What Heli??????? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

What Heli???????

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Aryna

Post What Heli???????

im new to the heli world and i have already had a 2ch venom rescue and a no name 3ch and now in IV been looking at the Venom night ranger 2 and i think thats looking the most promesing. But im still not shure. My price range is about $200 and below and im looking at a 4ch outdoor heli. If anyones got any sugestions please say.

And i would also like the pros and cons of the Venom night ranger 2 if posiable because there are not alot of reviews about the heli.

thanks aryn
Old 04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

If there isn't alot of info on your selection that can be a caution...but hopefully someone can answer your questions having owned one etc...

At the $200 level are many out there but most of those I tried here didn't make it out of the box very well...you might try to move up a notch...

Unfortuately my all time favored FP is the dang Hirobo SRB Quark, flys beautifully out of the box and built very sturdy, is an astounding $350 but was worth it for me, has indeed lengthy threads in its favor.

One questionable one that did fly for me is near your range at $250, is a Eflite Pro 2, now I would not be able to handle this one without prior flying the stable Quark, and dang has this tweaky rear tail motor many say to avoid but they improved things on this model and it holds when trimmed rock solid and hovers decently, I love mine...

Wanting something better staying with Eflite and now purchasing the Blade 400, Ultimatehobbies has it for $350 not bad as sell for up to $469..and has great reviews...its abit larger than the Pro 2 and believe belt driven, likely to fly even better than the Pro 2, its alll there on this one ready to fly..<>..

Check models in the threads and might give the clue to the model you need...so many I've tried loads and Eflite worked rather well so far...

Good Luck, Very Best ..
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Aryna

ok thanks im looking at the venom night ranger 2 because its rather cheap and from what iv read its not bad and im sure to have a few crashes and it seems sturdy and cheap.

i live in melbourne aus and there are not many hobby shops but theres one that stocks the venom ranger and its easyer to beable to get spares strat away when i crash compared to buying online.

thanks aryn
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Believe I did read an old thread on this one and some had success, be aware you have much better choices by mail order, tho LHS is preferred for convenience and parts as well as thier input to get you going...

We flew the cheaper HBFP and some swear by this one but awful for me to get it going, finally another flyer managed to tinker with it and even then broke down etc, but he had it over the other day and it indeed at last flew, not as solid as my other helis but amazing something this cheap can work, but look out again can have issues..<>.

You really don't have to crash and I'm defintely one of the lousy flyers, I read the Rad method and takes tremendous discipline but you put that puppie down immediately when it missbehaves and progress slowly, pays off, I flew the Pro 2 which is abit tweaky to fly with the rear tail motor, and confined in garage dropped it down right away, didn't take long to reach 2 minute hovers, now can fly the battery out and starting to move it out, this hobby is great, on the CP be cautious and you'll make it, takes continual stick, but loads of fun...BEST ..<>.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Aryna

Ok thanks im going to go ahead and get the venom night ranger and i will keep coming back for more info on helis since this is my first proper one .

thanks aryn
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Good Luck, these puppies are responsive but can be tamed long as you take your time and don't expect miracles at the start...

Ask questions at you local hobby shop, have a simulator of sorts even the lowly Free FMS Flight simulator helps tremendously, it has a static hover but any inputs it starts to have lots of the familiar responses as the real thing, some complain they fly too easy, actually are models out there that fly better....do take off and spot landings and your about ready, concentrate on the behind tail manuvers as orientation is correct with it facing away...

On lift off with this puppies don't lift off at all !!! This is an important step, What you do is keep things level as it powers up and hold things steady, will take correct inputs and proper trim, only then slowly advance to lift and keep it extremely low at the start even tho in the wash, later confidence to the bunnie hops, be patient and you won't crash, hang in there...only the BEST ..<>..

I'm a raw newbie as well but found the following my favored

Eflite MCX coaxial, CX and Lamas also great
Hirobo SRB Quark FP, many will miss this step with $350 tag, but it takes you right to the CP
Eflite Pro 2, tweaky tail, questionable here, my first success on a CP. inlove with it..
Eflite Blade 400 on the way, should handle even better, abit more size, I'm ecstatic..<>..
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Aryna

Smile

ok thanks for the tips iv got a flight sim and iv started on it. im getin the heli tomoz and will take it slow.

thanks aryn
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Would like to see you start with a coaxial, just to get some orientation etc..but if your careful and take your time and go slowly, less likely to have misshaps...may let us know how it works for you...I've enjoyed these helis once I found the ones that fly for me....hang in there..BEST ..<>..

My choices todate...

Eflite MCX Coaxial $125
Hirobo SRB Quark Fixed Pitch $350..exceptional model, read the threads...
Eflite Pro 2 3D CP..$250..great fun, love it todate...
Efite Blade 400 $350.. on the way..likely an improvement..

Newbies input here
The coaxials fly much easier, infact in a short time likely to become bored but will get you started
Suddenly things become frustrating, the jump to CP or FP is huge, things quickly become challenging
Use simulators, better to hit reset then trying to replace parts or another heli
Is an exception here, the Quark flys nearly like the coaxial, unusual for small heli, its the model..
Pro 2 is not the best CP out there, tail motor is tweaky, but nice gyro stability, worked after the Quark
Blade 400 gets better reviews, I will also add comments after flown, hardly wait...

If you did your homework, doing the simulation, should be a smoother ride long as your find the models that work for you....

I never damaged the Pro 2 other than blades learning to hover this beast, do the Rad method and go slowly with extreme caution, patience, plenty of discipline to put the model down rather than fly it into trouble, takes these mini progression steps to have the satisfying flights with zero crashes, it can be done, simply take your time ...<>..

Last edited by phillipmorris; 04-22-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Twmaster

Ok...

Couple of points to bring up here before you go and buy that Venom heli. (Sorry if I'm too late)

DO not buy the Venom. It's way overpriced. That is the exact same heli as the Walkera #4. It is made for Venom By Walkera. You can get a new #4 for a little more than half the cost of the Venom. (About $85 shipped from Xheli)

Second. These are not good outdoors unless you are experienced or there is little to no wind.

If you only have $200 and want an outdoor heli get a Walkera #36 with a brushless motor. The radios suck on them but the airframe is basically a Shogun V2 and is not hateful. It even comes with a decent heading hold gyro. If you have more in your budget a Blade 400 is an excellent choice. Bigger helis are more stable as a general rule.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Aryna

ok iv put the venom on hold and i havent got it yet and im going to look at the other helis surgested. the only thing is theres not many hobby shops in melb au and the one only sells venom.

if anyones fot any good sites please tell.

thanks aryn

and i wanna get a 4ch to start easy to learn on.

Last edited by Aryna; 04-22-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've been thru so much of this, cheaper ones might make it but can be frustrating to say the least...I would currently point towards the Blade 400 unless its too much for your pocket book, but warn things get pricy on repairs and moving to entirely different models when things simply won't work..my 400 should arrive today, have no doublt of its ability with all the thread data...

Best price is $350 and not bad as sells for up to $469 elsewhere, Utlimatehobby has the best pricing I'm aware for this dude...your going to correctly get loads of suggestions, my models worked is best I can tell you...If you can afford the coaxial as well many of the Lamas work and are prolific nearly everywhere...

Good Luck...
Blade400
http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=EFLH1400!1002

Also carry the Pro 2 $250 if money is a concern, will have a tweaky tail motor but the gyro does hold, I absolutely love mine thru hover stage and some movments, but that was after the FP Quark...

Again you don't fly these right off the bat, learn to hold them steady on the ground as they power up then the lowest bunnie hop, eventually brief hovers...go Slooooow, almost gurantee no crashes, but you can't push things, and yep lots of simulator..<>..
Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Aryna

ok im gona get the NR2 iv heard good things about it and il tell you how it is when it arrives .

thanks aryn
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Keep us posted how it flys...
Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Aryna

Default not in

The VNR2 is not gona be in for a while so iv been looking at 6ch helis and have desided i might get a e-flite blade pro 2 or esky honey bee cp2/king 2 if VNR2 doesnt arive.And which heli would be the best outside.

(should i skip the 4 ch and go straight to 6 or stivk with a 4 ch till i get good.)

thanks Aryn