Best 4CH Trainer Planes - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Best 4CH Trainer Planes

Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Default Best 4CH Trainer Planes

I am looking at the apprentice for my aileron trainer. Does anyone have any reviews or suggestions?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:03 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

The Apprentice is solid. I haven't met anyone who doesn't like it.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

And as someone pointed out in the other thread, the PZ T28 is excellent too. It was my first 4ch plane and it still flies four years later.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

The PZ T28 is a little fast for me to be comfortable. I want one that i can cruize and have plenty of reaction time.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:13 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

OK. Get the Apprentice! You'll love it and you'll have a ton of fun. Don't forget to ping me when you're ready for insanely over-powered 3D planes.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Agreed. I still have my Apprentice. It was my first rc plane, probably had it over 7 years now. But mine is pre-SAFE. I still enjoy flying it. Not only is it handy for buddy boxing anyone who likes to try their hand at rc, but I find its fun doing touch and goes in gusty and windy conditions, and that practice helps me keep my landings good in my other planes. The Apprentice can actually get up some speed and take a little time, or smart maneuvering, to bleed off that speed for a good landing. Good practice as speed control is an important factor for good landings.

A buddy who used to race rc boats and recently got into flying got the Apprentice S for his first plane, and he did complain pretty quickly that it got boring. I blame it on the AS3X, and suggested he try mine without it. He hasn't had the chance yet, but if he decides he likes it, it would be easy to swap out the SAFE rx with a regular one, and the SAFE rx should be easy to sell.

One thing about that SAFE, in beginners mode, it limits the bank so much the turn radius is HUGE! I found we were holding full aileron and rudder to get a decent turn rate, and I didn't like that a beginner learns to hold those at full deflection all through a turn.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Trainers DO get boring once you've got your flying figured out, but that's OK, because a pile of crushed balsa would have been even more boring.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:20 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

yeah i want to stay with foam for a long time
Old 01-06-2015, 04:21 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

i will probably use beginner mode only to land.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:26 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Trainers DO get boring once you've got your flying figured out, but that's OK, because a pile of crushed balsa would have been even more boring.
I'll disagree with you on this one, NJ. Like I said, touch and goes and training others are a couple of things I still enjoy mine for. I also got a keychain camera for Christmas, and which plane got to be the test plane first?

The planes that got boring for me? My PZ Corsair and Dynam Turbojet. Both were great fun at first, but now I'm moving up in performance and I think I only held on to them as long as I did for sentimental reasons.

But I'm one that understands and is glad that not everyone enjoys the same thing. If we did, we'd be driving identical cars and all chasing the same girl!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Cj, sounds like you have the same problem as me. Self confidence in flying. I'm always cautious when stepping up to a higher performance plane. Actually I think it's a good thing up to a point. That way I don't get over my head. I'll bet you'll be done with that SAFE thing after 2 flights, if not the first!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

You're absolutely right! I was mostly speaking from my own experiences and preferences. I've always been fascinated with aerobatics. The crazier, the better. So I was drawn towards aerobatic and 3D planes. But that's not everyone's cup of tea. To each their own. It's all about having the most fun we possibly can!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:36 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I would like to do tricks but i split my super cub in half and i am a little gun shy to do tricks but i know why i crashed. ALTITUDE I have learned my lesson about going high enough well i have to go thanks for the advice and support i will put how the maiden flight goes on here it will be a few months before i get it though.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I really liked my alpha 450 sport.

Uses 9 gram servos, 1800-2200 3 cells and a 450 motor. Anyone with extra parts or a crashed model should have something laying around that will fly it. I used to fly mine in a 90 degree crosswind landing in the width of a road. It pitched up with throttle, bit otherwise had no other bad tendencies, and its almost $100 cheaper in arf form then the apprentice. No safe technology though.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Looked up that Alpha 450. Looks nice, but shows as discontinued on Horizon Hobbies.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:52 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I've decide that I'm going to go with the apprentice rtf Because it comes with a spectrum transmitter.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:05 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Can't go wrong with that! Just do yourself a favor and pick up an extra battery or 2 as well. Just don't but those E-Flite ones. Too expensive and not great quality.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I proved years ago that can be changed ....

I had a Starlight trainer and used to teach people on it ... it was 4ch but I could swap it to 3ch if they wanted ... It had dihedral enough but also the ailerons.

So many times I heard ... Oh it's a trainer - |I need something else now to "really fly" ....

Well I used to take her up on 4ch and show just how wrong they were ... I could roll, loop, invert, square loop, cuban 8 ... stall turn that Starlight ... untidy I admit - but she would do it and without fuss.

Starlight ... a smaller version of the Yamamoto trainer produced by a local modeller for Eastleigh Model Centre in UK ... 20 - 25 glow engine sized high wing job.

Here about halfway through the vid - you see me cavorting that Starlight about ...

Nigel
Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Brian VT

If you've got the $ and have the room for a larger plane, I'd consider the Multiplex Fun Cub. A buddy of mine does some amazing aerobatics with his yet I am quite comfortable flying it (I'm new to 4ch.). With flaps down it will slow to a walking pace.
A smaller/cheaper option is the Ares Gamma 370 Pro. I bought the Pro and also the non-aileron wing for @ $130 (no RX or lipo). I have been flying it 3ch. for a while and I have the 4ch. wing ready to go next session. I love this plane.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Brian VT

Oh...and another friend of mine going from 3ch. gliders to high-wing trainer got a
Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman. The Virtual Instructor™ can be turned off when confidence allows.

How 'bout the Hobbyzone Delta Ray?

Yup. Lots of good choices out there.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

cj2563......

Get yourself a GWS Slow Stick kit, add the alierons.......it will not only help you gain aileron confidence, but also teach you a little about the mechanical application and adjustments.......which will come in very handy after your first couple of mis-haps.........and, it will help you transition from 3ch to 4ch seemlessly..................inexpensive investment with timeless potential.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

The one thing I really like about the PZ T-28 is that you can buy the parts from Motion, Horizon or your LHS and build-up the plane for about $100-$125. Add a Powerup 25 with 50 amp esc and yourself have a hotrod. In its stock configuration, it's a relatively easy flyer with dihedral . We hand launch and belly land them. No flaps but they are not needed.

You won't get bored and can grow into the expanded flight envelope as you get better.

-Hawk
Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I'm also a big PZ T-28 fan......but it was not my first aileron trainer. Rather, my first low wing trainer..........I learned 4ch alieron on Piper Cub's, Bipe's and a couple of modified Slow Sticks.

The Trojan is probably the most predictable and best "glide rate" low wings out there....(stock).........as stated previously, a very forgiving low wing entry level craft (even as a tricycle lander)....and parts are available at nearly all major LHS and e-commerce vendors.........nearly all of us "older" pilots own or have owned one and most never give them up.....very easy to modify like the dahawk mentioned.....
Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Most wings can be modified easily from simple to aileron .... sharp knife, straight edge, sheet balsa or foam to infil and face up wing cutout / ailerons ... cut servo slots and face up with scrap .. use of stiff wire to feed cables ...

There really is no need to spend a lot of money on this .. just a bit of time glue and effort.

Many can even leave the dihedral in - ignore all those cries of Oh No Dihedral on aileron machine !! Or if you like - slit the centre top section and wedge it so wing is flatter ... insert balsa strips to complete the joint again.

Years ago - I used to show learners how to make their 3ch into 4ch ...

Nigel
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I have been looking at the pz T-28 and I think that will probably be my first low wing plane. The apprentice seems to have No bad reviews and isn't just too awfully expensive

Quick Reply: Best 4CH Trainer Planes

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14894 seconds with 13 queries