Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Blades!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 AM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Default Blades!!!

Ok I am very new to the site as you can tell. I have a BIG question that I need answered so that I can start flying my Eagle 50 that I bought for my first Heli.

I am looking at getting some extra pairs of Blades and I know that my blades are 275mm. Now that question I have is this. Can I use any 275mm blade for the Eagle 50, or do I have to keep with Eagle 50 Blades. Reason I ask is this, I have seen several ebay auctions for multiple sets of Blades that are 275mm andthe only thing is, they say they are for a different Heli then what I own.

If someone could please shead some wisdom on me concerning this topic I would be very grateful.

Dan
Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by DanVanAcker View Post
Ok I am very new to the site as you can tell. I have a BIG question that I need answered so that I can start flying my Eagle 50 that I bought for my first Heli.

I am looking at getting some extra pairs of Blades and I know that my blades are 275mm. Now that question I have is this. Can I use any 275mm blade for the Eagle 50, or do I have to keep with Eagle 50 Blades. Reason I ask is this, I have seen several ebay auctions for multiple sets of Blades that are 275mm andthe only thing is, they say they are for a different Heli then what I own.

If someone could please shead some wisdom on me concerning this topic I would be very grateful.

Dan
I am not familiar with that particular helicopter, but in general, no you shouldn't use other things that are not designed for your particular helicopter. If you have enough experience, you can switch things around, but it will affect the way the helicopter flies, and you need a little know-how to predict what effect the slightly different blades will have. If the blades are heavier for example, the motor will have to work harder and you could burn it out, but the rotor will have more momentum, making throttle changes slower and smoother and pitch changes will feel different too. If they have a different shape, your helicopter could be more snappy, or more mushy. There's a multitude of effects you could see with a different type of blades. I think there is a helicopter forum around here somewhere...
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I would stay with the same blades.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to WF Dan, I moved the thread to beginner helis.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Sorry for posting in the Wrong area. I am new.

Thank you very much for the information that you gave me Jasmine. I am curious after reading your post about why then if there are such drastic effects that could happen, why do they make carbon fiberglass blades for the Eagle 50 and knowing a bit about carbon these blades do not weigh as much as the Stock blades. Wouldnt that cause the same effect that you are telling me about with a blade not made for this Heli? Not trying to be a pain or hard to get along with, just trying to understand. I really want to learn what it takes to know the Hobby is all.

Thank you very much for the welcome and the information.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

No problemo, I just didn't want you wondering what happened to your thread!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:11 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Thank you very much for the information that you gave me Jasmine. I am curious after reading your post about why then if there are such drastic effects that could happen, why do they make carbon fiberglass blades for the Eagle 50 and knowing a bit about carbon these blades do not weigh as much as the Stock blades. Wouldnt that cause the same effect that you are telling me about with a blade not made for this Heli? Not trying to be a pain or hard to get along with, just trying to understand. I really want to learn what it takes to know the Hobby is all.

Thank you very much for the welcome and the information.
Well as I said, you can change them, but it will affect the way the helicopter flies. Lighter weight blades will have less momentum, but the motor might be able to spin them faster and use the same amount of energy. If they are designed for that particular helicopter then they will probably work, but if they are designed for some other helicopter there is no guarantee they will work... and they might have an undesired effect. Most helicopters can be 'upgraded' in one way or another, and after-market parts are the best way to do that. If you stick to the ones that are listed as being compatible with your airframe, they will probably be fine, but blades designed for other helicopters are... well... they are designed for other helicopters and might not work.

The point I was trying to make is that there is more involved than the length. Different weight and airfoil shape can have an undesired effect or it can have a good effect, and there might not be any way to know until you put it on your helicopter and have a problem. There is also the issue that they might not bolt onto the head properly, but if they are designed for your helicopter you can be pretty sure they will go right on there securely with no modifications.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Let me start this reply with Thank you very much. You have detoured me from looking at Blades that are not designated for my Heli. I do not want to take any chances on messing anything up or Crashing to bad (kind of like I already have.) I have to order some spare parts for the Eagle 50 already! I have been doing very good in hovering at about 1-2 feet since I just started. Well today I was slowly increasing the throttle to a little higher thinking I would be ok. Well lets just say I have broke the Tail Boom and have to order a new one, plus another set of blades. Thes foam crap Stock blades can not take a drop of impact. So I will order a new pair for the $11.70 (Cheapest I have found). I am glad that I did not just buy the wrong designed blades like I was thinking. I will take your advice to heart and will only buy items that are designated for the Eagle 50. Again thank you and I dont know if I will ever be able to fly this thing or not. It is hard work to figure it out.

I know I know, buy a Sim. Well I have one of those too, but it is a 4 Ch. and I have a 6 Ch. heli. I can fly the Sim very well, and it is far different then the 6 Ch heli I have. I am awaiting an adapter for the Cable that came with my Heli Tx so I can connect it the the 15 Pin female on my Laptop. I had to buy a 9 pin to 15 pin m-m connector. I am hoping that I can get the 6 channel to work on my Sim. I am thinking I might need to buy a new Sim software cause I dont know if FSM will be compatible with a 6 since it is made for a 4. Anyone know anything about it, or am I just stupid and doing ALL the wrong things?

Thank you for all your advice and help, for sure you Jasmine, Thx
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

FMS supports CCPM helicopters, but it does it in a 4-channel way... there's no 'idle-up' mode or anything.

Is this Eagle some kind of coaxial thing or fixed pitch or what?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:15 AM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Jasmine,

All I can do is leave a link for the Eagle 50. I dont really know how to answer you question.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/20neupveea50.html

I really only bought it cause it was about the size I wanted and it was only $109. Not bad in my mine and it is very nice little Copter.:o

I just wanted to get into the Hobby, and I figured this was the best way. I will be saving for something like a Trexx 450 or something much bigger than 22 inches Diameter.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Jasmine,

All I can do is leave a link for the Eagle 50. I dont really know how to answer you question.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/20neupveea50.html

I really only bought it cause it was about the size I wanted and it was only $109. Not bad in my mine and it is very nice little Copter.:o

I just wanted to get into the Hobby, and I figured this was the best way. I will be saving for something like a Trexx 450 or something much bigger than 22 inches Diameter.
That is CCPM - Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing. This means that the swash plate can change the pitch of the blades up and down as well as left, right forward and back. These helicopters typically operate by running the main rotors up to a specific RPM and staying there, and you get up and down control by changing the pitch of the blades... they angle up and down together.

Fixed pitch helicopters go up and down by changing the speed of the main rotor to provide more or less lift. They can't go inverted like yours can.

Coaxial helicopters have two sets of main rotors which rotate in opposite directions, and no tail rotor usually. This allows beginners to learn helicopter flying without worrying about torque effects. They go up and down by changing throttle speeds, and they have a swash plate that changes the left and right and forward and back pitch, usually on only one of the main rotors. They have yaw control provided by a tail rotor, or by slowing down one or the other of the main rotors and letting the helicopter torque around. They are very easy to fly.

This CX2 is an example of a Coaxial helicopter, and this Havoc is a type of fixed-pitch helicopter without a swash plate. The third photo is another type of coaxial helicopter, which uses two ducted fans for control. It's so stable you can't really fly it very well.

I have been looking at the Blade 400 because it comes with a Spektrum radio, and I need one of those really bad, but after talking with a few people about it, I think I will go with the DX7 radio and the T-rex 450. Everyone I've talked to really likes the T-rex, and the Blade 400 may be a little under-powered for this altitude.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpim0199.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	53708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpim0936.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	53709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpim0943.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	53710  
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 AM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

So another words you are telling me that I made a stupid purchase and I should have started out Easy and waited for a MORE advance Heli after I got good. I should have done that, but I am the type of person that I always got after things that are above my skill level... LOL just the way I am.

So let me ask the question. Is there a Sim that will allow me to use my 6 channel Tx on it? I really would like to be able to use what I am gonna have to learn outside.

Thank you so very much for all the explanations that you have given me, I have learned a lot from your info.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

So another words you are telling me that I made a stupid purchase and I should have started out Easy and waited for a MORE advance Heli after I got good. I should have done that, but I am the type of person that I always got after things that are above my skill level... LOL just the way I am.

So let me ask the question. Is there a Sim that will allow me to use my 6 channel Tx on it? I really would like to be able to use what I am gonna have to learn outside.

Thank you so very much for all the explanations that you have given me, I have learned a lot from your info.
No that's really up to you. I looked at the web site and it seems like a really good deal. If you want to go back a step, I really recommend the CX2. I know of a few people who started with Honey Bees and stuff, and they were fine, and a friend of mine has been playing with a Raptor 90 for almost a year and he can make it hover, but not much else. Some folks seem to have a lot of trouble with helicopters, but others do just fine. Helicopter flying has been described very aptly as "trying to balance a bowling ball on a marble" and I think that's fairly true of "full house" helicopters like the one you have. 3D helicopters are very touchy, but that's good if you want to snap around doing cool stunts

RealFlight seems to be fairly good with the helicopter simulation, and FMS is decent too. I don't know personally because I've only flown them on the sim, but helicopter pilots I know say that it's pretty accurate (RealFlight, not FMS). FMS does have helicopters, but it operates in a 4-channel fashion... you have pitch control, yaw, roll, and nick, which is all you need to learn. There is a thread around here somewhere about using a 6-channel radio with FMS, and from what I remember, it doesn't work very well.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Well you know thinking about it a little maybe it would be a fun thing to take a step back for a while and learn a 4 Ch Heli. It just seems that if that is the case then FSM should do the trick, cause it is doing the exact same thing. Teaching me to control a 4 Ch Heli. The one thing I do not want to do is keep busting up my 6 Ch, becasue that is gonna just be stupid.

Maybe I should lay the money down for RealFlight, if it will allow me the abilibty to train on a 6 Ch Tx. If it will not, then I dont want to do that either. Jasmine, again thank you very much for your information and all the help you have given me. Some people just dont take the time.

Last edited by DanVanAcker; 01-27-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Yes, RealFlight G3.5 is on sale most places because G4 is out. I got a good deal on mine because of that. It comes with a full-size dummy radio, and you can plug a regular radio into that thing. You can't run it without plugging in the Realflight radio because that's their copy-protection, but it's not a big deal because their controller feels a lot like a regular radio.

And yes, if you're flying and crashing, I would strongly suggest getting a CX2 or something like it. Replacing parts on helicopters can easily exceed the price of a CX2 really fast. The CX2 has little plastic blades that break pretty easily too, but they are really cheap to replace, about $1 per blade. It also has some aluminum upgrade parts (swash plate, rotor head, bearing) and you should just get those right away.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Ok well I will do some lookin into and see what I can find. I just want to get things in line so that I can learn the best way without costing a Butt load of money and spare parts.

I posted a post in another thread asking about the FMS sim and how when I use the sim it is strange cause for me to make the Heli take off I have to push the Left stick to the right... I thought it would be Up and Down, but that is not the case. I dont know if I have a setting totally wrong, or something is not right. Any ideas?

The CX2 is like almost $180. I think it might be better to get a Real Good Sim instead I think. Maybe I was looking at the wrong website for the CX2, but I will do some research
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Here's another really good video about it...

Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I posted a post in another thread asking about the FMS sim and how when I use the sim it is strange cause for me to make the Heli take off I have to push the Left stick to the right... I thought it would be Up and Down, but that is not the case. I dont know if I have a setting totally wrong, or something is not right. Any ideas?
You have to go into the calibration screen and set the channels. Sounds like you've got channel 4 and channel 3 reversed.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Are these your videos? cause whoever is flying these I really hope I get that good.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Oh and by the way. I loked at what you were talking about with the 3 and 4 channel, I switched the numbers and duh... It worked like a charm. Now this makes a little more sense to me.

Thank you once again.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Are these your videos? cause whoever is flying these I really hope I get that good.
The first one is me with the CX2 in my house. The second one is Dave Herbert, who is the Helicopter God... he invented this stuff. Literally... he designed some of the first RC helicopters back in the 1970s.

It takes some practice. Here's some of my first flights... You have to understand two things though... I have a lot of experience with planes, and the CX2 is super easy to fly. It's a pain to get it trimmed, but once you do, it's really easy.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

Very Very nice flying. Seeing that CX2 in action is really making me think about getting one. And if the parts are not that expensive, that helps too. Thank you for sharing those and I do hope I get that good one day.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

This one is a little more affordable...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cocolama.htm

As you can see, they fly a little better in big rooms. The rotor wash trips it out in a small room...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
DanVanAcker
Wanna be Heli Flyer

sweet. I will take a look at that one and see what I think. I found a two blade on FMS and I could control it very easy. That almost turns me away from getting one, because in a way I think I would spend the money and not learn much about a 6 Ch. Might be the wrong way of looking at it. I do value all this info, Thank you much
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

That is true... you might advance beyond the simple thing very quickly, but then you'll have a helicopter that you can fly very well and you can have fun with it. I have a plane I'm not really ready for, and it's never very much fun to fly, but I can always take out my Slow Stick and be confident that I will have a good flight.

Quick Reply: Blades!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11094 seconds with 14 queries