Carbon fiber blades - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Carbon fiber blades

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Shadow

Default Carbon fiber blades

I got a pair of carbon fiber blades with my Blackhawk 450SE and have never used them. What are the advantages and disadvantages? I'm guessing that they are used for 3D flying? I'm fairly new to the hobby can hover tail in and both sides, FF but return heli in reverse. Is it time to try these babys out or not. Thanks Shadow
Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wait on those bad boys! CF blades are great but certainly not for the beginner or weak of heart... They are very strong so if you crash with them, you won't likely break them. BUT, when you crash, you will break stuff further down the line. The great part of wood blades for early flight is when you crash, they break. Wood blades will save you time and money in other parts.

The bottom line is that when you go in hard (or even moderately), you are going to break something. You want it cheap and easy to fix. Stick with the wood blades for now.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 AM
mydartswinger

Actually, my experience is quite the opposite. Wood blades nick and ding easier, but in a hard crash, the carbons break so much easier.

The advantage of a carbon blade is that they don't flex as much as a wood blade, thus making them more responsive and efficient for faster flight and crisper aerobatics and 3D. Carbon blades run 2-3 times the cost of a set of woodies for the same heli. Best to wait on these until you can get into basic aerobatics and continually bring the heli back in one piece from flight to flight.

Woodies flex, allowing for a more stable helicopter. They are heavier, so take more power to spin, slowing the machine down, and keeping it from doing too many hard maneuvers without bogging the head. Woodies are cheap and expendable. Best to use when working your way through hovering, forward flight, and the beginnings of basic aerobatics, as well as when you're crashing often.