3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying this plane as well, smoke. It almost makes hovers and harriers too easy, doesn't it? The only problem I have with hovering is being unable to lose altitude (i.e. get closer to the ground) while hovering; it always seems to want to fall out of the hover when I try and bring it closer to the ground during a hover. I think it might have something to do with the rudder giving the opposite effect when the plane is moving backwards. That is to say, when you're giving full left rudder, the wash from the prop tries to turn the prop to the left. However, if you have reverse airflow caused by backwards momentum, left on the rudder will actually work to spin the plane to the right. I think the trick may be to keep the plane as steady as possible so as not to have to try and use much if any rudder at all during the hover.

Oh, and yeah--this plane knife edges like a champ at speed. However, going slower, you really have to push on the rudder to keep it from going towards the ground. If you're really into knife edging, though, you might want to look into picking up one of those Rhythm 3D flat foamie bipes that has a couple threads floating around here on WF. That thing will knife edge straight as a razor all day, even at slow speeds.

Be sure and post some video soon! I'd like to see if I'm able to keep up with your 3D mad skillz.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Yep, that seems to be the same problem I have. It wants to fall out when I try to go lower and I have to bump the throttle to keep it in it. Thus getting higher and higher. I don't think I will be touching the tail or reaching out and grabbing it anytime soon.

I will get some video soon but I don't think you have anything to worry about keeping up with my mad skills . Along with my controlled hovers there were several aborted attempts of the plane flailing about like my thumbs were having a seizure .
Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

So when I went out to make a video this evening I noticed my motor was loose. A little hot glue and a couple of extra pieces of foam for reinforcement and I was on my way. I flew out a couple of packs and then I notice the motor is loose...again . I am not a fan of gluing a ply disc to the front of foam for a mount. I have already learned that lesson on previous planes but thought I would give it another shot. I don't like it. I will cut out another PB3 Yak tomorrow and incorporate a 5" stick for the ply disc to mount to.

The first flights were with a 10x4.7 prop. This evening I used a 10x3.8 and I liked it better.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
So when I went out to make a video this evening I noticed my motor was loose. A little hot glue and a couple of extra pieces of foam for reinforcement and I was on my way. I flew out a couple of packs and then I notice the motor is loose...again . I am not a fan of gluing a ply disc to the front of foam for a mount. I have already learned that lesson on previous planes but thought I would give it another shot. I don't like it. I will cut out another PB3 Yak tomorrow and incorporate a 5" stick for the ply disc to mount to.
I used a combination of Sumo glue and 4 small wood screws. Mine is still as tight as the day I first set it. And that's even AFTER one direct smack into the ground.

Last edited by gzsfrk; 08-26-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default Maybe that's where I am messing up

How long of wood screws? I'm using small 1/4" wood screws to mount the motor to the disc with nothing but glue holding the disc to the foam. I used hot glue this time but have tried epoxy in the past and all with the same results, the disc comes loose.

Maybe with a drop of GG or Sumo on some 1" screws running into the foam it would help me? Is that how you did it?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
glider7

Default Crystals??

I have a hightec single conversion crystal ch49 should this crystal work with the rceciever?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by glider7 View Post
I have a hightec single conversion crystal ch49 should this crystal work with the rceciever?
The only crystal that I know for a fact will work with these cheap-o receivers are the GWS single conversion crystals. A Hitec one might work, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

How long of wood screws? I'm using small 1/4" wood screws to mount the motor to the disc with nothing but glue holding the disc to the foam. I used hot glue this time but have tried epoxy in the past and all with the same results, the disc comes loose.

Maybe with a drop of GG or Sumo on some 1" screws running into the foam it would help me? Is that how you did it?
Oh... I think I misunderstood. I just glued the plywood to the foam using Sumo (I like that it dries a bit harder than GG), and then I used Sumo and screws to attach the Turnigy X-style motor mount to the plywood. I didn't use any screws to attach the plywood itself to the foam.

Sorry--I thought you were saying that your engine mount was coming loose from the plywood.

But yeah--pick up a little tube of Sumo and stick the little wood disc on that sucker good. Hot glue is great for body stuff, but for has-to-be-permanent connections, I loves me some Sumo.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Oh... I think I misunderstood. I just glued the plywood to the foam using Sumo (I like that it dries a bit harder than GG), and then I used Sumo and screws to attach the Turnigy X-style motor mount to the plywood. I didn't use any screws to attach the plywood itself to the foam.

Sorry--I thought you were saying that your engine mount was coming loose from the plywood.

But yeah--pick up a little tube of Sumo and stick the little wood disc on that sucker good. Hot glue is great for body stuff, but for has-to-be-permanent connections, I loves me some Sumo.
Just to jump in here and add some insight, I scratchbuilt a blue foam Yak55 and used just what you fellas are.......the ply disc glued to the foam airframe. I went a little further and added four little angle pieces to give the mount some extra hold. Since I used hot glue though, the weight is up a bit now AUW 12oz. BUT, I have put this plane in right on it's beak once or twice and although the foam behind the mount was folded a little strange (hence the popsicle sticks) the mount never moved.

good luck Smoke!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1372.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	76506   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1377.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	76507  
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've had no problems with the x-mount to the disc it's the disc to foam that I have always had a problem with. And it's not that the disc comes loose from the foam...it takes the foam that it's glued to with it. The pic with the balsa triangle stock is from a previous Yak that I had with the same problem.

I added some triangle pieces of foam to my current Yak but it didn't help either as you can see from the pics. Maybe I'm just hitting the ground harder than I think :o.

Ray your FFF Yak's look great BTW. The extra foam you added covers more area than the pieces I added and I will try it out before I retire this one but I think I will end up with a piece of 3/8th stick like I use on my combat planes on my next one.

Name:	broken mount (Medium).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	76513   Click image for larger version

Name:	way it was (Medium).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	76514   Click image for larger version

Name:	new Yak (Medium).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	76515   Click image for larger version

Name:	new Yak2 (Medium).JPG
Views:	159
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	76516   Click image for larger version

Name:	new Yak3 (Medium).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	76517  

Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Maybe the foam that comes packaged with the Yak-55 from HL is just a bit more sturdy? I dunno.... I really can't complain about the strength of my plane, although I do usually manage to end with a gentle landing.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

I've had no problems with the x-mount to the disc it's the disc to foam that I have always had a problem with. And it's not that the disc comes loose from the foam...it takes the foam that it's glued to with it. The pic with the balsa triangle stock is from a previous Yak that I had with the same problem.

I added some triangle pieces of foam to my current Yak but it didn't help either as you can see from the pics. Maybe I'm just hitting the ground harder than I think :o.

Ray your FFF Yak's look great BTW. The extra foam you added covers more area than the pieces I added and I will try it out before I retire this one but I think I will end up with a piece of 3/8th stick like I use on my combat planes on my next one.
Yeah, I can see now from your photos that although you added a couple of different types of gussets, a support of the entire diameter of the ply disc would've helped or even prevented the separation there.
I am building another copy and although lighter (by far!!) I will incorporate this same mount assy as it has proven itself more than able.

good luck,
Ray
Old 08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'm almost ready for the weekend. The new mount should hold up to my flying style or lack thereof. My last one came in at 10.5 ounces, we'll see watt this one weighs when I get all the gear installed. Hopefully I didn't add too much weight.

Name:	DSCN2474 (Medium).JPG
Views:	141
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	76668  
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I'm almost ready for the weekend. The new mount should hold up to my flying style or lack thereof. My last one came in at 10.5 ounces, we'll see watt this one weighs when I get all the gear installed. Hopefully I didn't add too much weight.
"3D or BUST"---awesome.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've really been enjoying the Yak. I have probably a dozen packs through it now and the new mount is holding up well. At the end of this video you will see why I need a tougher mount . I smack the ground like that at least once every time I fly, watt can I say, I just can't help myself .

[media]http://vimeo.com/1684285[/media]
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I've really been enjoying the Yak. I have probably a dozen packs through it now and the new mount is holding up well. At the end of this video you will see why I need a tougher mount . I smack the ground like that at least once every time I fly, watt can I say, I just can't help myself .

[media]http://vimeo.com/1684285[/media]
Awesome video, smoke--looks like you've been getting a lot of practice with your hovers. I also liked at the 1:30 mark where you got a little frisky close to the ground but managed to somehow pull a maneuver out and keep her airborne.

And yeah--not the prettiest landing in the world; but it did look really cool--you hovering the plane 2 feet off the ground--right up until the point she capsized on you.

One last thing--maybe it was just the way the audio was captured in that video, but it sounds like you might be getting some resonance. You may want to try experimenting with a small piece of electrical tape on the leading edge of one blade or the other on your prop to see if you can reduce that; you might be losing some of your motor and battery's power to vibration.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:51 AM
videorov

Default Hobby Lobby went up in price on the Yak-55

Oh well still not to bad of a price.
I plan to setup a CNC router table setup to make planes like the
Yak and other types to sell for a low price so more people can have fun with them.

Last edited by videorov; 09-12-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

One last thing--maybe it was just the way the audio was captured in that video, but it sounds like you might be getting some resonance. You may want to try experimenting with a small piece of electrical tape on the leading edge of one blade or the other on your prop to see if you can reduce that; you might be losing some of your motor and battery's power to vibration.
Thanks gzsfrk, sorry for the late response but I've been in and out of the hospital this week. My baby boy was born Monday .

I think you're right on the resonance. I checked it out when I got home and I thought my prop was on the "saver" good but obviously not. The back of my prop is wallered out (sp ck ). I'll have to fix that before I take it out again.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:59 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Thanks gzsfrk, sorry for the late response but I've been in and out of the hospital this week. My baby boy was born Monday .
Hey man, congratulations on the baby boy!

My wife and I recently found out that we too are expecting a baby; touchdown is expected around 4/17/09.

Of course, we don't know if it's going to be a boy or girl yet. But either way, I look forward to expanding our squadron with a couple new pilots once my 3yo little girl and this newest addition to our family are old enough to earn their RC wings.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

My wife and I recently found out that we too are expecting a baby; touchdown is expected around 4/17/09.
Congratulations, gotta love them babies
Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

That is kind of a weak spot of the foam plane for sure. I started with that yak and the first one got so nose heavy from epoxying the motor back on I finally gave up on that one and had to order another one. I think it took one yak to figure out the best way to land with without damage. Now I have been reinforcing the nose of my planes with extra foam all the way back past the leading edge of the wing. I didn't have a picture of how I did my yak but here is one that I reinforced (this one I sandwiched the fuse with foam it gave me a larger surface to glue the mount to also). On my yak I added one extra pc of foam on the bottom and the two sides.

Name:	DSC00137 (2).JPG
Views:	130
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	77936  
Old 09-13-2008, 02:46 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks good ekdenton. The stick is working well for me. I've really dorked it in hard a few times...ok a lot of times , and it hasn't busted yet. It has come loose on the bottom half but the stick holds well enough I was able to keep flying and patched it up when I got home. It probably wouldn't hurt for me to add a little extra foam on the bottom but I will probably leave it just like it is. I need to get my AUW weight with the stick. The first FFF Yak I built with no stick weighed 10.5.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
merkzu

I know this is an old thread but I am just getting into flying again. My LHS doesnt have standard size single conversion GWS crystals and my the ones I had (JR and Hitec) didn't work. I just pulled my JR receiver out of my easystar and put it in to get it flying. This thing is a blast to fly. The only things I did different from the first post were that I used 4 servos and used the Leadfeather EPP yak kit from midwestfoamplanes.com. Flew perfect as soon as I tossed it in the air. I've never flown 3D before but I was able to get it to hover a bit and it does great knife edges. Stays pretty level when rolling (and it rolls *fast*). It can do loops almost in place. Has plenty of power for straight vertical. The only problem I had was the tail twists quite a bit and the nose twists a little at full throttle. It still flew great though, I'll stiffen it up a little later.

Sorry to bump an old thread, just wanted to share that this is still a great flyer and super aerobatic. It also flies super gentle and stable when you want it to.

I love this thing, thanks for the thread
Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer merk. I have a Slofly 28 that is similar to the Yak and it is a blast.

Here is a store to get the crystals for the GWS receivers.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ALS/Categories

Old 10-04-2009, 09:54 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Hmm..
Tempting, seems like you guys are having alot of fun with it, i just might have to join.
Ill keep looking around.
--PvT

Quick Reply: Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12225 seconds with 20 queries