Heli Terms for Beginners - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Heli Terms for Beginners

Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM
TheBum
Still in training

How about the meaning of the KV rating of brushless motors? It could either be its own item or added to the definition of Brushless Motor. It took me a bit of searching to find that it translates to RPM per volt applied. Being an EE by education (I'm a software engineer by trade), I immediately mistakenly translated it to kilovolt and wondered how you could generate 3000 kilovolts with a 11.1V battery and have enough current to drive a motor.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
How about the meaning of the KV rating of brushless motors? It could either be its own item or added to the definition of Brushless Motor. It took me a bit of searching to find that it translates to RPM per volt applied. Being an EE by education (I'm a software engineer by trade), I immediately mistakenly translated it to kilovolt and wondered how you could generate 3000 kilovolts with a 11.1V battery and have enough current to drive a motor.
dude! you figure that out and you'll have solved ALL our power issues!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 AM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Brushless motor Kv has been added to the definitions.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
HX3D014

Retreating Blade Stall
A dangerous situation resulting when in fast flight where the blade that is flying towards the helicopters tail looses enough airspeed to generate lift. This can result in loosing control of the helicopter.
More info on why the stall would be Relevant.

See-Saw Head
A form of rotor head where the two rotor blades are "connected" through a feathering shaft (thick wire) so that when one pitches up the other pitches down. This makes for a more stable helicopter an a simpler design, but does not hand le as well as a flapping head type.
I wouldn't confuse people on Feathering. it is Teetering. or flapping . If you liken it to an Airplane. It would be similar to Dihedral.

Dissymmetry of Lift
Describes how the advancing side of the rotor disk is moving faster and thus produces more lift than the retreating side. This causes the helicopter to bank in forward flight and is dampened by flapping blades.
you may want to Include the point of Cyclic action to Cause Symmetry (Relatively or Controlled) Flapping blades and Delta offset are a means of dampening un-commanded disk actions.

Feathering Shaft
A rod which helps support the rotor blades and give them more ridged strength. A flapping head has two feathering shafts (one for each blade) and a sea-saw head has one feathering shaft (running the span of the head)
I get confused when I read this. Are you trying to describe the Feathering Axis of the Blade (PITCH) or the Teetering action ??

Flapping
A type of rotor head where the two rotor blades are not connected directly through the feathering shaft (a thick wire), each blade can move somewhat independently of the other resulting in smoother control of the helicopter and the to some degree the feel of a .60 size heli.
Again you mention Feathering on this one. Are you referring to the Teetering action. or an Action of Blade flap on an axis inline with the chord line. if the later. then they are independent.

a shot in the dark here. if you can . could you contact me, re the latest issue(14). I wish to speak of the Vector angles mentioned on Page 107 Blade Articulation Maneuvering
Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
cuc tu

Unfortunately, there is one more term for beginner heli terms. One that nobody likes, but will all come to know.

Crash--Unintentional contact with the ground or other object that usually results in a financial expendature.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Originally Posted by HX3D014 View Post
More info on why the stall would be Relevant.

I wouldn't confuse people on Feathering. it is Teetering. or flapping . If you liken it to an Airplane. It would be similar to Dihedral.

you may want to Include the point of Cyclic action to Cause Symmetry (Relatively or Controlled) Flapping blades and Delta offset are a means of dampening un-commanded disk actions.

I get confused when I read this. Are you trying to describe the Feathering Axis of the Blade (PITCH) or the Teetering action ??

Again you mention Feathering on this one. Are you referring to the Teetering action. or an Action of Blade flap on an axis inline with the chord line. if the later. then they are independent.
I didn't come up with the terms or descriptions. They were compiled from various heli sites and were written by experts, instructors or companies.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

Feathering Shaft
A rod which helps support the rotor blades and give them more ridged strength. A flapping head has two feathering shafts (one for each blade) and a sea-saw head has one feathering shaft (running the span of the head)
** The feathering shaft is what's being described. It is exactly as the description says, a one piece ridgied rod that connects the 2 blades together. This is not a description of "feathering". Again, I did not write these definitions as the previous post explains.

Flapping
A type of rotor head where the two rotor blades are not connected directly through the feathering shaft (a thick wire), each blade can move somewhat independently of the other resulting in smoother control of the helicopter and the to some degree the feel of a .60 size heli.
**Flapping

Again, this refers to the feathering shaft and NOT feathering. There is a difference between the two. Later in the the description it states flapping style heads have somewhat independent blades. This has nothing to do with teetering action or the see-saw. Read the post above as these definitions were not created by me.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
brnyrbbl
Powered by Visa

See-Saw Head
A form of rotor head where the two rotor blades are "connected" through a feathering shaft (thick wire) so that when one pitches up the other pitches down. This makes for a more stable helicopter an a simpler design, but does not hand le as well as a flapping head type.
Originally Posted by HX3D014 View Post
Actually, it wouldn't be similar to dihedral. If the rotor blades were allowed to travel creating a concave rotor disk where the blades pitched up equally from the center to the tip then it would be similar to dihedral. Again, this was not a description for feathering OR the feathering shaft. It was for the see-saw and it simply included the feathering shaft to demonstrate how the see-saw head works.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
HX3D014

Originally Posted by brnyrbbl View Post
See-Saw Head

Actually, it wouldn't be similar to dihedral. If the rotor blades were allowed to travel creating a concave rotor disk where the blades pitched up equally from the center to the tip then it would be similar to dihedral. Again, this was not a description for feathering OR the feathering shaft. It was for the see-saw and it simply included the feathering shaft to demonstrate how the see-saw head works.
correct. and so it is not feathering. the point is to look at one blade alone. and when it alone goes up. the direction is similar to the effect of adding dihedral. (Ignore the opposit blade for now) and so this example was given to indicate that there was no feathering of the Pitch. but the whole blade in the SAME way a wing is moved when adding anhedral or dihedral. I am fully aware of what is different. but as that blade Flaps or teeters up . it is moveing the same way a wing would if you added Dihedral.

Feathering is just for Pitch change.
teter or flap.
teeter has one hinge central to the Shaft axis. and Flaping has one hinge per blade.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
brnyrbbl