Informal Clubs Club Talk

The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

As always, it looks like you guys had a great day of flying and camraderie. Excellent pictures Mike.
I think this one is my Favorite!

btw How did the maiden on the L-39 go?

Last edited by max2112; 12-21-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, the wind picked up after about 45 minutes and was a bit much for the rest of the day. It started to die down around 4:00pm, but then I had to start heading back to Hood. I was only able to fly the P-47...the Phantom didn't fly because I needed to mess around with the nose wheel. It barely wants to turn right. It will go in circles to the left all day, but not right.

Then, like an idiot, I forgot to mount the control rod covers that protect them when belly landing on the L-39! So that never flew. I still had a great time though! Dick and Josh are great company and good friends. I wouldn't trade that for all the flying in the world. Wish you were here John.

Mike

Last edited by Angler-Hi; 12-21-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
... Dick and Josh are great company and good friends. I wouldn't trade that for all the flying in the world. Wish you were here John.

Mike
I do too, Mike. I really do. I couldn't agree with you more.
But hey, it's just a matter of time until we all fly together again! We'll make it happen somehow.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
I do too, Mike. I really do. I couldn't agree with you more.
But hey, it's just a matter of time until we all fly together again! We'll make it happen somehow.
I have no doubt friend. Well, it was just too easy to square away the issue with the nose wheel on the F-4. I didn't have to bend any wire gear or rest the servo arm. All I did was take the bottom hex screw on the collet on the nose wheel and turn the gear wire about 1/8" to the right, and tighten down the hex screw...DONE!!

I pulled out the control rod protective scoops for the L-39 and CA'd them in place...DONE!

Now I just need to see if I can get the control rods to reach on the F-35. Josh was kind enough to throw a few my way, lol. I'm hoping they reach. Once that's done, I just need to swap out the stock Rx with one of my own and she'll be done.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Josh, I think that prop adapter you gave me might be a 5mm, lol. It's too big for the 4mm prop shaft on my Monster 25, lol. No worries though friend...I really appreciate everything man!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Hey Josh, I think that prop adapter you gave me might be a 5mm, lol. It's too big for the 4mm prop shaft on my Monster 25, lol. No worries though friend...I really appreciate everything man!
Dammit man, my bad, I swear my Caliper must be off somehow. I bet I coudl scare up a 4mm if I looked through my crap so let me know and I can throw one in the mail.

Josh
Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Dammit man, my bad, I swear my Caliper must be off somehow. I bet I coudl scare up a 4mm if I looked through my crap so let me know and I can throw one in the mail.

Josh
Thanks Josh...yeah, if you could find a 4mm, that would be great. I was gonna order on last night. I found some for $2-$3, but the shipping was the same, lol. Not really wanting to pay $6 for a prop adapter, lol. I'll pay you for it man...just let me know and I'll put a few bucks in the mail for you. Thanks again man!

Mike
Old 12-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Just read it...I always fly with the antenna straight out and bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem! BTW, here's some pics from yesterday.
Thanks for the photos Mike,
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No problem Dick. When do you guys plan on getting together again?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Just read it...I always fly with the antenna straight out and bent up at a 45 degree angle. Never had a problem! BTW, here's some pics from yesterday.
Thanks for the photos Mike, nice job. I find it an interesting facination to review some of the flights following a sucessful day at the field and sharing the experience.
Rose must have been bored to delerium though but, thank her for making the trip anyway.
Glad to see you got the F-4 nose wheel fixed up.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

It's ok...if it had been a bit less windy and not so cold (for her), she would have been more active.

Been getting alot of vibration from the fan in my L-39. I might have to re-balance the fan! That's gonna be a pain!! She screams at 1/4 throttle though on 4s. She's definitely not underpowered, lol. I'm gonna try and fly the F-4 tomorrow if the wind permits. I'll try and get video of my flying.

Let me know when you guys are meeting up again and I'll drive down.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

It's ok...if it had been a bit less windy and not so cold (for her), she would have been more active.

Been getting alot of vibration from the fan in my L-39. I might have to re-balance the fan! That's gonna be a pain!! She screams at 1/4 throttle though on 4s. She's definitely not underpowered, lol. I'm gonna try and fly the F-4 tomorrow if the wind permits. I'll try and get video of my flying.

Let me know when you guys are meeting up again and I'll drive down.
Josh will be off for a few days strting tomorrow. If the wx is descent I'd like to get together whenever possible. Right now I'm battling a severe sore throat and ear ache but hopefully I'll be feeling better in a couple days.

I'll call Joshua tomorrow and see what's shakin'.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hope it runs it's course soon Dick...get better man. The weather here sucks for the next three days at LEAST. Supposed to rain tomorrow and highw winds. The lowest wind conditions in my AO are 11mph. Maybe we can meet up after Christmas or something...speaking of Christmas, is there anything you want or might need?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Hope it runs it's course soon Dick...get better man. The weather here sucks for the next three days at LEAST. Supposed to rain tomorrow and highw winds. The lowest wind conditions in my AO are 11mph. Maybe we can meet up after Christmas or something...speaking of Christmas, is there anything you want or might need?
Yeh, the wx looks less than desirable right now but I hav'nt checked on it here recently.
I'll call you maybe today or tomorrow.
Later...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Yeh, the wx looks less than desirable right now but I hav'nt checked on it here recently.
I'll call you maybe today or tomorrow.
Later...
Sounds good Dick. My retracts for the P-51 just came today in the mail. They are the correct size and it shouldn't be too long before I get to finishing her up. All I need now is an ESC and the motor mount!! Might take a trip to the LHS today and see if I can find a 4mm prop adapter for the Spit.

The L-39 is going to need some balancing of the fan...going to be very tedious and a pain, but it needs to be done. I have too much $$ invested to just walk away from her. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress with the Mustang and Spit. Happy building Dick.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well guys, I'm off to the LHS! They just got those aluminum adjustable motor mounts in...the same kind Dick has on one of his big birds. I'm taking my motor up there to make sure I get the right size. Also just ordered some more Deans plugs for six new batteries. Think I'm gonna start the build...AGAIN...on the P-51 today!! I'll keep you posted and take some pics as I progress.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Saturday and sunday look like decent days to fly!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday
Old 12-23-2009, 07:21 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Mike,
I brought this over here so we wouldn't hijack NitroBlast's thread.
Looks sweet John! Did you use heat to apply the covering to her or some other adhesive? I've always been wanting to have a go at the whole covering thing on one of my jets, like you did with the Phase 3 F-16.
Mike

Yes, I applied the econokote with the normal hobby iron. It sticks pretty well as-is. I might seal it w/ some WBPU or maybe even clear fingernail polish.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well however you did it, it looks like a sweet idea! Really liking the look John. My wife just found the "other" box that had all the original parts for my P-51!!!!!!!!! The retracts along with all the control rods and evrything else in it! I asked her, "I thought you said you didn't touch any of my plane stuff while I was gone"? She said, "well I didn't know what was in it...it was just in my way". It's about the size of a phone book...how could it be in your way!!?? Anyways, I have it now, after spending over $60.00 in crap to get her built, that was in the bedroom all along!

Whatever...can't wait to start the build!!!! WAHOO!!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Just talked to Dick...I'm gonna take some pics of the Spit and some issues I'm running into with it. The camera's in the truck, and the wife has the truck, lol. When she gets back from the grocery store, I'll get some pics for ya Dick.

Working on mounting the motor mount to the P-51 at the moment as well. So far she's coming along nicely. I'll get some pics of that too. As soon as the motor mount and motor are installed, I'll start on the servos. Gonna use 4x DS821 digital standard size servos for all control surfaces (elevator, ailerons, rudder) and two standard size servos for the retracts. Only thing left to get for this bird is an 80A HV ESC and a couple of 3s 3500mah li-pos and 4s 4000mah li-pos, spinner and props. I can pick up the spinner at the LHS, but the batts and ESC will have to be ordered...oh yeah, let's not forget an additional Rx for the DX7, lol. She won't be ready by the next time we get together.

The Spit needs nothig but a Rx...still need to do some fabricating to get the servos to fit and mount securely. Pics to follow...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Spit and servos...

Here's some pics of the servos NOT fitting...gonna have to use some light ply to fabricate the servo trays to allow them to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230025.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	116362   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230026.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	116363   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230027.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	116364   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230028.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	116365  
Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default P-51...motor mounted.

Here's a few shots of the P-51 and the motor mounted. Tomorrow I will start installing servos, then start working on the retracts. Just don't know what size spinner I'm gonna need for this bird. My motor has a 6mm shaft...now need to find a spinner that fits and fits to scale of my cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230029.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	116383   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230031.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	116384   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC230032.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	116385  
Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Well however you did it, it looks like a sweet idea! Really liking the look John. My wife just found the "other" box that had all the original parts for my P-51!!!!!!!!! The retracts along with all the control rods and evrything else in it! I asked her, "I thought you said you didn't touch any of my plane stuff while I was gone"? She said, "well I didn't know what was in it...it was just in my way". It's about the size of a phone book...how could it be in your way!!?? Anyways, I have it now, after spending over $60.00 in crap to get her built, that was in the bedroom all along!

Whatever...can't wait to start the build!!!! WAHOO!!

Dude that is awesome. Can't wait to see the progress as it goes together.

And john - that's pretty sweet - reminds me of Lowenbrau - is that the Grippen?

Josh
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Here's a few shots of the P-51 and the motor mounted. Tomorrow I will start installing servos, then start working on the retracts. Just don't know what size spinner I'm gonna need for this bird. My motor has a 6mm shaft...now need to find a spinner that fits and fits to scale of my cowl.
Hey that's the RimFire mount for LARGE motors isn't it? Lookin' good man.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Mike, that is just TOO sexy!

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
And john - that's pretty sweet - reminds me of Lowenbrau - is that the Grippen?
Josh
Yes, it's the HobbyLobby Grippen. I got it on sale for $99 shipped. I know it's sacrilige(sp?) but those are Peugot lions on a Saab airplane. I am thinking of putting a big Saab logo centered on top of the main fuse.

Quick Reply: The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12180 seconds with 20 queries