Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

e-flight beginner here

Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 AM
Stick Dude

Thank you bro!!!!! Im glad it will wear off, the knuckle head at my local hobby didn't warn me, so I perciate the heads up bro!
Attached Images
Old 10-24-2018, 02:38 AM
Stick Dude

Go east young man, lol.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:49 PM
Stick Dude

Note to all e-flight folks.....I am impressed with the talent displayed in this hobby! I'm learning as I go, but there is some seriously talented modelers here! Thanx fer letting me on board, Stick Dude!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM
Stick Dude

What type of radio or brand of radio should I choose for my electric stick? The new to me spectrum or should I get the tried and true futaba?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:37 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Stick Dude
You will get as many different views on this subject as there are 2.4 ghz manufacturers!
In general for the same level of features it largely comes down to what you want to pay but remember the different systems are not necessarily compatible with each other.

RC equipment is now cheap enough that you do not have to consider it as a one off 'life time investment' as you did in the early days!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:20 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by Stick Dude View Post
What type of radio or brand of radio should I choose for my electric stick? The new to me spectrum or should I get the tried and true futaba?
Same make as the people helping you to learn to fly.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:48 AM
Stick Dude

I do recall they were expensive back in the day, I do like the Spectrum rig, It seems to fit in with modern rc pilots.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:50 AM
Stick Dude

Ron, I like the Spectrum rig, they have a combo radio and receiver sales going on. So I think the modern rc pilots are using them round these parts, thanks Ron!
Old 10-27-2018, 02:15 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

The Lemon RX's are dirt cheap and work really well with Spektrum. I must have a dozen or so now. HeadsUpRC carries them and they're great people. LINK Many show out of stock right now but I'll bet restock is only a day or so away.

Joe
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Stick Dude

Thanks Joe! Spectrum it is.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

It's too bad Futaba was SO ridiculously expensive for 2.4ghz in the beginning or I would have stayed with them. Early Spektrum sucked for brownouts leading to crashes. I fought 2.4 until I was forced kicking and screaming by club rules. Then I got the module for my Futaba 9C. Damned near went broke buying expensive Spektrum RX's back then. Prices are much better now and Spektrum is very reliable. Lemon RX's are all I buy now.

I'm still a Futaba fan. My 9CAP will be buried with me! Aside from morons turning on without having the frequency pin I've never had an issue with 72mhz. Now nobody flys 72mhz so my beloved 9CAP is as safe to fly as my Spektrum TX's.

My hangar is about half Spektrum and half Futaba 72mhz.

Joe
Old 10-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Stick Dude

Its a safe bet to buy a Spectrum now, Joe?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Its a safe bet to buy a Spectrum now, Joe?

Oh yeah! 2.4ghz is now reliable enough that you just need to decide what brand you want. Spektrum seems to be the best quality/price point.

Joe
Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Engine {motor} installed, pretty simple, had to ream the prop and the spinner backer, fortunately the prop was machined to accept small precision fit adapters to co-exist with my non- precision reamin', lol!
Prop reaming :

NEVER NEVER use a drill !! Even if its a pillar drill ... the drill wanders off cebtre and the prop can never run true - except by over-sizing and then adaptor ring to correct.

Some advise to buy a Stepped Reamer ... the steps are set to standard props shaft sizes .. Personally I do not like them as props shafts can actually be outside of those steps ... back to adaptor rings again.

I advise (as does APC Prop manufacturer) - the use of TAPERED reamer. That way you just ream .. stop and check .. ream a touch more till it fits ...
The taper is of absolutely no consequence - as the prop derives its drive from being hard up against the thrust washer .. the shaft hole only centres the prop.

https://www.apcprop.com/technical-in...rt-advisories/

Scroll down to where it advises about Shaft holes etc.

Oh and DO NOT waste money on a reamer at Hobby Shop ..... go to a Carpenters Store or buy of eBay ... a carpenters tapered reamer ... why ? The Hobby ones blunt after a couple of props ... the Carpenters jobs last years !! AND they cost about same !!

Nigel
Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Stick Dude

Flight of the 3 wing foamy, crashola! Nose heavy! 2nd flight, stall, 3 adjusted the battery and trim, bingo perfect flight, did a few rudder turns and a nice landing, 4th flight, oak tree yall are in my way! Lost the upper wing and landing gear, dang wind. All in all a great learnin' perience! Foamy glue attached the wing and gear nicely, check radio and prop all free and working correctly, Model back on my desk, on to phase 2,,,,,,Stick dude!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 AM
Stick Dude

Going to the hobby shop, they have a simulator that has a ugly stick programed on it. Time to get used to the big boy! Who knows how the Eine decker and I will get along, but I should do just fine.....
Old 11-04-2018, 01:40 AM
Stick Dude

Stepped reamer is what I purchased, it worked pretty good, I did my red spinner also, the prop came with a insert which I pressed carefully in where it belongs. Ill have it balanced when I head on back to my local hobby shop.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 AM
Stick Dude

Now does anyone have a idear how to build a center of gravity device for airplanes, it shows something fancy, but I figured id make one myself.....
Old 11-04-2018, 02:21 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I've got a couple of different ones. I don't use 'em though. Balancing on my fingers works just fine and doesn't cost a dime.

Joe
Old 11-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Stick Dude

Thanks Turbo Joe! So no fancy gimmics, just follow the instructions where the cg can be found balance it, and mark it for memory, I have some tape dots that I will use.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have a CoG balancer jig ... as TJ ... I don't use it !! I bought it in a brain storm thinking it would be 'gods gift' ... it works but plain finger tips do as well !!

The simplest balancer other than your fingers ?

Two large pencils or rods with rubber eraser on end .... drill a block with a number of holes to suit pencil so you can set width for model ... Put pencils in holes ... balance model on the rounded rubber ends ...

I usually mark the desired CoG point with marker pen dots ... or with triangle sticker ... long point indicates CoG ...

Nigel
Old 11-05-2018, 02:14 AM
Stick Dude

Thanks Nigel, I have a pine block in the garage, and some no.2 pencils in my office, ill get to creating a cool balancer.