3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

E-Flite Mini Funtana X ARF Build

Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Piperfan

Default E-Flite Mini Funtana X ARF Build

Will be posting my build and flying comments hear for this new Mini Funtana. If its anything like the last one plus the stated improvements, this one should be another winner from E-Flite. I like the fact that the wing span is increased from 38 to 43inches. This should improve the stability at hi alpha angles quite a bit. The original had a tendency to wobble some when doing harriers and elevators. Plus its easier to see even being just 5 inchs wider. The gear will be as follows.

E-Flite 480 outrunner
E-Flite 40 amp esc
JR mini 6c receiver
4 JR PS241MG sub micro servos w/metal gear
TP 2100mah battery

Last edited by Piperfan; 12-28-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 PM
FlyBri

The Mini Funtana X is very easy to build I think E-Flite did a nice job on this plane. I love mine
Old 12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
ifixairplanes
WFO balls to the wall

I just got back from the hobby hole and have ordered a funtana X. here's how mine will be set up:
EF 480 1020kv bl
EF 40a ESC
TP 2100 prolite
EF S75 servos

I will use a berg 4ch microstamp RX that I already have.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Piperfan

As with everyone of Horizon's E-Flite models, this one is packaged very well. Every thing has a place and nothing damaged.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Careful packing.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	20810   Click image for larger version

Name:	out of the box.jpg
Views:	1663
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	20811  

Last edited by Piperfan; 12-27-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Piperfan

I routinely put thread lock on all bolts that are associated with the motor/mount and landing gear. Don't want these comming loose. I had a custom Carbon Fiber landing gear made for this plane. Its about 1 inch tall than stock gear and round in profile. I like running a larger prop and the stock gear puts the front of the fuse to low. I reccomend putting a drop of CA on all holes taking small wood screws, (servo's, cowl) so the screws don't work the wood over time. I mounted with CA a small piece of wood to the inside of the battery compartment to attach the ESC to. This gives the velcro more to stick to. Servos mounted in the wings. Getting there. I had to use 12" servo extensions for the JR servos. They have a shorter lead than the S75 E-Flite servos. I wrap my extension connections with rubber electrical tape, not vinyl. The rubber does not leave glue residue. I have used shrink wrap tubing before, but in order to do any work on it you have to cut it to work on the wire. The rubber tape stretches real good and leaves no glue behind and its easy to remove. I got mine at Home Depot.

Name:	Mini FuntanaX Motor thread lock.jpg
Views:	1482
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	20838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor mounted to Fuse.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	20839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini FuntanaX CF gear.jpg
Views:	1369
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	20840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Funtanax ESC mounting.jpg
Views:	1560
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	20841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Funtana X 10.jpg
Views:	1965
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	20842  

Old 12-28-2006, 02:03 AM
ifixairplanes
WFO balls to the wall

Piperfan, I see in the photo of the plane that the left wing fillet is a little longer than that of the right (if not a photo illusion). Can you confirm this? I have seen this issue on some other forums, where there was as much as an 1" difference.

thanks,
Sean
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Piperfan

Hi Sean,

If your referencing the out of the box pix, the wings are not lined up perfectly square. The wing fillets on the plane are just about perfectly alined as far as I can see. Will take some more pix of that. As for the build, I spent about 3 hours tonight on the build and I am just about done. The tail is finished. This has got to be on of the easiest planes I have ever worked on. I recommend using thin CA on the wood of the Elevator and Rudder were the control horns mount thru the wood. Allow the CA to wick into the wood here. Don't over due it, you still have to pass the control horn thru the slot. This will harden up the balsa and provide a more durable area were considerable stress accures during prolonged use.

You can see the difference between the custom gear and the stock gear in photo 1. I have about an inch higher and wider. This will enhance ground handling considerably

Name:	Mini FuntanaX landing gear comparison.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	20853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini FuntanaX Finished tail.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	20854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini FuntanaX tail1.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	20855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder control horn area.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	20856  
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
ifixairplanes
WFO balls to the wall

Yes, I was talking about the out of box pics. Thanks for the answer.

Mine should be arriving at the hobbyshop tomorrow, I am excited. Glad to hear this is an easy build, last plane I built was a GP flatout, talk about a PITA!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Piperfan

I noticed that upon finishing the tail the elevator halves are slightly twisted. That will be rectifed with the heat gun. One problem I see as I did with the original mini funtana and small 3D planes in general is the flex you get in the elevator halves when putting maximum UP elevator angle deflection. The side with the control horn moves with the control rod normally. The oposite side does not move to the same angle of deflection due to flex in the rod that connects the two halves. If the control surface had two control horns with a Y control rod or 2 servos this would not be a problem. But then you have longer rods or added weight which present there own problems. I would recommend a larger size rod size be substituted for the U shaped connector in between the 2 elevator halves.

I am going to replace the included control rods (metal small diameter rod) with CF rods that have a much stiffer linear push/pull charateristics.

Also, be careful when mounting the cowl. Do not mount it to far back on the Fuse. Even mounting it an 1/8 to 1/4 inch back from were is should be creates a problem. If you do you will have a tendency to crack the battery cover upon removal. This is due to the strong magnetic catch's on the battery hatch. When removing the battery cover it tends to release suddenly. If you move the hatch to too much of an angle suddenly the result will be a cracked cover. This is due to the cowl being back to far. It creates a front overlap on the battery cover. Reducing the over lap by positioning the cowl properly will alleviate and or reduce the possibility of battery cover damage.

Name:	Mini FuntanaX Elevator halves.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	21211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Funtanax Tail closeup.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	21212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Funanax Tail low rates.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	21213  

Last edited by Piperfan; 01-03-2007 at 01:58 AM. Reason: adding photos
Old 01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
ifixairplanes
WFO balls to the wall

I've gotten mine all done. I would have flown it yesterday, but when I was setting up the control throws and testing things, the smoke came out of my ESC. Don't know why, but it did almost light my plane on fire. Once Horizon replaces this ESC, I am exchanging it for a great planes 45 amp one.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Piperfan

Had a maiden today. It flys so much better then the original. Side force generators (SFG's) provide excellent lift and it tracks perfectly (when settled on the sticks) during knife edge flight. It does tend to move the nose towards ever so slightly towards the landing gear when knife edging. I have to look around for the article that recommends the fix for that.

The Mini FuntanaX was a big hit at the field today. Everyone else commenting on the good looks and nice flying. Flying was straight forward with no surprises. It rolls crisply as it should. It did not need any down elevator during inverted flight. Four point rolls are a thing of beauty. The side force generators making a difference there. While I ussually do very nice 4 pointers with out them, the SFG's will allow the less skilled pilot experience them without much trouble. Elevators, Harriers, waterfalls, blenders and snap rolls are all quite capable manuvers with this plane. The larger size making it easier to manage and recover from since I can see it better. Flat spins work better inverted since the servo is pulling rather than pushing the control rod.

Name:	mini_funtana.1.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	21172   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_funtana.2.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	21174  
Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

I just built mine and am really impressed with the ARF. Only negative is the threaded axles (bolts) and the wheel pant method of securing. PITA!

Can't wait to fly her.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
I just built mine and am really impressed with the ARF. Only negative is the threaded axles (bolts) and the wheel pant method of securing. PITA!

Can't wait to fly her.

Bill,

Let me know when you're going to fly her. I want to watch!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Wanna witness the carnage huh? It may be a while as I think I'm gonna have to purchase another motor, ESC and a couple servos. Not real comfy with the CC-25 and the S-75 servos on the rudder/elevator. I have not paid my AMA or club dues yet. Time got away from me.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Wanna witness the carnage huh? It may be a while as I think I'm gonna have to purchase another motor, ESC and a couple servos. Not real comfy with the CC-25 and the S-75 servos on the rudder/elevator. I have not paid my AMA or club dues yet. Time got away from me.

I don't like those s-75's either, I had a couple of them strip out on me too. I am sure you will do well with it.

Better get them dues paid!
Old 01-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

I have been looking at that plane for a bit. There is a nib one on rcg shipped for $100 if anyone is interested. If i didn't already have the Reactor, I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. I just can't justify 2 very similar planes ..... all right I can justify it but I have others in the que before it.

Bill, I've been flying s75 servos in my MUS for over 30 flights now without a problem - although one of the 4 I bought was doa out of the box. Got it replaced by the lhs but a pita anyway.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Solid Hit - I have been flying the S-75 in the MUS as well but the control surfaces on this boy are barn door comparatively. I may try it initially until I get some more but I plan on yanking this one around pretty hard.

BTW, I got this ARF at the LHS (Stream Hobby) in town for $15 off $109 during his EOY sale. Also got some good deals on TP Lipos.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've not had any problems with the replacement s-75's (e-flite) but the ones that came with my spektrum were crap, from what I've been told they are identical servos except for the label. 3 of the 4 that came with it were useless. the first one i hooked up to center just went round and round and never stopped! Got it replaced and went to setup the others in my Ultimate bipe and another one did it. Rusty at stream was good enough to replace it as well. The other 2 seemed to be ok so I put them in my Ultimate bipe and promptly flew it into the ground in an inverted dive with no elevator control whatsoever. When I got to the plane to check it out the servo was dead as a doornail, no response whatsoever.

You got a good deal on that at Rusty's place Bill!I was out of town so did not get to stop in and check his sales.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Piperfan

Try the JR PS241MG sub micro servos w/metal gear

I have been using these for some time in my previous Funtana mini with no problems. Plenty of speed and strong.

I had to add some weight to the tail to get my CG further back. I am currently 3/4" back from recommended CG. Much better performance.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
FlyBri

I have been running the Futaba s3110 and the s3114 they are light, and I have stripped a few of them by bumping a rudder or aelaron on something.
I did try the JR sport sm22 Thay seem to be alot tougher. I havent stripped one yet But on the down side thay are heavier 9 grams. I got s3114 in my MFX right now. and already stripped one while putting it in my car I did upgrade to the JR sports in my seagull extra, and had to set my battery back toward the front to balance the plane. amaizing how much difference 4 grams in the tail can make on a small plane
No problems with it though, it is way overpowered with the pwer 10

Hey Piperfan, post a link to the jrps241mg servos I can't seem to find anything on JR's website and Horizon has the 241mg servos due early febuary.
thanks
Brian
Old 01-03-2007, 01:07 AM
FlyBri

OH yea I like the landing gear you got on the MFX Piperfan that looks very good. I got about 30 flights or so on my MFX,.... it is a fun plane to fly.

Last edited by FlyBri; 01-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:37 AM
Piperfan

I am thinking of uping my Mah. Wonder how this would fly with 2 2100mah batts? I am getting about 10 minutes of flight time with a TP2100. Would like to get a bit more. I could fly two packs in parallel. I looked at the weight of a Hyperion 3300mah 11.1v pack and it weighs the same as two TP2100's. May have to add more weight to the tail thought.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

A guy I fly with is currently biulding one of these. I think he was going to put HS-55's in his, would this be a bad move?

CTD
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've got all 55's in my RMF (regular mini Fintana) and they have worked quite well.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

HS55's are my "go to" servos. I fly them in nearly everything I've got from my Reactor Mini to the SE 5a, even my old faithful SS. I've had the HS56's and had a lot of trouble with the gears stripping so I went back to the 55's and love them.

Quick Reply: E-Flite Mini Funtana X ARF Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13856 seconds with 27 queries