Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

$80 Lipo charger

Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Default $80 Lipo charger

I'm over whelmed by the amount of chargers available. I have 2 and 3 cell lipos and ranging from 500 to 1800 mAh. Is there a good charger that will work with ac and dc power to charge these batteries? I've been using my park zone chargers but I've noticed that they are not very precise in charging and they take forever. Sometimes they charge to 12.45 sometimes to 12.62 and anywhere in between. I want to get something better. If there is nothing in that price range how much would I have to spend? it would also be nice to charge 2 packs at the same time and that has a discharge feature.

Thanks

Travis
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Best charger, hands down, American made and serviced for Park Fliers is the FMA Cellpro 4S
I have only seen one guy, ever, that has trouble with it, and what pissed him off was that he had to eat the shipping, not the service.
Currently you can get it for $50. You will need a power supply-almost everything that is not cheap junk or really expensive needs one, and proper taps (2 to chose from).

If you MUST have discharge or multi-chemistry the next more expensive model will have that. The DC function in the majority of the 'affordable' chargers is pretty lame, including the Cellpro. That's what your plane is for or make a simple one out of tail light bulbs.

Now-here come the recommendations for Hobby City. Do your research. Effectively, no warranty or support on those worth the match to burn it up.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Thank you I will check it out. Also will I need an adapter to plug my batteries into that? I have mostly common sense and eflight batteries. All of my batteries have the same type of eflight style plug.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Yes, that's the balance tap. There are 2 types of taps (farther down the page). Click on the link for a pdf file of what they look like on specific batteries. Likely you have
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...271&section=45
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Ya that looks right. Thanks for your help.

Travis