General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 AM
admin
Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Welcome to WattFlyer.com where we do only one thing, electric flight. Other sites run the gamut but we decided to build this site to do one thing and do it well.

The mission of this website is:
  • Commercial free - No Banner Ads - EVER!
  • Friendly Moderation
  • No unfair "warning point systems"!
  • Electric Flight Discussions ONLY
  • E-Flight Buying & Selling ONLY (FREE to post Ads!)
  • Super Fast Board - No waiting - Dedicated Hardware
  • Clean, easy to use forum and interface without unecessary clutter
  • We plan NOT to expand this into a banner advertising website
  • No scrolling through 150 forum topics unrelated to eflight
  • Backed and operated by the owners of RC Universe so you can be sure this site isn't going to disappear
The idea here is simple. I woke up one day and decided to think outside the box and do something quite different. A site to give back to modelers and give them their own platform to discuss their passion without interference and clutter of other topics they don't care about. A site that would be designed by the members on an ongoing basis by democratic process.

There are no catches here, no hidden fees or hidden plans for the future.

This platform will remain available to modelers and we will not morph this into a commercial platform. It will remain 100% free of commercial bias in all forms.

For me it is a personal challenge to develop something, keep my coding and server admin skills in tune in a real world environment and simultaneously provide something that is needed right now to regular modelers.

Enjoy and please, please, please spread the word to your modeling buddies. It is each of you that makes WattFlyer the community that it is today and in the future!

Marc Vigod

Last edited by admin; 12-26-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Thumbs up

I'm In. Looks good, should be a winner.
Available for Battery/Charger forum moderator if needed.

Last edited by Red Scholefield; 07-19-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
bubbagates

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield
Red would be excellent in that forum

Actually I just wanted to post also very cool setup Marc
Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs up Chat Room needed too

It would be great to get a new chat room up and running again. We just need to get more to our new CHAT POLL thread. All Welcome and thanx for listening. Scott

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield View Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Dan Cahill

I'm looking for an opinion, voice of experience, etc. I'm contemplating going
with an Astro Brushless 25, direct drive turning a 3-blade 9X7" to pull my
replica kit VK "Compact," a 62" span shoulder wing sport design from 1961.
Mr. Boucher suggested 3 Li-Pos, presumably 20C capable and upwards of
2500 mAH. Do you think 4 A123 cells would be too much, if I wanted to go
with those? By too much I mean volts for that size prop. I have a super watt
meter, and presumably could make a full throttle value programmed into
my transmitter if I knew what the limit ought to be. This is going to be a light
model. I'd be surprised if it came out more than 3.5 lbs., not a lot for 650
square inches of wing. Thanks in advance. Love your column, btw.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 AM
mickynz

sounds good here,
who knows the cheapest prices for a wing dragon slow flyer? please
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Warbirdie
Death from above

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so I'll tell you a little bit about me.

I've been involved with RC for a long time. When I was 8 my father and I built a balsa and tissue rubber band glider that crashed catastrophically on it's maiden flight. Since then, I have been obsessed with airplanes. I got my first RC plane when I was 13, so that puts me at about 27 years of experience. I have been through cars, heli's, and many planes. All gas except for some electric cars and trucks. When I got married and became a father my hobbies took a vacation for a bit. a couple of years ago, my wife (knowing that I used to love RC airplanes) got me a RTF Parkzone Firebird. While it wasn't the greatest plane in the world for a veteran pilot, it was my first electric RC aircraft. I would fly it every day I could. It brought back memories of my youth, and while that plane was in the air, I could forget all of the troubles we all have every day. My son finally killed the Firebird (wasn't even crashed, just smashed), I looked at a few other airplanes, but just didn't realize the true performance capable of electrics, so I didn't buy another. MY BAD. This past November (my birthday) my incredible wife bought me another RTF RC plane. This time a Parkzone Slo-V. Again, I was thrilled to be airborn. This time, I tried to get the family involved. And I'm glad I did, because after a few crashes training my children and wife to fly, I had to source parts. The LHS that my wife purchased the Slo-V from didn't have the parts I required (fuse and higher performance prop). They recommended Ultimate Hobbies in Santa Ana. (about a 15 minute drive from where I live) When I went there to get parts, I had to pass all the WARBIRDS.... When I saw the Parkzone F4U Corsair, I knew I had to have one. Actually I spied the P-51 Mustang first, but I have always been a Corsair nut. (The Corsair was the first polystyrene plastic model plane I ever built when I believe I was around 6 or 7). I scoured the internet looking at video and these forums for information about which way I should go. I ended up receiving the RTF Corsair from my AWESOME wife for Christmas (with direct help from me providing a part number and directions to Ultimate Hobbies.) I would have provided part numbers for the Bind and Fly version and a DX6, but we put a cap on our Christmas gift limits. (We do have 4 children after all)

I'll have to say that when I put that plane together, I was genuinely nervous about flying it. It was so beautiful, that I couldn't bear the thought of it nosing into the ground. Just like the old days of building a balsa model from scratch and being terrified about crashing it...Only now, I know that replacement parts are easy to obtain, and they are CHEAP! The maiden flight went without a hitch (well one hitch... On my last landing, one of the landing gear caught a large clump of grass and tore off the strut... A little epoxy and she was good as new.) I've got about 10 flights in on the Corsair now, (and have since had to epozy the other landing gear strut as well) and can't wait to fly it again whenever I can. Even in stock form, and with the lower performance 3 blade prop, I always get an adrenalin rush every time it gets airborne. I would switch to the 2 blade prop, but I just love the way the plane looks with the 3 blade. I always run it with the landing gear, because to me, taking off and landing is a big thrill for me...

I've read somewhere on this forum that the RTF version of the Corsair has been accused of luring a begining pilot into more plane than they can handle. And that maybe all the veteran pilots would rather buy a DX6, or DX7 instead and get the Bind N Fly version instead. Well in defense of the RTF, it was exactly what I needed to get back into the sport completely. Yes, I will have a DX7 transmitter soon, but I suspect that the DX5 will be around for some time. The Spectrum radios are such a huge advancement over the old days of losing a model to some idiot turning on their radio without checking frequencies first are over. I'm now planning on picking up a PZ BL Cub for the family training mule, (or maybe I'll hot-rod the Slo-V with the help of this board) and with any luck, I will have the whole family flying PZ warbirds together one day. I know that a Trojan and a Mustang are going to occupy my hanger soon. I've been looking at other manufacturers, but I am so happy with the PZ planes, that it will take quite a bit before I will switch to anything else... (I have been checking out the Yardbird jets recently however. They look interesting..)

Thank You Parkzone for making such an excellent product. The Corsair is everything I could have hoped for in an exciting precision aircraft... Though retracts, and flaps would be extra cool....(I'll be adding E-flight retracts soon enough. (HINT PARKZONE::: IF OR WHEN YOU EVER RE-VAMP THE SPITFIRE WITH Z-FOAM, FOLLOW THE FORMULA OF THE CORSAIR.. RUDDER. AILERONS. ELEVATOR. THEN INCLUDE RETRACTS, AND MAKE IT WITH FLAPS OPTIONAL LIKE YOU DID WITH THE P-51 AND IT'S RUDDER.)

P.S. Has anyone taken the landing gear and tail wheel from the PZ corsair and installed in on a BL PZ Mustang? Will it work? Is there room to do it without making it look funky?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to making many posts here on Wattflyer.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
donaldtay

Good story Warbird,
Let us know if you get your wife hooked into RC Planes. Are any of your children girls? If so I hope you make a special effor to get them involved.
Many women enjoy the beauty and artistry of our planes but few have a hunger for the sport of flying RC. My wife notices a good finish on the planes I produce but she is not interested in flying. I suspect that it is mostly the result of a history of planes being considered "boy's stuff". I have a son and a daughter, both grown; but i failed to initiate an RC airplane hobby with my daughter as i did with my son.-- big mistake. She should have had the opportunity and if she wasn't interested then thats ok.
There are a few dedicated women flyers on this site and I am sure the participation of women will continue to grow; but the hobby could use wider participation and RC DADS can give it a big boost by teaching their daughters to fly. Hope you can change the balance.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I just wanted to post and say hello. Changed my SN from Nitroaddict to "Reformed Nitroaddict" since this is an electric forum, and I am now up to four E-flight planes.

Great job Marc, look forward to visiting this site!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:38 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict
I just wanted to post and say hello. Changed my SN from Nitroaddict to "Reformed Nitroaddict" since this is an electric forum, and I am now up to four E-flight planes.

Great job Marc, look forward to visiting this site!
Hey RN, I just moved from RR in April, who is this? Bill Nale
Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Very nice! Signed in and ready

-Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

RCU got to busy for me. This has an interesting ring to it.
George
Gainesville Fl
Old 07-20-2005, 04:44 AM
mars

Hooked on electrics!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
jperch

I am signed up as well. I hope this site becomes very sucessful.

Joe
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Signed up, looking forward to see how this shakes out!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
admin
Administrator

spread the word please. Word of mouth is the most important piece of the puzzle in the success or failure of any community site. This sites mission is vastly different from the start of the others (including ezone, rcu, etc) and positioned 100% to serve only the modelers needs. It is my hope that this out of the box formula creates something tremendous to truly spur the growth in the hobby and fill a void which exists.

So tell 5 friends about it and tell them all to tell 5 more and everyone together will build something very very special in this community.

marc
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 AM
4 stroken ron

Just wanted to check to see if we can attach files.
Ron

Edit: Upload looks good. I'm happy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SlowRide double.JPG
Views:	2004
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	23  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs up Chat poll needs more people

Last edited by ElectricFlyGuy; 03-18-2007 at 03:16 AM. Reason: doubled
Old 07-21-2005, 05:30 AM
4 stroken ron

Here is a better SLOWRIDE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2SlowRide at MZH gym.jpg
Views:	1804
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	24  
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Great news ! Finally a Web Site for just us electrics
Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Welcome Carlos - Feel free to bring over additional members of the RCGroups heard.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Boomerang

Good luck with your new site, count me in! - John.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Good luck with your new site, count me in! - John.

thanks boomerang
Old 07-23-2005, 01:10 AM
Greg Covey

This is my kind of place!

I only do electric flight. Check out my Web Hangar below.

http://www.gregcovey.com/rc.htm
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
lowkeylaidback

Hello Greg C.
I am from Rochester as well but now live in Jacksonville, Fl. I got tired of the snow and made the jump to snowless country
Barrington and Harvard north east corner

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 3.25244 seconds with 13 queries