Will my homemade foamie fly?? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Will my homemade foamie fly??

Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 AM
aaindthu

Originally Posted by Abuelo View Post
Aaindthu, have you made any decisions and subsequent progress? What have you decided on for your trainer plane, and on learning to fly?

Please keep us posted. The community here cares.

Abuelo
Abuelo, Hi

Thank you for asking

So, I crashed it. The first time due to tail heavyness, and lost a propeller. I shifted the wings backwards to move the cg forward.

Second time, take off was fine due to nose heaviness. But the plane has a tendency to bank left profusely. I tried to bank right using ailerons but were ineffective and it crashed the second time too. I think the ailerons deflection angle was not enough and the dihedral angle of the wing is uneven.

So now I am building a new wing and fixing the same fueslage. And main landing gears in the front, and a tail wheel.
This time no dihedral and ailerons along the whole wing, like in 3D airplanes. I know it's going to be touchy.. but effective too.

But here's the silver lining... I am happy with the performance of the motor and the weight of the airplane. I never had to go full throttle during take off, probably due to the thick airfoil. So the motor is good.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 AM
aaindthu

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi, Your plane is very short coupled, the Tail controls are very close to the main wing, it will fly, but you will need to be a proficient R/C pilot to fly it, that is not a beginners plane by no means, set the cg to 25% and use a 7x6 prop.

get a trainer plane to learn with, your plane is not a forgiving Design, you will not have time to think when flying, you have to know what to do instinctively.

a better trainer would be a power glider to learn eye/hand control

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/floater-jet-epo-arf.html
Chellie, thank you for your suggestion

I moved the wings backwards already and now the plane is a bit noseheavy which is good.

Now the plane is very light. I will post how it goes. thank you
Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aaindthu View Post
Chellie, thank you for your suggestion

I moved the wings backwards already and now the plane is a bit noseheavy which is good.

Now the plane is very light. I will post how it goes. thank you
I think you may have misunderstood.

A good flyer has reasonable distance between the main wing and tail 'feathers'. If you look at any trainer ... you will see a nice long fuselage after the wing before tail. This reduces the pitching moment to give good calm control ... but when its short - it can be violent pitch moment and even for experienced rc flyers can prove death to a model.

I designed and built a cartoon FW190 ... and that short fuselage killed it.

It survived a couple of flights but it really was a real dog to control !! I've been at this hobby for over 55 years and I shelved her ...

Nigel
Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 PM
aaindthu

I have decided to discard my original design.

I am going to build a simple high wing trainer.

It is going to take a couple of weeks.

I only get time in week ends Will post pics soon

Thank you all
Old 08-19-2018, 03:57 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

aaindthu
That is a good idea!
But do make sure the fuselage is long enough so that the tail is not too close to the wing.
A guide is to make the rear fuselage long enough so that the tail plane is about 1/2 the wing span from the CofG.
And make the nose of the fuselage long enough so you don't need much or any ballast to achieve that all important CofG position 25% from the wing leading edge.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think that is a wise decision. The heartache of building ... setting up and then it crashing has destroyed so many newcomers spirit ...

Even after all these years despite technological advances in radio and gear ... the Humble High Wing trainer STILL is the starting point. There is very good reason for that.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 AM
aaindthu

Here is the basic structure of my RC trainer.

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  237.2 KB

And, should I start a new thread or shall I continue posting in the same thread?? I am new to forums, any forums.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Just keep this thread going. It is about your adventures in learning RC Aviation. We will follow you here.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Yep ... stick with it here ... and in any way we can - we will not mock, insult or jeer at any item. Please do not be afraid to ask even the most simple question - we ALL want you to succeed ...

We have ALL been there with the crashes - some like me after over 55 years STILL crash ! .. so you are not alone.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Your 'trainer' looks pretty good.
I assume you will hold the wing on with elastic bands (to improve its 'gentle' crash resistance) and ideally make the flat top of the fuselage long enough so that you can move the wing a bit forward or backwards to adjust the CofG position without adding ballast.
And do keep its weight as low as possible even if as a result it suffers a bit more in a crash.
In general lighter planes fly better and are more controllable in the calm conditions you should make all the early flights.

Remember as you have designed and built your plane if it does get damaged you should be able to repair it fairly easily or even build another!

Also if possible take many of pictures during each stage of the construction, not only to include them in your posts! but they can also be a great reminder to you of how you actually did it!

Just keep going!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

The proportions on that plane look great. It will be a goer
Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 AM
aaindthu

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  269.7 KB

Mounted the motor and ESC and cut out a room for the battery.

The wires will be covered with paper-mache (newspaper and white glue)

I will leave the esc exposed so that cool air passes over it preventing it from overheating.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Abuelo

Attachment 186899

Mounted the motor and ESC and cut out a room for the battery.

The wires will be covered with paper-mache (newspaper and white glue)

I will leave the esc exposed so that cool air passes over it preventing it from overheating.
Is that masking tape over the bullet connectors? Definite no-no, use electrical tape or shrink tubing.

I'd skip the paper-mache as it just adds weight without strength. Appearance is a non issue on a basic trainer. If you're worried about the wires coming loose, cover with a piece of tape.

The exposed ESC is an excellent idea. Receiver and servos can be mounted the same general way, with the push rods outside the body.

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Keep at it Bud, You will get there!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:53 PM
trying2fly

I have recently finished building my RC plane out of foam. I am a complete beginner at flying rc planes but I have built several planes and crashed them all.. I do not want to crash this plane.. here are the specs...

wingspan ---------- 110m
AUW---------------- 780 grams
Motor--------------- 1000 kv
battery------------- 11.1v 2200mah 30c

Will this combination fly??
I am going to fly it first time... and i have never landed any plane in one piece.
So, Any advise ??
Here are the pics of my plane...
Attachment 186860

Attachment 186861

Attachment 186862

Attachment 186863
Cut the nose off..move forward 2.5 inches. Cut the fuse midway and add 1.5 inches. Just use more foam to do this. Add 2.0 inches to the wing tips and curl them up like is seen on a Bixler or HawkSky. Make the tips with BBQ wooden skewers(2) and insert them into the wing tips. This will give you more dihedral and make your plane handle very very well. It makes it very forgiving. Get rid of that added extra wt. you put in to get the CG right. Measure a point 30% back from the leading edge for your CG then this plane you have will fly like a dream. Ps put battery as far forward as needed for CG.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:10 AM
aaindthu

Glued the stabilizers in place. The tail-plane is a little wobbly even after glueing 2mm carbon fibre rod along both sides of the fuselage tail section.

I am going to put paper mache. That will make it stiff.

Views: 252
Size:  257.8 KB

Last edited by aaindthu; 08-23-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 AM
aaindthu

Is that masking tape over the bullet connectors? Definite no-no, use electrical tape or shrink tubing.

I'd skip the paper-mache as it just adds weight without strength. Appearance is a non issue on a basic trainer. If you're worried about the wires coming loose, cover with a piece of tape.

The exposed ESC is an excellent idea. Receiver and servos can be mounted the same general way, with the push rods outside the body.

Keep up the good work.
I am using a very low density foam that easily comes off into beads.
So I have to cover it with paper-mache.
The beauty of an airplane is what motivates me to build it. So appearance matters to me. and I am building this plane to last long.

I will use an electric tape for the bullet connectors as you said.
Thank you for your valuable advice.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

aaindthu
As you have found thin carbon rods applied like that will add very little stiffness.

Paper mashe tends to be heavy and any weight at the back end is not good.
Gluing on a single layer of thin brown paper is a recognised way of reinforcing low density foam or self adhesive packing tape if you can get it.
The whole object is to apply a thin, light but strong 'skin' on the foam.

It is amazing how much extra you have to discover when designing and building you own plane.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

You could have left the fuselage a bit deeper under the tailplane. This would not have added any undue weight with that type of foam and may have made it stiffer so that you wouldn't have had to add paper mache'. At the same time, being the type of plane it is I don't think the paper mache' will add that much weight.
Plod along. You are doing well.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I totally applaud your efforts in designing / building your own plane.

I do have a reservation though. It is now obvious you are using Packing Case Styrene foam. This is very weak, takes too much to strengthen / stiffen especially with such a thin / narrow tail section as you have there.

If long life is expected, with such foam - I cannot be so optimistic.

Nigel
Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM
trying2fly

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I totally applaud your efforts in designing / building your own plane.

I do have a reservation though. It is now obvious you are using Packing Case Styrene foam. This is very weak, takes too much to strengthen / stiffen especially with such a thin / narrow tail section as you have there.

If long life is expected, with such foam - I cannot be so optimistic.

Nigel
Spray or paint it with polyurethane (miniwax brand). Put a coupla coats on and it will really toughen up the outter skin of foam. chas
Old 08-24-2018, 12:32 AM
aaindthu

After I reached home, to my pleasant surprise, the tail section of the fuselage was a lot stiffer than when i last checked it in the morning.

I found out that the glue was not fully dry in the morning and later that evening glue got dried up and it was stiffer.

But, anyways I have glued an extra piece of foam under the tail section of the fuselage. Here is a closer look.

Views: 232
Size:  204.7 KB
Old 08-28-2018, 03:48 AM
Abuelo

After I reached home, to my pleasant surprise, the tail section of the fuselage was a lot stiffer than when i last checked it in the morning.

I found out that the glue was not fully dry in the morning and later that evening glue got dried up and it was stiffer.

But, anyways I have glued an extra piece of foam under the tail section of the fuselage.
Any progress to report?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
aaindthu

Any progress to report?
Well, I covered the foam wings with paper mache. Increased its weight, but its also strong now. weight of the wing alone is now 220 grams.

And made the main landing gear, glued the rudder and elevator servos in place.

That's it. I will post pics soon.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:50 PM
trying2fly

Default Polyurethane

Did you spray with polyurethane for stiffness?

Quick Reply: Will my homemade foamie fly??

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15253 seconds with 11 queries