Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Cellpro Powerlab 8 Cycle Test Description

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Default Cellpro Powerlab 8 Cycle Test Description

The Cellpro Powerlab 8 along with many other units are capable of performing multiple cycle tests on your batteries.

Recently, I've picked up a two cell A123 receiver pack that had a questionable history. The pack has apparently been damaged, possibly by being run completely dead. Based on my recommendation, this pack has been replaced.

The attached PDF file describing how to interpret the Cellpro Graph output was first published in my RRCC newsletter for the month of May. Perhaps this article will be useful to some of the www.wattflyer.com readers.

Kyleservicetech
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cellpro Powerlab 8 A123 Tests.pdf (322.6 KB, 629 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
1geo1
George

I never read one of your threads without learning, Thank You
Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Interesting. I believe my iCharger will do the same thing but I've never tried it.
In my experience it's usually possible to spot a bad cell after normal use as they tend to drain lower than the others. An I.R. check usually confirms.
Also with a damaged cell the charger will have to work harder during balancing, draining the good cells while trying to 'force up' the voltage on the bad one. This is very obvious on the iCharger as it has little bar graphs to show cell drain current during charging.