A Comparison. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

A Comparison.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
therocker

Default A Comparison.

Just was wondering with whoever owns some of these planes or has had experience with them. I am curious to see which is the best one I should go with or if they're all relatively the same.

I am looking into the Focke Wulf, the P-51 Mustang, and the Spitfire.

Any help would be great!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Were you thinking about any particular brand or even size of model ? There are lots of different models of all those planes and they don't all fly the same....but none of them are really good beginners models.

Steve
Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 PM
therocker

Default planes

i was thinking of the parkzone models. i am new at this, and i have a gws beaver plane. my friend just bought a focke wulf and flew it, and its just amazing! similiar planes to that are the spitfire and the 51 mustang from parkzone.. so i was thinking of either one of those.. but i am wondering if there are any differences.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
BobbyCoffins

hopefully they all fly about the same and we can they battle with the sonic combat pack. this time the germans will win!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Leo L

I don't have any of them, but by accounts on the various threads, the newest one, the Spitfire, is the easiest to fly; the FW-190 is in between; and the P-51, the oldest of the three, is the hardest. The P-51 also has some issues with the battery cover, etc. that were corrected on the later models.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:29 AM
skiman762
FFFC

I'm thinking none of these are beginner planes unless your just new to warbirds
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 AM
BobbyCoffins

Originally Posted by skiman762 View Post
I'm thinking none of these are beginner planes unless your just new to warbirds
thats what i was told but i flew mine with no problem, all it takes is common sense with the wind and to be mindful of your altitude. i've flown my FW-190 with my previous experience equally 10 minutes on a Parkzone Decathalon and a fair amount with AeroAces. i can fly the 190 better than i could the Decathalon, that also includes landings and aerobatics.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

The 190 is a sweet looking plane.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Bobby, some people are just naturals at some things. For the rest of us there is a steep learning curve that we go through. Some fliers never progress from the trainer planes and that is fine. I have a good deal of respect and admiration for someone who can do something well with very little experience but when it is said that warbirds are not beginner planes, it is said for the average flier.

I would love to see how you progress in the next few months and welcome to WF!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 AM
BobbyCoffins

i think another contributing factor is that i always fly with someone, who does the launching and i can concentrate on the climb out because i do notice that my 190 likes to bank to the left after the toss. i've read a lot of stories of crashes right off the bat.

i also broke the aileron control horn on one step on a landing, but decided to fly anyways with just one and it still flew prefectly. i love flying this plane.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

There is a pilot that I was reading about recently who was building planes with only one aileron. There is no reason why it would not work but unless you enlarge the surface and increase the throw, it just won't turn quite as well.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM
BobbyCoffins

Originally Posted by Solid Hit View Post
There is a pilot that I was reading about recently who was building planes with only one aileron. There is no reason why it would not work but unless you enlarge the surface and increase the throw, it just won't turn quite as well.
yeah when pulling rolls it was quite a bit slower and yawed a lot more, which i'm thinking it do to the increased drag on the wing with the working aileron. its glued up and ready to go for this weekend, hopefully there will be no wind yesterday we had 40-50kph winds.