3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
JaxFlyer

Here is my set up:
Motor: Same as above set up
ESC: Same as above set up
Servos: Spektrum 7.5g digital servos
Battery: E-Flight 800mAh Li-po
Receiver: Spektrum AR6100 DSM2
I might expirement with the electronics in the future but I will be sure to post some pics of my new yak(Blue/black) when it arrives. Can you guys post some pics of your yak???
Jake
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
ovaleye

Thanks for the info on the esc I didnt think mine would work with 2s but it does. Here is the tech sheet from graysons
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GraysonHobby_18-20-ESC.pdf (70.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by winmanair View Post
Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Hey guys, can you give me some more sources for what ESC's, motors, and servo's to use and where to buy in the US?

Thanks
If you want to buy from a state-side retailer, I think Heads-Up RC is one of the best to buy from. Good prices, and flat-rate $2 shipping on all orders. Also, Jeff provides fast, personal support, and will gladly answer your questions and make recommendations prior to you actually making a purchase from him. In short--he's a seller that "gets" the hobby.

As far as what to buy from him, I think the TowerPro 2410-08 motor he sells compares favorably to the Turnigy 2830 I listed above. I have a couple of them, and while I don't think the TP motors are quite as efficient as the Turnigy motors, they do perform quite well and are a great value. You can buy the 2410-08 motor from Jeff in a combo (with 20A ESC and stick mount included) as well.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 AM
JaxFlyer

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Hey guys, can you give me some more sources for what ESC's, motors, and servo's to use and where to buy in the US?

Thanks
rchotdeals.com has some real good prices for some stuff.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 AM
winmanair

Thanks for the link guys. Great stuff...

After looking all those over, I might have to try HobbyCity after all.

I've found these blue KDA Outrunners that I really like. Can you guys please help me pick which one would be the right fit?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...1&ParentCat=59

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Thanks for the link guys. Great stuff...

After looking all those over, I might have to try HobbyCity after all.

I've found these blue KDA Outrunners that I really like. Can you guys please help me pick which one would be the right fit?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...1&ParentCat=59

Thanks again!!!
I don't have any experience with those motors, but the specs on this one look like they would work pretty well.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 AM
winmanair

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I don't have any experience with those motors, but the specs on this one look like they would work pretty well.
ok, cool. The specks say this:

Dimentions: 28x28mm
Rating: 1050kv
Battery Config: 3 Lipo Cells
Shaft: 3.175mm
Weight: 43gr
Standard Current: 4-12A
Max Current: 15A
Suggested Prop: 9x4.7

What prop. you guys running on your foamy?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
winmanair

Ok, I ended up getting this so far from HobbyCity:

<table class="bordertable" width="550"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3"> <table width="549" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>KDA20-28M</td> <td>hacker Style Brushless Outrunner 2 </td> <td>
</td> <!--<td>-</td>--> <!-- <td>$16.50</td>--> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>TP18A_BESC</td> <td>TowerPro n18A Brushless Speed Cont </td> <td>
</td> <!--<td>-</td>--> <!-- <td>$9.99</td>--> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>R750-20-3</td> <td>Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly P </td> <td>
</td> <!--<td>-</td>--> <!-- <td>$25.14</td>--> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> </td> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

What prop. you guys running on your foamy?
I'm running a 1047 (10"x4.7") on mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Ok, I ended up getting this so far from HobbyCity:

<TABLE class=bordertable width=550><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=549 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>KDA20-28M</TD><TD>hacker Style Brushless Outrunner 2 </TD><TD>

</TD><!--<td>-</td>--><!-- <td>$16.50</td>--><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>TP18A_BESC</TD><TD>TowerPro n18A Brushless Speed Cont </TD><TD>

</TD><!--<td>-</td>--><!-- <td>$9.99</td>--><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>R750-20-3</TD><TD>Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly P </TD><TD>

</TD><!--<td>-</td>--><!-- <td>$25.14</td>--><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Might as well throw in a few GWS orange props while you're at it. They're super cheap, and you can likely add in at least a couple without increasing the shipping cost to the next tier.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
winmanair

Might as well throw in a few GWS orange props while you're at it. They're super cheap, and you can likely add in at least a couple without increasing the shipping cost to the next tier.
Man, already placed the order. I'll probably go down the street to Hobby People and pick up some HS-55's and some prop's.

I hope HobbyCity doesn't take a week to ship out my stuff like they've done to some of my orders in the past.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I hope HobbyCity doesn't take a week to ship out my stuff like they've done to some of my orders in the past.
Just depends on how busy they are. I like how when you go to check your account on their site how they have a list of the status of all open orders; let's you see where yours is currently sitting on the list.

Just be glad you're not placing an order in the January/February. They take like the whole month off from work for holiday, but their website keeps taking orders. Then, when they come back in, it takes FOREVER for them to get caught back up again. I placed an order in early February, and I think it took about 3 weeks before they processed and shipped it out.

But the last order I placed (month or so ago), I think it was only 5-6 days before it got shipped from the time I placed the order. And then it was another week of shipping for the package to arrive here in TN.

It's hard waiting on orders to arrive; that's the big disadvantage of ordering from Hong Kong. But the trick, you see, is to keep placing orders so you always have one coming every few days. Of course, that sort of defeats the purpose of saving money by buying from there in the first place.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM
winmanair

Yea, I expressed the order for an extra few bucks of regular slow mail. I probably won't get my foamy from HB probably till mid next week anyways. I'll take my sweet time building it too.

How much flight time you think I'll get with those 3s 750mah packs?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

How much flight time you think I'll get with those 3s 750mah packs?
It just depends on how you fly it, really. Like I said, I get 7-10 minutes of flight out of my 900mah 2S pack, and that's flying maneuvers the entire time. If I wanted to simply fly it in gentle circles the whole time, I could probably easily get it over 15, maybe even 20 minutes.

All things being equal, a 3S battery will typically pull a bit higher amps at the same throttle position, but since it's 3S, that means more RPMs, and you won't need to keep the throttle as high to get the same performance as a 2S battery.

So that's really just a long-winded way of saying "I don't know". But I highly suspect that you should get at least a solid 6 minutes or so of aerobatic/3D flight time out of the pack (assuming it's a good quality LiPo, of course).
Old 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Hey smoke--did you ever get around to building your Yak? I'm interested to hear how you think it compares to your other flat profile foamie(s).

You too, Frank--did you ever end up ordering one?
Yep, and all the parts.
It's in the basement waiting to be put together; I have a Super Cub conversion that I'm finishing first.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

I'm running a 1047 (10"x4.7") on mine.
I already have a stockpile of those for the Cub, so no issue.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Frank Voikel View Post
Yep, and all the parts.
It's in the basement waiting to be put together; I have a Super Cub conversion that I'm finishing first.
Man--what is it with you guys that stockpile kits? I'm so impatient, I usually have mine built the same evening FedEx drops it off.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:19 PM
HeadMaster

I ordered 3....thats a great deal...thanks for posting.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
winmanair

Looks like my stuff shipped from Hobby City already! WOW, that is a world record breaker for them I think.

I got a DX7, so what do you guys think would be the best receiver to put on this little bad boy foamy?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Reprogrammed the esc for 2 cell...works great. Thanks gzsfrk
Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

i got a dx7, so what do you guys think would be the best receiver to put on this little bad boy foamy?
AR6100? 3.5 grams--lighter is better. Although an AR6000 should work fine as well, even at 7 grams; and range shouldn't be an issue with that receiver since you probably won't be flying this plane as far out as other models.

I also notice that they have the AR6300s for sale now--only 2 grams. Man, they're making stuff small these days. Don't know that I would pay $10 more for 1.5g less weight, though.

Speaking of which--is Spektrum planning to release some cheaper 4 and 5 channel Rxs anytime soon? I'd love to be able to pick up a cheap 4-channel 2.4ghz receiver for $30 or less.

Last edited by gzsfrk; 07-28-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Reprogrammed the esc for 2 cell...works great. Thanks gzsfrk
Thanks go to CHELLIE--I just pointed a finger to her post.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 AM
JaxFlyer

I will probably put a AR6100 on mine, but that would be nice if there was a 30$ receiver with 2.4ghz made by sektrum! They are all just so expensive!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 AM
winmanair

AR6100? 3.5 grams--lighter is better. Although an AR6000 should work fine as well, even at 7 grams; and range shouldn't be an issue with that receiver since you probably won't be flying this one plane so far out as other models.

I also notice that they have the AR6300s for sale now--only 2 grams. Man, they're making stuff small these days. Don't know that I would pay $10 more for 1.5g less weight, though.

Speaking of which--is Spektrum planning to release some cheaper 4 and 5 channel Rxs anytime soon? I'd love to be able to pick up a cheap 4-channel 2.4ghz receiver for $30 or less.
I wanted to put that AR6300, but after finally getting a hold of one of my buddies who use to fly Pro, he says that that receiver uses different connectors and won't work with the HS-50 servo's.

So, its either the AR6100 or AR6100e then.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Has anybody else seen anything like this yet? If it is true how long do the Olympic games last

According to the latest notice from shippers and authorities, any electrical related items like batteries, helicopters, radios, speed controllers, electric motors etc. are not allowed to be shipped since today till end of 2008 Olympic Games & Paralympics.

We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to our customers and dealers, but the situation is totally beyond of our, or the shipper's control.

Thanks for all your loyal support and understanding to HiModel.

The HiModel Team
25th July, 2008

Quick Reply: Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13203 seconds with 11 queries