3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

New! Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m BNF

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
rudderfeet

Also note that you'll need to put a small strip of velcro (hook side) on your spare 110 mAh batteries. That may make them trickier to fit in the mCX tray, so I'd recommend testing them before velcroing all your batteries.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
rudderfeet

For control throws, the manual recommends flying with 70% rates for the first couple flights, then increasing or decreasing them to taste. That seems to be a good recommendation but I quickly turned down my aileron rate to 60% on low rates, flipped rudder and elevator to high rates (both 100%) and cranked expo up to 30% on all surfaces. I'll probably play with them a lot more though, especially as I move the weight back as far as I can, so don't take my numbers as gospel. I'll also likely move the rudder arm to maximize its throw - something that may help with low-speed control ability (i.e. during 3D flight).
Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM
mjack777
Stay classy, planet Earth

I maxed all the throws on the plane, and it made a huge difference.

Note, I had some binding problems when I reinstalled the aileron horn push rod. It would
work fine to roll right, no roll left. The bottom clip (straight) push rod fastener was rubbing the right aileron control linkage. I trimmed the the rod end to match the top "hook" and that took care of it. Lots of throw!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Darth Elevator
fly, crash, fix, repeat

How did you increase the throw on your ailerons? Last night I maxed elevator and rudder, but it wasn't immediately apparent to me how to do that on ailerons. Did you drill a new hole?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
They give you extra slots to carry more batteries. Many folks use the original packaging as the carry case. Keeps it safe in-transit.

The CONNECTOR is the same, but if you try to use the 70mAh cells in the mCX or the Sukhoi, your flight times will be extremely short. The 110mAh WILL work in all the aircraft taking these cells, and for the Vapor, Ember, Cessna and Citabria you will get extended flight times......
Hi Kev,
Foot went in mouth on that quote - I do appologise.... :o

I meant the same size, and have the 110 for all.
Dont use the 70's unless I am desperate to stay out a little longer.

This SU26 seems to be very well made.

And do agree, with transporting them in the boxes, thats exactly what I do.
Fit them in the car no problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

No harm, no foul drewpy.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
mjack777

Originally Posted by Darth Elevator View Post
How did you increase the throw on your ailerons? Last night I maxed elevator and rudder, but it wasn't immediately apparent to me how to do that on ailerons. Did you drill a new hole?
There is another small hole that is inboard to the stock setup, remove the push rod and mount there.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 PM
rudderfeet

Note that the manual is specific about not increasing transmitter throws beyond 100% or else you can damage the servos. I know that nobody suggested that, but I just wanted to call it out to avoid gnashing of teeth after the fact. On two of my larger models I've rigged up 125% throws without incident, but apparently this little guy doesn't like them.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

that comes from the difference between linear and "standard" servos.

a standard servo's maximum throw is determined by it's potentiometer and possibly a gear stop. Most potentiometers have more than the standard 90 degrees used in servos (up to 270 degrees)

linear servos are limited by the endpoints of the worm drive and are usually set to use the full worm drive. This means if you overdrive them you'll blow out the worm drive - drive gear.

Originally Posted by rudderfeet View Post
Note that the manual is specific about not increasing transmitter throws beyond 100% or else you can damage the servos. I know that nobody suggested that, but I just wanted to call it out to avoid gnashing of teeth after the fact. On two of my larger models I've rigged up 125% throws without incident, but apparently this little guy doesn't like them.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 PM
rudderfeet

Great explanation, thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
mjack777

I also wanted to mention that these servos seem to be active a lot.

Just sitting powered up, you can watch the end gears for the rudder and
elevator servos constantly move and make adjustments (even with no tx input)

noisy too!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM
rudderfeet

Yea, they are noisy, a lot like the digital servos on my Typhoon2 3D.

BTW when you say that increasing the throws made a big difference, what specifically do you mean? I might have been flying mine too slow in a confined space, but I found default (70%) aileron roll rates to be almost overly responsive but elevator and rudder control, even at 100%, to be low.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM
mjack777

I have a lot more travel in my control surfaces now. Before, my rudder seemed almost useless and the Sukhoi wanted to do lazy high loops. I found myself flying with 3/4 throttle and a little up elevator to just fly in a pattern.

After moving to the high rates it feels a little less "Air Hogs" and more Parkzone.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Darth Elevator
fly, crash, fix, repeat

Originally Posted by mjack777 View Post
There is another small hole that is inboard to the stock setup, remove the push rod and mount there.
Thanks, I must have missed it. I'll look again.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
fotowiz

Picked mine up yesterday, and had a blast flying it. First landing on asphalt, broke the prop. Thank God for spare prop with plane. Landing on grass will avoid this in the future. I was very impressed with the performance for the size of the plane. Set low rate on ailerons all the way down to 30% and elevator to 50% with 30% expo, made flying much easier for this old man. Get her up in the air and flip to high rates, and WOW performance is impressive. Does seem a little nose heavy, but I will play with that. First impression is two thumbs up!!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
rc4stroker
Sport Flyer

My flying buddy and I both broke our props on the first landing.
I did not glue the spinner on the new prop, hope that will help the balance?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:06 PM
rudderfeet

Originally Posted by rc4stroker View Post
My flying buddy and I both broke our props on the first landing.
I did not glue the spinner on the new prop, hope that will help the balance?
Yea, let us know! I'm thinking about elongating the battery wires and cutting a slot futher aft for the battery, but will probably do that after exhausting non-destructive mods.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
getfuzzy

Got my Sukhoi yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed. Mine definetly feels nose heavy as well, I set my subtrim to 45 on the elevator to try and keep it flying level at half throttle. I just slightly decreased the aileron throws to 75%, and it was still a little hard for me to handle, I think I'll setup dual rates when I get home and have a few more flights.
I broke my first prop on a takeoff run down the sidewalk, hit a bump, prop ticked the cement and no more prop. I think Parzone is going to make a small fortune on props for this plane! To remedy the situation, I tried to bend my landing gears closer together, and for now I'll be flying off grass till I can afford a pile of props.
I also noticed that it is way noisy, and that there is at times movement of the rudder, when I have in no way input rudder...??? Probably nothing to worry about? Has anyone found an internet supplier that has a slightly cheaper price for parts? I have a feeling I may be needing some!!! Overall this seems to be a very solid, fun little airplane.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Forge

Guys,

Just picked mine up today, and will fly later this evening.

For you guys that have flown this plane, does it have enough power and throw to hover and fly 3-D maneuvers?

Thanks!

Forge
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
getfuzzy

Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Guys,

For you guys that have flown this plane, does it have enough power and throw to hover and fly 3-D maneuvers?

Thanks!

Forge

I don't think this thing has quite the right CG, I did some looking on RCU forums last night, and pretty much everyone agrees that the CG is screwed up. After reading up last night, it sounds as if I could have had a much different experience, had I done more than just move the battery pack as far back as possible and give it a try I think it has the throws, and I'm not sure if its with stock power or not, but there is a video on RCU of a guy doing some pretty wild 3D flying... Hovering etc...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
rc4stroker
Sport Flyer

Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Guys,

Thanks!

Forge
I do not think it has the power or throws. I plan on working on the throws a little more.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Air Brake

i picked on of these up today and yes it will hover and 3D but anything above just lumbering around in the air uses the battery up so quickly i cannot help but be a little dissappointed. i had higher hopes for this airplane. that being said, it flies really well and is a fun fly.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 AM
flyin fish

Default parkzone sukhoi

okay so far i moved all control rods as far inboard to control surfaces as possible, as well as on aileron post (where linkage meets together) i made a spacer and put under the top plastic piece and the post because with my linkage to the inside hole the servo would stick in the furthest position back (even being away from the end of slot a 3/32 or so) and i had to bump start it to get it to center again.
Is it me or is this thing not all its cracked up to be? I dont think I would even call the one I got aerobatic. sporty perhaps! Ill keep moding til i get it right.....
I guess ill just need to plop that co5 outrunner and esc in i bought for it in april when it was suppose to be released!!!........dont get me started on that errrrrrrr
Old 07-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Hey any of you people have a camera. Most new planes people take pictures and video??
Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Darth Elevator
fly, crash, fix, repeat

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Hey any of you people have a camera. Most new planes people take pictures and video??
I shot some video of my friend's maiden last week. I already posted it on rcgroups, where there are quite a few videos, but I'll post it here, too, since the threads over there are so busy that you have to sift through a lot of posts to find the best content.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/5727044[/media]

Quick Reply: New! Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m BNF

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11322 seconds with 10 queries