Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Li Poly batteries - how scared should I be?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:26 PM
superchuckles

Originally Posted by Time View Post
Awwww, I wish you had not posted that. Now superchuckles has something else to pontificate about.

clearly there's no communicating with one the likes of yourself who has the sum of all knowledge already. indeed sir, you are right.... you are always right i'm sure. i don't know what i'm talking about at all.... just stirring up trouble.... that's right, they don't make fireproof charging vaults for lipo batteries (of course, they actually don't make them for lead-acid, but do for lipos). lipos can be safe - they're put in tons of other devices, the thing is, they usually put some safety devices in them. and for the record, i did read the book that came from the manufacturer - in it, there was no "warning", only a "note" about the battery - you had to go to their website to get the "warning" -- so you're right knower of all things, it was stupid of me to assume that like every other rechargeable device i've ever owned, i could simply plug this one in too, & after a few minutes leave it unattended. i should have been able to, but obviously i couldn't, & that's the only thing i've tried to convey here (that & there should be better safeguards built in, but you wouldn't like that.... just like i'm sure you hate seatbelts, airbags, & any other safety device that your so called "big brother" insists on). i hand the floor to you (since you are clearly the winner here, & lipos are 100% safe according to your word - which by all means is law).
Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Time

Clearly, there are extra considerations when using Lipo batteries, however if one follows the instructions, they are safe. Millions are out there, but it will only take someone like yourself over react, to write long, drawn out rant, and sure enough the government will probably step in to save us from ourselves. Your comment regarding seatbelt laws, is ludicrous. Thousands were getting injured or killed in vehicle accidents, hence seatbelt laws. (I do wear mine) One battery fire (again sorry for you) does not make a product unsafe.

I am not alway right as you suggest, and have been wrong as much as the next person, however, I base my opinions on my experience and verifiable evidence, not what someone writes in a long winded post on the Internet. I prefer not to spend my life afraid to get out of the bed in the morning.

If you have anything further to discuss, send a PM to me. People are probably getting bored by both of us.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
bluemax50

Default Should be Some YTpe of Warning Requirement

My only concern with Lipo Batteries is there is really little information being supplied with the batteries themselves. I'm just waiting to hear the
first story surrounding a youngster who ends up getting hurt due to improper handling. The mere fact that it's recommended to constantly monitor lipos while charging and to use a fireproof container should be enough to require at least warning labels on the batteries themselves. To
expect someone to scan a magazine or the internet for proper charging and handling information it just plain stupid, espesially when a 10-12 year old can buy them with no regulation.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Default Warning labels

Originally Posted by bluemax50 View Post
My only concern with Lipo Batteries is there is really little information being supplied with the batteries themselves. I'm just waiting to hear the
first story surrounding a youngster who ends up getting hurt due to improper handling. The mere fact that it's recommended to constantly monitor lipos while charging and to use a fireproof container should be enough to require at least warning labels on the batteries themselves. To
expect someone to scan a magazine or the internet for proper charging and handling information it just plain stupid, espesially when a 10-12 year old can buy them with no regulation.

Well..........My "Thunder Power" Li-po batteries have this on the top.
See photo............

Pic is not very sharp..........It reads:

CAUTION: DO NOT CHARGE BATTERY UNATTENDED.
USE SPECIFIED CHARGER ONLY. MAY EXPLODE IF
DAMAGED OR DISPOSED OF IN FIRE.
DO NOT SHORT CIRCUIT.

on the back is another label........it reads:

CAUTION; This product may
ignite under certain conditions.
Please read safety instructions before use.

In addition there is a safety sheet in the packaging material with battery
when purchased.

If only all the manufacturers took these steps to inform people of the hazards!!!

Best wishes.........

Murph..........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li-po 002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	35827  

Last edited by Biplane Murphy; 07-19-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Tower Hobbies sends a Lipo safety sheet every time they ship a Lipo. It is pretty comprehensive.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Adrian

Imagine if gasoline had only come into production 5yrs ago what safety precautions ALL the goverments of the world would now be putting into force, we'd all have to wear fireproof suits with air supply fitted just to fill our tanks just as a starter (think of your own main courses)! I think there have been a few quality problems both with batts & charging equipment in the past, (after all this is new technology) these have been addressed by (almost) all batt/charger suppliers.
I've only seen 2 batts "self destuct" one had its ESC fail & short the li-po out & the other had "puffed up" then charged up after being abused pulling more amps than it had ever been designed for.(that one was me)
Its not exactly rocket science, stick to the makers recommendations & enjoy a powerfull but light power supply, with a good life span ENJOY!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
tvtech3

Originally Posted by giflyrc View Post
fear Not, Careful Be

yoda
Lol if you research yoda and see what he really represents then you might would retract your statement .
Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM
giflyrc
Gravity is Attractive

Originally Posted by tvtech3 View Post
Lol if you research yoda and see what he really represents then you might would retract your statement .

Research not!

Lighten up you should!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Gustavvader

Li-Ploly Exlposion!

I have a new Walkera #60. It came with a ni-cad battery that only let it fly for about 3 minutes. I puchased a new 11.1V 2200 10C battery for it. I was installing it into the fuselage last night in my living room when it suddenly exploded in my hand. It was partly into the fuselage and I barely got the heli out of the house. The fire was intense, and the smoke worse. The entire helicopter is a loss, I could not get the battery back out due to the flames. I can only guess that the two small screws in the fuselage that hang down tor into the battery itself. I cant believe it really. It burned for almost 5 minutes, and the smoke was horrible. My house smells somethng fierce bad now. I dont know my mistake, I have never had a battery problem until last night, and it wasnt even plugged in and had not yet even been charged from the factory. Im pissed at the lost of my heli, but nobody is hurt. I guess charging isnt the only danger. For those wondering--the battery was brand new out of the box.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Poking a hole in a Li-po Batt will allow air to mix with the Lithium.....
Hence the fire...........They usually have some charge on them from the factory.

sorry for your loss..........Murph.........
Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Brutal E

Yeah saying you left a battery unattended and you had a fire in no way proves these batteries are dangerous. It only proves that you are dangerous. I am not going to get into the fact you have electronics experience and you still did something very stupid. I do not have ten years experience but can read warnings. On the battery, packed in with the battery. Usually listed in the heli manual. Plus I did research on the subject just to make sure I understood everything. Yes you should be careful no you should not be scared unless you live with Chuckles then be very afraid. Sorry but your cautionary tale about lipos is more of a cautionary tale about not paying attention to product warnings. Sorry about your fire and the pet. At least your family was OK. Million ways to do something stupid you just found one. This hobby can be dangerous if you are not paying attention. Ask the instructor who was decapitated by his student. An instructor killed by an RC helicopter! You have to be careful. This is not to make fun of anyone or to scare anyone just be careful and accidents can be avoided. Also go watch the video of the lipo venting it is good to see what you could be in for if you misuse or do not heed warnings.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Adrian

I've seen this happen to a Zoom heli, the ESC fried & shorted out the batt. The owner just ripped the batt out of its cradle-ran out the gym & threw it across the car park where it just sat there smoking for ten mins.
I would check your ESC out before trying another li-po in it. That may be the problem.
I once had a problem with my TREX that made me think my batts had died, but turned out to be the ESC which would work fine 3 flight out of 4 then I would suddenly be landing autos, (which I'm not a big fan of on small helis:<) before it finally died, I cant complain about that because it had done about 40hrs flying time I recon.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Gustavvader

You must be right. Unfortunately, inside the fuselage where the battery sits, the battery is almost perfectly flush with the metal. There are two small screws that hang down, and they must have poked the hole. The battery is far too destroyed to see any holes though. But thanks. If anyone else has a Walkera #60 with a Li-Poly battery, how did you get yours to fit in the fuselage? I used the 10c battery, which was a perfect fix except for those two small upper screws that hang down.

Gustav

Last edited by Gustavvader; 07-22-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Default Scared......I suppose so.

I did a test with an Icepick and a poorly operating lipo 2100mah 3s 15c batt. Charged at about 12.1 volts.......Here's 2 videos for those who might be interested.

Murph.........

Old 07-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Time

Ahhhhhh, this is following the manufactures instructions I believe the whole underlying message in this thread is that if one follows the instructions, Li-Pos are safe. Common sense is also required.

Let's see a video of you checking the electrolyte level in an automobile battery with a lit match. Or perhaps drill through a half full propane tank with a high speed drill. Anyone can make ANY product unsafe if they are determined (or lacking brain cells) to do so.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
dotyj

It didn't look like it took much effort to puncture the battery pack. If something on your plane or helicopter were to rub through the skin of the battery pack, the results could be quite devastating.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Time

Originally Posted by dotyj View Post
It didn't look like it took much effort to puncture the battery pack. If something on your plane or helicopter were to rub through the skin of the battery pack, the results could be quite devastating.
It is not going to take much of an effort to put a sharp piece of steel through most things, including ones hand, but are we going to do it. I think not. I have several helicopters and there is no sharp points to pierce a battery, and by the time the plastic skin could possibly rub through from repeated installs, the battery will be well past it's service life and have already been discarded.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Ahhhhhh, this is following the manufactures instructions I believe the whole underlying message in this thread is that if one follows the instructions, Li-Pos are safe. Common sense is also required.

Let's see a video of you checking the electrolyte level in an automobile battery with a lit match. Or perhaps drill through a half full propane tank with a high speed drill. Anyone can make ANY product unsafe if they are determined (or lacking brain cells) to do so.
Lets see you make a positive comment!!!

I simply wanted to see the extent of the fire danger, having never seen one catch on fire.

Antagonistic comments are welcomed by no-one!!!

Murph............
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Time

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Lets see you make a positive comment!!!

The weather is terrific here today and no batteries have smoked or caught fire.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
dotyj

That's pretty funny.

Good weather and you're not out flying?

I want to fly so bad today it's killing me.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Time

Originally Posted by dotyj View Post
That's pretty funny.

Good weather and you're not out flying?

I want to fly so bad today it's killing me.
Got to pay the bills, but as soon as I get home I will have one of 'em in the air.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Excellent post!!!

Murph........
Old 07-26-2007, 03:32 AM
ScottGTO
Noobie

I charge my LiPo's in a Chiminea with a 3/4 inch piece of plywood over the mouth opening braced by something heavy. I have seen so many videos and after effect pictures of Lipo fires that it's just not worth it to chance it.
Needless to say we just need to respect the possibility of a fire.
Chuckles...sorry to hear about your home and pet.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Quiel
Time to Fly!

What about using a LIPO SACK?