3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Best 3D Plane So Far?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
pstrdenver

Default Best 3D Plane So Far?

What is the 3D plane that you would say is your best one so far?

Mine?
The Edge 540 BP by E-Flite

It makes all my aerobatics look clean and better. While it is not an easy going easy to fly kinda plane it is a 3D machine.

I'm looking forward to a summer of fun with it.

How about you?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:19 AM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

My best 3D plane was the Sebart Katana 30.. It was an awesome machine.. Went to the 3D gods doing a rolling harrier.. pushed and not pulled.. UPP!!

LATER

2nd would be my 27% Dave patrick Edge 540.. My favorite type plane!! YEA!! Need a 50" model Edge 540 if anyone has leads.. 3Dhobbyshop told me at SEFF it was comming soon.. I HOPE SO!!

LATER AGAIN!!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Chris, what about the Yak? I am not trying to rub salt in the wound, just curious what you thought of it.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:12 AM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

It was OK.. I liked the way it flew. I just didn't like the way it hovered.. I moved and moved and adjusted.. The Kat was 10 times better!!

PLUS.. I don't like the round cowl.. LOL

LATER
Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 AM
powerlines
I AM NO SHOES!!!

WAIT!! I FORGOT>> I WAS TOLD NOT TO TALK TO YOU!!! TRATIOR!! Bemudas.. Or whereever.. You should not have missed SEFF!! Well hope you make the fall and the HEEFFRRRAA or MUFF as BILL says.. You should go to Joe Nall..

Oh yea back on topic.. Mini Funtanna X.. AWESOME FLYING PLANE!!

LATER
Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Twist 3D 40 size works for me. Not the prettiest plane in the world but does what it was designed to do.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Billy Hell (Accel) Sabre for me. Nice profile.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 PM
pstrdenver

After 5 more flights I am still in love with my E-Flite edge 540 bp. Everything is so much easier with it.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM
jobu

I just walked in the door from my 2nd day with the PA Addiction.
So easy to 3d...I'm pretty new and am starting to hover up high 10-15 seconds at a time with a 3dhobby yak. This thing can hover all day, could not believe it. 10-15mph gusts too. I can hold it and recover very easily.
I havent tried much else yet but will let you know.
joe
Old 05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
BuzzardBait
Landing Gear?????????

I’ve got a PA Katana MD in the box……

After a bunch of 3D Foamies…. And one Balsa Profiler…
<O:p
Just looking at it in the box tells me its going to be better than all that came before it!!!!
<O:p
(if they would have had a red addiction.. I would have bought that too!)
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM
pstrdenver

I have yet to learn to hover on any of my planes. But I really want to too. I have heard alot of good things about the PA Addiction.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 AM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

I would guess it depends on what you intend...do you want a plane that will hover almost by itself, or one you need to work with?

I've had a couple of the Foamy Factory 3DX's(both the old prfile and new shocky-type) and they would just about hover themselves. Kind of anti-climactic after trying for so long.....But it's generally a $6.00 sheet of foam and some labor-you're not out much if you lose it, so long as you don't destroy the hardware.

One of my favorites right now is the E3D arf from Gary Wright...the plane can do anything you're capable of. It's hard to beat profiles though, and I find the larger the plane the better it 3-D's. If you've got the cash and space, convert a 40-size GP U-Can-Do.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
bighead93

It is hard to say what the best overal 3-D plane would be but here is a few of my favorites:
Foam Planes;
1) Airfoilz Bipe (Hands down my favorite...hover all day...best elevator of any plane I have ever flown!

2) Airfoilz Extra 260 (The best of both worlds...nice and smooth...very easy to fly and 3-D. Makes me look like I know what I am doing!!)

3) A close 3rd, the Airfoilz Yak, Edge and haven't finished the Full Fuse Yak just yet! (The profiles fly similar...the Edge tumbles better and the Yak tracks better...can't wait to finish up the full fuse Yak!)

EPP Planes;
1) The Lightflight "Bug" (A must have!! Most fun I have had with flying in years! Can be flown almost anywhere...even in the garage!)

2) The Flash (A little soft for my taste...flies great...3-D...its ok)

Balsa Planes;
1) 3DH Velox (This thing is plain crazy...better have a pot of coffee before flying!! Things happen fast with this bird!

2) PA Addiction (Just be careful moving this one around...breaks kinda easy! Looks great in the air and truley makes you look better than you are!)

3) 3DH Extra (Both the standard and SR) Very smooth and relaxing for a larger 3-D plane
Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
fliprob17
got vinyl?

Excluding foamies, because most I have tried 3D themselves pretty much

3DH 47" Velox - hands down the best 3D plane I have flown to date. This aircraft is just solid all the way around. Hovers with ease, very little if wingrock in harriers, but will tumble and rotate like nothing you have seen before. Built up airfoiled tail surfaces makes this model react to every little control input, and allows the plane to get really wicked when you want it to Just a blast to fly.

A pic of my custom graphics.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	v1-flame-shark-fr.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	66866  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Sproket

3DH 47" Velox better than the 3DH 47" Extra 300 SHP also?
and
Katana MD or PA extra 260?

I did find this in the manual.

Last edited by Sproket; 05-23-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

Sproket;411710]3DH 47" Velox better than the 3DH 47" Extra 300 SHP also?

It's hard to detirmine which is better because each is different and they all have different strengths. Personally I like the Velox the best because it isa such an intense plane to fly, but the Extra SHP is sooooooo easy to fly. To make it even mkore confusijg, the new Extra SR is a development of the Extra SHP, and it's an incredibly smoioth 3D plane.

Here is a brief summary from my Extra SR review............

Let's compare to the Extra SR to the Extra SHP:
The SR rotates harder for walls, parachutes, and elevator maneuvers, and with it's SFG is a little stronger in harriers. It also grooves a little better at high speed because the airfoil tail surfaces are magic. The SR tumbles better and blenders a little more violently. It is basically the next step forward from the SHP. It is a more aggressive airplane when you want it to be, but you can also ease down a nd s he is very sweet and predictable. As with the SHP and Velox, the SR has no bad habits and provides no nasty surprises.

The SR is just smoother and more responsive than the SHP, and a touch more stable, which I know is hard to believes as the SHP redefined 3D stability. I'de say the SR is extremely similar to the SHP, but the intensity level is higher because of the increased pitch authority and extra power provided by the larger motors and 4s batteries.

The SR is a righteous step up in performance over the SHP. For those of you who love your SHP so much that other airplanes don't interest you, the SR is definately for you.

Let's compare to the Extra SR to the Velox

The only conceivable minus in the SR is that it doesn't rotate as violently as the Velox. The trade off is that the SR is a smoother flying plane, especially at higher speeds. However, the Sr will still do a decent parachute, she will still slide when you slam the elevator at medium speeds. The Sr is basically easier to fly because, well.....it's an Extra SHP with an airfoiled tail group. The SR is an SHP that has been brought closer to the Velox' level of performance.

Back to the SR
Maybe Ben will chime in and correct me if I have anything wrong, but I looked the plane over real good and I believe the only change over the SHP is the superb airfoiled tail, and the rudder servo tray for pull-pull has been moved further forward for those who want to fly with lighter a 3s 2818 setup. That, and, of course, the effective and attractive SFGs.

The level of fit and finish has also gone up a notch. The factory has made so many Extra SHPs that they can do them in their sleep, and with the SR being so similar that experience has carried over to making a better SR. Jimmy D usually takes a couple of days to assemble an airframe for me, just because we are slow and deliberate, but he cranked out my SR overnight, with maybe a couple of hours assembling the airframe. I know Scott and Ben can do it much faster, but we are sort of snail-like when it comes to putting planes together. Still, the SR went together really, really fast, and as is becoming the norm with 3DHS planes, we experienced nothing in the way of a problem that slowed us down.

Since ours was an advanced copy, the instruction booklet wasn't ready, but we had no trouble at all because it is so similar to the SHP. Almost everything on the plane can be figured out without instructions anyway, just by looking it over a few times and test fitting things. It's not a hard build at all and the radio installation was definately a breeze.

Pecking Order
The Extra SHP is the go-to airplane for today's 3D pilot. It serves as a great 3D trainer, and after that it's a great practise plane and daily beater. The SHP is such an easy plane to fly that I don't think I will ever outgrow it. With the throws dialed back and CG move forward a bit, it's the best sport plane I have ever flown.

The Extra Sr is the next step up in performance. It rotates harder and tumbles mote violently than the SHP, and with the airfoiled tail group it flies more smoothly. The SFGs also add more stability in low speed maneuvering, and yaw authority in hovering. The Sr is for the Extra SHP pilot who wants something a little wilder with a little more performance....but not enough to be scarey or more difficult to handle.

The Velox is simply the most intense and violently performing 47" 3D plane on the market. The Velox is full tilt all the time, and I like it that way. It keeps me sharp and focussed.

k

Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 AM
fpveric

Thumbs up Garry Wright E3D

By far my favorite electric 3d plane is my E3D. I just put it back together to about the 50th time. I wish you could still buy them.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

fpv,welcome to wattflyer! funny the last post on this thread was 5/2008,but since you opened it.....3dhs aj slick 42"ws. loved it to death. may one day replace it.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:10 AM
fpveric

Default thanks for the welcome..

Sorry, I'm not really a computer guy. Given my choice for favorite hasn't been made since 2006ish, my choice of old threads seems timely by comparison. I still stand by my choice tho..
Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Pilot Error

The PZ Visionaire is the new 3D champ 'till the servos crap out! Hovers almost hands off!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You gotta try the Skywing/Wattaplane EPP/balsa Edge 540 or Slick, or the new MXS is even prettier. They are the most fun 3D plane of the size I've come across. I've not flown a Visionaire but based on videos the Skywing has a much wider flight envelope especially when it comes to more violent 3D stuff like tumbling manoeuvres, yet it's just brilliant at the dead slow stuff too.

You could always put a AS3X or similar system in there if you wanted, plus you can pick your own servos so no need to take the junk that comes with an RTF / BNF.

Here's a video: http://vimeo.com/76244474
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Pilot Error

That looks pretty sweet! I don't need the AS3X, I turned mine off. It just happened to come with the plane. I haven't flown other 3D planes yet, but am looking for a new one as we speak...But I want a .60 size minimum electric That's why I'll probably build one..
Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

64" MXS from Extreme Flight. Best (smaller) 3D plane I've flown, hands down... and I've flown a lot.