WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Anybody repaired a Flyzone SE-5a broken axle?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Griff Murphey

Default Anybody repaired a Flyzone SE-5a broken axle?

Just now I had a hard landing and knocked a wheel off of my park flyer SE-5. The piece left with the wheel is too short to go all the way through the wheel, let alone be mounted in the spreader bar. It looks like the axle snapped off with only about 1mm of the stump showing. My thought is that I will need to try to drill out the remains of the axle and put in a new one. I am a dentist so I can use a high speed air turbine. Looked at the parts offered by Tower and the axle seems like one long piece of piano wire but the part still in the spreader bar won't budge.

Has anyone repaired one of these? I am wondering how long the axle actually is. I am pretty sure it is not a continuous piece all the way through the spreader bar because it does NOT rotate as on their Nieuport. Rather it seems to be two stub axles acc'ed into the spreader bar. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Griff Murphey; 05-08-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Griff Murphey

Default Piano wire in Fort Worth???

Are there any hobby shops in Cowtown that still carry it?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Piano wire can usually be found at Hobby Lobby craft stores if you can't find a "RC hobby retailer"

Any decent hobby retail store should have the wire. I know there are several active RC clubs in the Dallas/Ft Worth area so there should be some hobby shops.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Griff Murphey

Thanks. The plane has two little stub axles that only go a short way - perhaps 3 mm - into the spreader bar. It was probably not possible to mold a hole for the axle all the way through the thing. The factory wire is very brittle hence the sudden breakage.

For what it is worth, for a bad pilot such as myself, I do better repairing loose LG legs and struts with silicon sealer applied with a toothpick, long 1 to 2 hour cure time is the only down side. I regularly break the motor mounts on the two I have owned and I find I feel better putting epoxy on them if I cut a hatch over the motor area so I have good access. After I have the motor epoxied back I tack the panel (I had previously cut out) back, lightly, with white glue. As I say, I am a bad pilot.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 AM
cookmatt67

I had the same issue with mine, i took a straight pin, heated it up with a lighter and holding the pin with a pair of needle nose pliers i melted a hole just below the original shaft and then clipped the straight pin off to shorten it up, inserted in wheel and a drop of ca before inserting into the new hole. works well so far.....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Griff Murphey

My only warning on using a pin is: that is really soft wire. I did learn from the Nieuport that you cannot use brass wire or even stainless steel dental wire; you need that stiff, springy piano wire for rc models. Any serious impact and it is gonna bend seriously.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 AM
GONZAGASPIKE

hey there,
I have 3 of the flyzone SE5's and I've fixed all 3 of the landing gears using a dubro pushrod wire and utilizing my girlfriends ear-ring backs (mental ones) as wheel nuts. I drilled a hole with a exacto knife through the area atop of the big landing gear brace. I've noticed that I get much more forgiveness in heavy landings and a little spring action or "bounce" with no real "cog" or balance issues. I have some pics of this this fix ...but I have not taken the time to go through this site and learn how to post them. I will attempt to try soon to let folks see examples. The fix is not really "pretty" or scale...but it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2 FLYZONE SE5 LAND GEAR FIX.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	171650   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 FLYZONE SE5 LANDN GEAR FIX.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	171651   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 FLYZONE SE5 LANDN GEAR FIX.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	171652   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 FLYZONE SE5 LANDN GEAR FIX.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	171653   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 FLYZONE SE5 LANDN GEAR FIX.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	171654  

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Griff Murphey

I considered this but did not want to weaken the landing gear. The SE5 is an extremely robust plane much stronger than the N-17. When I lose the nut I build up a dollop of thick ACC in layers to hold the wheel on. But you have to be careful....