1/6 scale airco DH-2 scratchbuild - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

1/6 scale airco DH-2 scratchbuild

Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
floss

Life sucks sometimes. Thinking positive its better off at the moment than it would have been if it spiralled into the ground from 60 ft up.

Remember you've still got the wonderful talent that made it in the first place DC

Steve
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
barmonkey

Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
my beautiful DH-2 was in the back of my rav with the seats folded up and some jack off cut me off and had to lock up the brakes. any way both of the seats came out of the locking mech. and down on 1200 hrs. work, i almost cried. it may not look to damaged but it's not repairable if you look it's warped in every concievable way, from the frame to the wings, landing gear and so on. maybe i'll build something else to replace it as of now i'm going to strip down for parts, thank you all so much for your support and encouragement on this build.
So sad to hear of this...Especially since this isn't the first that an untimely accident has happened to one of your wonderful creations! I am sure that all of us here can empathise with your pain...although I doubt few have so much time involved in a single build.

Just to relate to your pain...I had a Corsair meet a similar situation. This was actually my third plane I had built...merely a GWS foamie I just glued together...I did spend a bit of time and $ researching Corsairs and trying to get just the right colors for her (not nearly the level of mastery of detail and craftsmanship that you you have achieved mind you).

At any rate, Several years ago I was en-route from work to home hoping for an early morning maiden. Some "jack" cut me off causing me to slam on my brakes! Well... All of the contents in the back of my Cherokee slid forward... all I could hear is the sickening crunch and cracking behind me. Yup, this was the crushing of my poor Corsair (and a Spitfire)! After rebuilding, the Corsair ended up being the best flying plane I have had!

As has been mentioned before...let her sit for a bit...then take another look...maybe things aren't as bad as they seem. I know that you are sickened and quite peeved at the situation, but perhaps a bit of time away will freshen your thoughts on this plane.
After all, the real planes didn't live charmed lives themselves now did they? Unfortunately a lot of pilots and soldiers didn't have a very high survivability rate either.

Maybe this is your chance to work on your flying If I remember correctly, you don't have much experience flying...nor do you have a trusted friend to fly for you (DR.I ?) So here is your chance! Take all the details off....lighten this baby up and give her a go.... before you toss it in the bin! If not, I am certain someone here would be happy to give her a good home!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

It makes me sick that DC's plane got broken!! That is actually still a very nice plane though and you guys are right. It can probably be fixed. Steve
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 AM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

I hope that that you repair the plane, DCFlyer. You can rebuild certain parts, and use other undamaged parts again. I wish you luck.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 AM
enemyace19
Beware the hun in the sun

wow it was a work of art to be sure sorry it was broken...
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
7car7

Dang, somehow I missed the damage report. Totally fixable. Just re-rig it to straighter her up. A bit of time and you'll never know the difference.

If you want to scrap it because it's not perfect, well, dare I say, NOTHING of this world is perfect, certainly not our airplanes either.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
wattman

You could box it up and send it too degreen60 , hes good at rebuilding crashes into something to fly again , really .