND MAKE IT WITH FLAPS OPTIONAL LIKE YOU DID WITH THE P-51 AND IT'S RUDDER.)

P.S. Has anyone taken the landing gear and tail wheel from the PZ corsair and installed in on a BL PZ Mustang? Will it work? Is there room to do it without making it look funky?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to making many posts here on Wattflyer.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
donaldtay

Good story Warbird,
Let us know if you get your wife hooked into RC Planes. Are any of your children girls? If so I hope you make a special effor to get them involved.
Many women enjoy the beauty and artistry of our planes but few have a hunger for the sport of flying RC. My wife notices a good finish on the planes I produce but she is not interested in flying. I suspect that it is mostly the result of a history of planes being considered "boy's stuff". I have a son and a daughter, both grown; but i failed to initiate an RC airplane hobby with my daughter as i did with my son.-- big mistake. She should have had the opportunity and if she wasn't interested then thats ok.
There are a few dedicated women flyers on this site and I am sure the participation of women will continue to grow; but the hobby could use wider participation and RC DADS can give it a big boost by teaching their daughters to fly. Hope you can change the balance.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
ecapxela321

Default new to the site not so new to flying

please check out my thread id really like to hear any opinions building scale carl goldberg anniversary cub ep.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...914#post681914
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM
betote

Default betote learning on electrics

Hi guys!

I guess I have to learn a lot.
betote.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Howdy betote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
givmeasmoothy

Thanks for making this sight it has alot of great info about this very addictive hobby. I can see Im gonna have to build a garage to store my planes in. I am new to the hobby and I only have 1 plane so far but I have my eyes on many more.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Welcome aboard great site isn't it. Yup I started the same way with one. Then I found out that it's like potatoe chips you can't just have one. Have fun and enjoy this site lots of good stuff here.

John
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
bryantjt

Default First Time Poster, Sorta First Time Flyer...

Hey guys/gals. I finally decided to post on here. Last summer my girlfriend's father had me flying a Tower Trainer 40 with the buddy box and I LOVED it! It was so much nicer than the 4 and 6 channel helicopters that I had tried previously and sold due to frustration. After flying the TT40 I knew I had to get one of my own at some point. Fast forward to this past Christmas and he gave me the TT40 RTF with radio gear! To hone my skills I've been messing with the FMS simulator using the Skysport 4 channel that came with the TT40. I've always thought the park/slowflyers would be fun so on a whim I picked up a GWS SlowStick and outfitted it through HeadsUpRC with their recommended brushless and 3 cell 1500 lipo.

Today was the maiden voyage of the SS and I had her dad take it on the first flight to trim it out and what not. Being up here in NY we have ~a foot of snow that has an ice crust from this past week's thaw and refreeze. Surprisingly the pizza cutters on the SS stayed on top and it took off just fine....until the wind caught it. With rudder only it doesn't have much authority in the wind and it smacked into the corner of a cinder block wall and put the first few creases in the wing. After that he decided it was too windy to keep trying and took out his brushless UltraStick on skis (.25 sized plane I think....)

When I got home the wind had calmed somewhat so I tried it again and managed to get 2 5-7 minute flights out of it that were relatively uneventful. It is still rather kitelike in the wind but its incredibly fun to make that unassuming plane charge into the wind and slow to an almost standstill (7-12 mph steady wind with gusts) and then loop it over backwards in roughly the same spot. I said relatively because on landing the second time the wind caught it at about a foot off the ground and whipped it around sideways and even with full power I couldn't correct and climb and it went tearing through some brush finally getting tangled in some briars. Somehow it didn't even get a mark on it! There was a trail in the snow where the wing tip was knifing in but I can't find any scuffs on the foam. It did bend the stock piano wire landing gear but it was easily reshaped.

Anyhow the whole point of this is, my name is Joshua and I'm a SS addict!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome bryan and smoothy! Bryan, sounds like an exciting intro to lectric flight! smoothy, horse stalls make great storage areas.... without the horse that is.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
givmeasmoothy

Thanks for the welcoming today from everybody how bout a pole barn Don then i dont have to worry about the horses lol
Old 01-23-2010, 03:42 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Default OKHOBBY

What experance has anyone had with www.okhobby.hk ??

First time I have heard of them

SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Sarge they are new web store. Myself I haven't ordered from them yet.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Thanks, Looks like they may be a lot like hobbyking
SARG5
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
donaldtay

I bought one of their brushless motors that looks like a scorpion clone. The service was good. Right now they have limited products but i would like to see them become competitive with HC
Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Default MOTOR

Lets see what they have to offer in service.
I have sent them a question email ref. the equipment that I want to upgrade my Multiplex Magister.
Let me see what they have to say.
Thanks for the info.

SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default hello fellow rc'ers

hello all ,been visiting this site many times and finally registerd.
looking foward to joining in the build forums,i do love to post pictures of builds and get others feedback.
been building for 2 years and same # years in the hobby.

i'll post one picture of my workshop in the basement and let it speak for my love of this hobby....all are electric...no glow here..lol..

take care all and looking foward to meeting everyone and forming new friendships. stu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dec. of 09 pictures 079.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	119095  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by STUART View Post
hello all ,been visiting this site many times and finally registerd.
looking foward to joining in the build forums,i do love to post pictures of builds and get others feedback.
been building for 2 years and same # years in the hobby.

i'll post one picture of my workshop in the basement and let it speak for my love of this hobby....all are electric...no glow here..lol..

take care all and looking foward to meeting everyone and forming new friendships. stu
Hi Stu
Welcome aboard
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome stu!

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15200 seconds with 15 queries