Scratchbuilt Foamies - Page 119 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Scratchbuilt Foamies

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Smile

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Great to see the master scratchbuilders like Crash and Chellie making great looking planes. I've gotten lazy with ARF's this summer so I'm thinking aout a couple of winter projects: Here's one of them: http://www.freemindmodels.com/IdroJeep/_Overview_.html

Not too early to prepare for next year's float fly !

-Hawk
Looks good hawk,when you going to start the build?
Crash
Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Good question. My boss has a 24 x 18 CNC Co2 Laser. Was going to ask him to cut out the parts. Might be Dec/Jan before I get to it. Looks kind of fun. I crashed my scratchbuilt Sea Dart this summer and lack an amphibian in the squadron.

I do have a 51" WS. 6lb Yak-54 fiberglass/balsa combo ARF that I won in a fundraiser/raffle/fly-in to complete and a couple of other unfinished projects ahead of it. Of course, I look at Chellie's and your masterpieces and just sit there and stare in awe and scratch my head.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Hey, Chellie! Good to see you building. You've been scarce around here; don't think we haven't noticed.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Send it to me and i will do the maiden!
Crash

Seems like I have Heard That one Before LOL
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Hey, Chellie! Good to see you building. You've been scarce around here; don't think we haven't noticed.
Hi I have been taking a little break from RC so i dont get burned out with it Ok Now I am ready to get back into it LOL, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Great to see the master scratchbuilders like Crash and Chellie making great looking planes. I've gotten lazy with ARF's this summer so I'm thinking aout a couple of winter projects: Here's one of them: http://www.freemindmodels.com/IdroJeep/_Overview_.html

Not too early to prepare for next year's float fly !

-Hawk
thats a neet looking Rc vehicle, good luck with the build. Chellie
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Dimeflyer

Crash
Nice plane guy it looks as good as good as Chellie's- Chines arf arf .
Chellie -Shame on you ! You know how to build better planes than they do !
DaHock Your getting lazzy guy best cure for that is build a plane quick guy !
George
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

George,
I know. It's just that I like to take advantage of good flying weather. So, more field time and less bench time. When it's cold and windy here, that's when I revert back to the bench, um, kitchen table.

Doing my hunting and gathering for plans, pieces and parts.

-Hawk
Old 10-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Dimeflyer

Dahawk
Thats better guy , I know what you mean about building in the winter -I don't like the cold if truth be told !
I am still trying to finish the three builds I started in the start of Summer but the honeydo list and the Daughter keep interfering to much for me to gaine any head way
so now that winter is comeing I may get those done and be able to get started on
those 5 Gentel Ladys sailplanes that I finaly got the plans for !!
George
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
Crash
Nice plane guy it looks as good as good as Chellie's- Chines arf arf .
Chellie -Shame on you ! You know how to build better planes than they do !
DaHock Your getting lazzy guy best cure for that is build a plane quick guy !
George
Hi George I am getting in some foam kits from China to sell, But before i sell them, I want to make sure they perform well, these are a foam only kit, no hardware, no art work, just plain foam already cut out, to save some time when building Dont tell anyone but i would rather be flying than building Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Chellie,

Are you gonna fill us in ? You just might have a few very likely customers in the wings. Um.... Website? Ebay store?

Pretty please with a cherry on top?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
SARG5
SARG5

THANK YOU EVERYONE
Love this thread. All one has to do is ask
About a PT-17 BUILD
for a winter project.
SARG5
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
THANK YOU EVERYONE
Love this thread. All one has to do is ask
About a PT-17 BUILD
for a winter project.
SARG5
HA HA all i have to decide if i have more balsa than foam when i want to build anything and right now i stocked up on both before winter hits this weekend. joe
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Dimeflyer

Go Balsa all the way
That used to be my slogan ,but lately I have been kinda slowly getting close to mixing the two and am geting ready to build an nother all foam and fiber plane ?
that is if I have enough foam safe glue on hand ?
I found a small plane for a plane I might build after the Sailplanes !
Can't remember the type it is -sometimers strikes again - if I can
recall it is an patern plane kinda like the yack I think but not realy one of those ?
George
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Yes, Playing around this winter. I have been building all profile up to this point.
Would like to build one along the lines of SIMI-PROFILE, Thinking of trying to BEND
s the 1/2 in foam for the fuz. Not sure how that will work., Then I have to finish and fly the F-22 and the F-16 and the other, and other and other. That is in between, fishing, hunting, camping , traveling and doing the HONEY DUES.
You know the drill
SARG5
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM
road king 97
old hat

Yes, Playing around this winter. I have been building all profile up to this point.
Would like to build one along the lines of SIMI-PROFILE, Thinking of trying to BEND
s the 1/2 in foam for the fuz. Not sure how that will work., Then I have to finish and fly the F-22 and the F-16 and the other, and other and other. That is in between, fishing, hunting, camping , traveling and doing the HONEY DUES.
You know the drill
SARG5
I gave up camping and hunting / building motorcycles and street rods all i want to do is build planes and fly them. I kept one bike and one street rod but i dont ride or drive them very much. I still have the honey dues tho joe
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
I gave up camping and hunting / building motorcycles and street rods all i want to do is build planes and fly them. I kept one bike and one street rod but i dont ride or drive them very much. I still have the honey dues tho joe
I love street rods

one of these days I will Build another one

I took Auto shop in high school and college, so i could fix my own car and not have to pay anyone, see how cheap i am LOL

Then my Father in the 70s bought a 10 wheel dump truck to haul rock and sand with, then Deregulation set in and he could not afford a mechanic to fix his truck, so guess who had to get good at fixing trucks to help support the family, yes me, that Dang truck ruined my love life LOL every weekend i was fixing that truck so my father could get back to work Monday morning, I missed out on a lot of dates in High School and College my Date was that Dang truck But I got real good at fixing trucks and helped to support the Family.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I love street rods

one of these days I will Build another one

I took Auto shop in high school and college, so i could fix my own car and not have to pay anyone, see how cheap i am LOL

Then my Father in the 70s bought a 10 wheel dump truck to haul rock and sand with, then Deregulation set in and he could not afford a mechanic to fix his truck, so guess who had to get good at fixing trucks to help support the family, yes me, that Dang truck ruined my love life LOL every weekend i was fixing that truck so my father could get back to work Monday morning, I missed out on a lot of dates in High School and College my Date was that Dang truck But I got real good at fixing trucks and helped to support the Family.
I bought a 1946 chevy pick up that had a roadside sighn mounted in the back at one time .lol i chopped the top 4 inches and slamed body to the ground ,i welded rack and pinion steering out of a pinto ,boxed in the frame for a 350 four bolt main motor for some giddy up. I have street rodded 31/32/34 fords cars before and even a willys jeepster but its my first and last truck.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM
SARG5
SARG5

SARG5 again
This winter builds. Am going to TRY and go with something along the lines of SIMI-PROFILE. Want to get the batt. , EST, et. inside the fuz. Up to now, I have been using 1/2,3/4 and 2" Blue and pink foam.
QUESTION
Have not tried the Lowes Blue foam that is floor under lay
Or Home Depot pink stuff.
What are the suggestions
YES, I KNOW. Depron is the way to go. Wife has the check book, daaaaaa!
SARG5
Old 10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
road king 97
old hat

SARG5 again
This winter builds. Am going to TRY and go with something along the lines of SIMI-PROFILE. Want to get the batt. , EST, et. inside the fuz. Up to now, I have been using 1/2,3/4 and 2" Blue and pink foam.
QUESTION
Have not tried the Lowes Blue foam that is floor under lay
Or Home Depot pink stuff.
What are the suggestions
YES, I KNOW. Depron is the way to go. Wife has the check book, daaaaaa!
SARG5
The pink stuff as far as i can tell is the replacement for the dow blue foam . I use the 1/4 inch or 6 mm to build with but i think the blue is not being made any more ,i have a siding company that still has a ton of it that no one uses.The real nice stuff to build with is here and you can read all about it .If i ever do a scale plane in foam i would go this route but i use dollar tree foam cause iam to cheap. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

Last edited by road king 97; 10-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Dimeflyer

Chelie
I wish my grand sons would show as much enthusiasm for building things as you have ,the only thing they seem to get into besides trouble is video games ?
I have tryed to get them involved with me in the wood shop and the aircraft but
so far it's no go ??
George
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
Chelie
I wish my grand sons would show as much enthusiasm for building things as you have ,the only thing they seem to get into besides trouble is video games ?
I have tryed to get them involved with me in the wood shop and the aircraft but
so far it's no go ??
George
My Grand kids are the same way, video Games and TV, thats all this new Generation wants to do I take them out fishing from time to time and gold prospecting to get them away from video games, they seem to like model rockets but dont show a big intrest in it, I tried to teach them RC, but again there is no real intrest in it for them, thank goodness they like go carts and mini bikes like me I am a Tomboy big time Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I have the airframe finished on my scratch built Bristol M1C. Next install the RC equipment and motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5107.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	163698   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5108.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	163699   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5109.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	163700  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I have the airframe finished on my scratch built Bristol M1C. Next install the RC equipment and motor.
Looks cool there Degreen
Hope she flys good for ya
Crash
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Wow ,nice job on the Bristol degreen ,all the flying wires make that plane look great. joe

Quick Reply: Scratchbuilt Foamies

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15822 seconds with 16 queries