Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

New ElectroStick 25 from Great Planes

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Default New ElectroStick 25 from Great Planes

Tower catalog came in the mail yesterday and this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTZ8&P=ML

was on the front page. Looks like Great planes is going to attempt to battle the E-Flite Ultra Stick 25.

Anybody have an opinion?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

I like it. Especially the RXR part I loved my Ultrastick mini and miss it (shouldnt have sold it ).
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I like the look, but I'm kinda surprised it doesn't have flaps out of the box.

Actually, if they want to directly compete with the UltraStick 25E, they could do so by changing the covering and adding the quad flaps, and changing the rudder slightly.....

But, those crosses.....oh, someday I will have a German fleet.....
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Yeah, you'd have to modify it to quadflaps - that's 90% of the fun of my MUS

Oh - not flying it for a while and forgetting (in the air) which switch does what can be very entertaining too....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Yeah, you'd have to modify it to quadflaps - that's 90% of the fun of my MUS

Oh - not flying it for a while and forgetting (in the air) which switch does what can be very entertaining too....
Yeah I'll bet it is.....LOL

I was thisclose to getting a MUS because of the flaps.....but when I found out I could make flaperons of the ailerons on my MiniPulse XT, well.....I just like the MPXT better.

But this German scheme.....dang it CC, I was hoping to not want to buy anything for a while......
Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Flaperons and quad flaps are two different beasties Kev. Besides - you haven't really lived until you accidentally couple the ailerons to the flaps on high rates in the middle of a banked turn
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Oh, I know Jeff, but it was a compromise.....

I just have liked the look of the MPXT since I first saw her.....

It was a tough decision between the MPXT and the MUS.

And I just saw the Tower catalog CC referenced on my kitchen table.....oh the dilemmas......LOL
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Yeah I'll bet it is.....LOL

I was thisclose to getting a MUS because of the flaps.....but when I found out I could make flaperons of the ailerons on my MiniPulse XT, well.....I just like the MPXT better.

But this German scheme.....dang it CC, I was hoping to not want to buy anything for a while......

Flaperons? wouldn't that slow you down for landings? It's a lot more challenging to land at wot. I do it all the time....ok ok it's on the nose sometimes but that's part of the challenge.

The stick looks nice but I'm not too sure of those. How do they fly say compared to others?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Kev, I can see I'm going to have to straighten you out personally - there's a 747 jheaded your way (I found a spare) - please get on it. I'm sure after a week or two of flying mine, you'll see the light

Ray - I'd have to know what else you fly to be able to offer a comparison. MUS is a pretty good acrobat, sort of a jack of all trades. I have faster planes, and more maneuverable planes - but this one does most things better than most of my other planes. Sort of a "I'm going to run away and can take only one - which one" (like my 1911)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Kev, I can see I'm going to have to straighten you out personally - there's a 747 jheaded your way (I found a spare) - please get on it. I'm sure after a week or two of flying mine, you'll see the light

Ray - I'd have to know what else you fly to be able to offer a comparison. MUS is a pretty good acrobat, sort of a jack of all trades. I have faster planes, and more maneuverable planes - but this one does most things better than most of my other planes. Sort of a "I'm going to run away and can take only one - which one" (like my 1911)
If you can geta 747 to land at the Sandwich Airport, well, shucks, I'd be impressed!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

You haven't seen China Airlines yet - if they can taxi a 747 over 4" thick asphalt (with the results you'd expect) - Sammich Airport isn't a challenge.

Now, getting the plane back out of Sammich....picky, picky, picky...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 AM
constantCrash
prefectionist

completely off topic, but if anybody has ever been to the science museum in chicago, they have a full size airliner in the museum. It's a 727 that they landed at Meigs field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks

it was not a DC 9 and it did not land on the footbal field.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
completely off topic, but if anybody has ever been to the science museum in chicago, they have a full size airliner in the museum. It's a 727 that they landed at Meigs field

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4tgjSPgks[/media]

it was not a DC 9 and it did not land on the footbal field.
Been there, seen it, been IN it. It is quite cool. As is the rest of the MSI.....

Highly recommended!

OK Back on topic with this thread, please.....
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 AM
rc4stroker
Sport Flyer

I got the E-Flite Ultra Stick 25 PNP already, love it. Looks like the GP is a little bigger airplane. I was going to order the GP version today, but they are out.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I didn't know that E-flite ever made the 25 size stick a PNP. they make the MUS PNP, but that's only 38" wingspan. I wish E-flite made a PNP 52 as they tend to be good deals vs buying all separate.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
rc4stroker
Sport Flyer

Sorry, I called it the wrong name and size.
Here is the link to what I got.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2350

I agree with you and wish they made the larger 40 size airplane. Same goes for the Cub in that size.

Last edited by rc4stroker; 06-18-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I was wrong
Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Anybody have an opinion?
Sure hope it goes together better then most Great Pains ARFs.

Ill stick with E-Flite. My US-25 has flown over 100 sorties with over 800W of power and has not flown apart yet. Wish I could say the same for my Pulse XT 40. :o

Tommy D
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 AM
mred
Super Contributor

I saw the add and was quite impressed until I read it. It only has one aileron servo and that kind of stinks. I'll stick with my E-Flight 25 US and they can keep their ugly stick. to much to change it over to 2 or 4 servo in the wing. Almost have to rebuild it to do it right and that kind of stinks. I have the quad set-up with my ultra stick and it is great fun, but to do the same thing with the other is to much work for an ARF that should have had 2 servos to begin with. I hate when I have to rebuild a plane to make it do what I want. If they are truly trying to compete, then they still have a way to go in my book. Besides, I don't think it will stand up like the E-Flight does.
Ed
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
bassmanh
electrified

mred,

take a look at the manual here = http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma7500-manual.pdf it already has spots for dual ailerons servos it just doesnt come with them. so no it would not need to be rebuilt.

ive been looking at this as a fun knock around plane also so if anyone gets it please post and let us know how it flys. or a video of you flying it would be great also.

bassman
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
mred
Super Contributor

I didn't look at the manual, I just read the add and it said one aileron servo. Didn't say anything about two servos, so I guess they made a mistake in the add, or you can do it both ways.
Ed

P.S. I just took a quick look at the manual and it says one servo with torque rods in the center of the wing, or two servos in the outer wing. That's kind of dumb leaving the rods in there, but I guess you can cut them off to get them out of the way. Does have two servo hookup though, so the add I read wasn't very good in their explanation of the plane. It just said 4 channels and three servos. It didn't say a thing about using two aileron servos.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Default Replacement plane

With my spitfire stolen, I don't have a "sport" type plane. So I'm kind of debating between the MUS and the ElectroStick and I'd like some opinions.

MUS PNP:
450 motor
39" WS
S75 servos
22amp ESC

ElectroStick
ElectriFly 42-40-1000
52" WS
45 amp ESC
ElectriFly ES80

both are withing $10 of each other. Although If I purchased the ElectroStick (GPES) I'd also purchase another servo that it would have dual aileron servos.

the MUS is smaller and I could fly at all my flying sites
the GPES is bigger and would be a better contender at my club site
MUS is floats ready, but I haven't even been near water in almost a year.
MUS can use all the batteries I have currently one at a time
GPES can use most of the batteries i have currently in pairs
Fiance likes the looks of the GPES better (always important)

Does anybody have any experience with the ES80 servos? are they any good? I know the E-flite S75's are known to be kind of crap.

The real answer is "Buy both" but I can't do that just now.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

I am writing a review on this plane. I recieved the R+R model and I had it ready to fly in 45 minutes. That includes photos. We tried to get video last weekend, but it ended up raining one minute after take off, so we had to scrub our plans. Hopefully we will be able to wrap it up this weekend. I did get a full pack flight on it later and it is an awesome flyer.
My only wish is that the Ailerons were larger for a better roll rate. That seems to be the norm of most sticks that I have flown (including the MUS).

The pre-installed ES80 servo's seem to work fine. They haven't complained to me yet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2791.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	74286   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2797.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	74287   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2798.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	74288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2801.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	74289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2805.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	74290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2813.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	74291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2833.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	74292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2835.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	74293  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Hows the power for the stock motor? I've read that the MUS could be considered under powered stock (480 is better) what about the GPES?

Were you running 1 or 2 servos for ailerons?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Heh, shes a little expensive for me, but she looks like a nice plane and flyer.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Hows the power for the stock motor? I've read that the MUS could be considered under powered stock (480 is better) what about the GPES?

Were you running 1 or 2 servos for ailerons?
Surprisingly it is really good. I am accustomed to having to think about replacing the stock power system. As usually any included system is at the bottom of what will really work.

The included Power system flys it really well. The only reason I would think about pulling the power system out is to experiment with 4S. But it works really well.

1 Servo for Ailerons.

Quick Reply: New ElectroStick 25 from Great Planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18697 seconds with 23 queries