A scratch built plane....kinda... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A scratch built plane....kinda...

Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default A scratch built plane....kinda...

I need a reccomendation...I want to essentially build an aerlon<sp><SP> plane using an existing airframe. I want to make it with a large wing area with about a 36" wingspan. I WILL beef up the frame some...as I expect to go with a largish brushless motor, but I would like it to be quick.....My goal is to BEGIN getting SOME building experience so I can then progress to my own wings, etc....
Can/will anyone make a model reccomendations?
I thank you in advance.
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 PM
proffcharlie

I'm not sure I understand your request. My first question is do you already fly R/C or do you need to learn to fly? What do you mean by existing airframe? With a 36" wingspan you could get around 300 to 350 sq. in. wing area before loosing stability (has to do with Reynolds Numbers). If you do not already know how to fly you do not want a "quick" plane. If you are experienced in flying and want quick and want to build buy a SIG Hummer Pylon racer and convert it to electric. Check out Jasmine's thread on the conversion she did with one. If you want to scratch build, it would be best if you had experience building a few kit planes first. Give a little more description of what you're looking for and we'll see if we can help.

Charlie