First ever flight - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First ever flight

Old 01-10-2015, 01:20 AM
mbushell

Default First ever flight

Sorry I cant be more interesting. I bought the apprentice s 15e, and flew it right out of the box. Never had an RC controller in my hands before. Took it off and landed un instructed 3 times... My neighbor came with me to video. He also was able to takeoff and land 3 times. We both flew up to 500 PLUS ft in a 15 mph wind. What a cool beginner plane. Its a hobby I always loved, and didnt have the money to crash and burn until now. SOOOO what is next?
Old 01-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Mogg2112
Coming in hot!

Nice job! What mode were you flying it in? I'm a beginner myself, but I took a different route than you did and I started out with a HobbyZone Champ and recently bought a ParkZone T-28 Trojan. The Apprentice is great because it has beginner, intermediate, and expert flying modes, in addition to SAFE and AS3X technology. If you flew in beginner mode, then perhaps try intermediate mode and see how comfortable you are with it.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:33 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its great to see another join our great hobby ....

Not trying to put a dampner on it ... but be careful if you are relying on SAFE to help you. You need to wean of that over time and get to actually fly the model.
If you are using SAFE and then go to another model without ... it's a disaster waiting to happen.

SAFE is a good tool ... but that's the fact - it's a TOOL that needs to be used to best advantage .. and that means changing through the modes till you are flying without it.

I assume you must be using SAFE beginner mode for both of you to fly straight of with no previous time on Tx ...

But anyway - ENJOY !!

Nigel
Old 01-10-2015, 01:57 PM
speedyb

continue to crash and burn money of course !

on a more serious note..

learn the basics+ of control :

fly the racetrack pattern, level. use aileron and rudder together
(co-ordinated turn).
fly the figure 8
basic loops, rolls, immelman and hammerhead.
the almost-stalled into the wind (plane barely moving)

did I mention landings ?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

What's next is skill improvement.
The goal is learning to control the aircraft with the minimum gyro aid possible.

Some people learn very quickly and easily...
Most not so quick
A few take forever

These new 3 axis stabilization systems with trainer mode that make it difficult to crash can be very good training tools if used right. If you don't slowly reduce dependence on them they can be a crutch that keeps you from ever advancing to flight without it being in trainer mode...

To aid in learning it really does help to find some local RC flyers and get some pointers.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Sham

I've heard good things about the SAFE system, but my advice for the next flight is to turn it down a notch while up high and see how you get on. Maybe even turn it off and see how the bank angles don't undo themselves. But do it at height and give yourself time to recover any mistakes.

You'll see that you need to be a lot more gentle than you think!

However, congratulations on your flights - one of the best things about the system is the whole confidence gaining thing.

Now you've learnt to fly with the system holding your hand, you can learn to take of the training wheels and find your balance.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:11 PM
mbushell

Hey thanks for all the support guys. We both took off and landed in beginner mode, switching to advanced at two to three hundred feet. the wind was perfect to stall the plane into the wind. The safe mode is awesome. Not planning to rely on it forever, but it should help keep me from crashing. did some low slow passes, high loops and stall dives... not sure what to call it. I did alot of research before buying. It was between this and a bixler3. I wanted to buy local, not online. Support my local shop. This is what they had. My next add ons will be larger batts, FPV, and then a boost antenna for distance.

Anyway, the reviews on this plane are spot on. If you dont do anything really stupid. The plane will land on its wheels every time. Into and out of the wind. Takes off in 20ft even flying with a 15mph tailwind. (I tried just to see)

Josh Bixler does a review on this plane, piggybacking a 8ft glider with fpv equipment up to 2000 ft. The plane is a tank, and parts are cheap
Old 01-16-2015, 04:53 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Congratulations on your success. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I will be getting the apprentice soon and can't wait. I have the super cub lp and the basic loops have gotten old so I have been trying different things with it until i get the apprentice.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:22 AM
fishycomics

Congrats as well, sounds like you are hooked? what controller do you have in hand. if you are serous about the hobby, look into a radio. not new to Rc just here Lol

FISH

Last edited by fishycomics; 02-19-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

well i have changed my mind i am getting the pz t28 and the dx5
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

i have the older lp with the fm radio i cant wait to not have to pull and worry about that big long antenna
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

If you're getting bored with the SuperCub, you may be right about the T-28 over the Apprentice. You probably don't need SAFE, and the AS3X on the Apprentice S in my opinion is overkill. I suppose it helps total beginners, but it's already such a stable plane. I would recommend though, if you have the funds, get a computer radio like the Dx6 if possible. Even a used 6i would be a huge step up from the Dx5. If you're like the rest of us, your collection of planes will be growing quickly! Good luck!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mbushell View Post
SOOOO what is next?

Try it with the 'SAFE' autopilot turned off (i.e. try 'experienced mode').. But be warned, do it at a good safe height and be prepared to switch back quickly because you will get a BIG shock!

SAFE is a really clever system but it makes flying so ridiculously easy that it's hard to wean yourself off it. You will find the plane totally different and initially far harder to fly once you turn the stabilising off.

But, you should try to start weaning yourself off asap because you can pick up some really bad habits flying in beginner mode, habits that will be hard to shake off later. For instance, a guy at the field i fly at has the same plane and when he wants to land he just pushes the elevator stick all the way forward against the stop (don't try that without SAFE!)
Old 02-19-2015, 04:18 PM
maxflyer

Though my approach was to start with scratch-built foamy trainers, in order to keep costs down and lower the early pucker factor (I am also a private pilot and home-builder, which helped), I soon became convinced, from reading here, that, if you were willing to spend the money, the Apprentice was today's preferred approach (accepting the fact that you learn a lot more with my approach).

Still, to me, this hobby is similar to several others, where entertainment can begin to take the form of constantly collecting new product to introduce a new thrill and stay interested. I feel that longevity of interest is acquired through the challenge of learning to skillfully accomplish specific maneuvers and procedures.

Aviation, is filled with such challenges, regardless of scale, and this is what keeps me coming back. Pulling off a realistic approach and landing in a gusty wind can be a thing of beauty and immense satisfaction. This is why, as is being mentioned, you want to "get off the crutches" as soon as possible. Bopping around with training wheels might make you feel big in the britches, but the first time you lean into a fast corner without them, the real fun starts.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 PM
fishycomics

You are best to get the DX6. be the best investment ever, if you are sticking to 6 channels, knowing you will want the DX9.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I will be getting the 6i instead of the dx5
Old 03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
fishycomics

they re having small sales at Horizonhobby.com now
Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 AM
birdDog
Charging....

You're going to love the new radio. AEAJR is right, it IS an addiction. 6i will give you ten models. Before you know it you will run out of space! But hey, fun is fun. You never forget your first flight and It just gets better.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:22 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Congrats on your success. You'll love the new radio.

I've always used Spektrum and been really happy with the brand.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:19 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Thanks i think i may have lucked up i found a used dx8 for 200 bucks only been used twice but the guy hasnt called me back so im keeping my fingers crossed.