HELP Esky Lama, Hunter et al 2.4ghz. RIP OFF? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

HELP Esky Lama, Hunter et al 2.4ghz. RIP OFF?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 PM
stephan

Default HELP Esky Lama, Hunter et al 2.4ghz. RIP OFF?

HELP PLEASE, I'm fixing to walk away from this hobby. I'm not brand new to this but this is ridiculous.
This month I purchased a Esky Hunter and a Esky Lama v4, both 2.4ghz. the hunter crashed resulting in a burnt out main motor and the 4 in 1 controller. the Lama arrived and after following all the start up instructions to the letter on powering up the heli and opening the throttle the heli shot to the ceiling and would not repond to any tx signels. After crashing to the floor and stalling I removed the canopy replaced another burned out motor and powered it up to check the functions. as soon as the battery was connected the 4 in 1 smoked like hades, sparked and seemed ready to burst into flame. I am sure that on the Lama at least the rx was bad. I belive the Hunter was the same. Now I find that the 2.4 ghz 4 in 1 units have disappeared from parts list and are as far as I can tell after many hours of internet searching unavailable. Even my usual vendor who have been really upfront before are being sketchy and just saying Esky is not producing the units and does not have them on its production schedule.
I did notice alas too late that many many lama etc 2.4 helis are burning the units. I'd be interested in hearing a heads up from other flers who have had this happen.

Now I'm stuck with 2 brand new helis that cannot be repaired. should I write them off and sewer Esky in every forum I can find or
1. Is it possible to purchase a regular 72mhz rx and tx and convert both helis?
2. Is there an aftermarket or other brand rx that would work with out dropping major bucks on a serious tx,rx setup?
Pleas, Please ,Please Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
fishingdan

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have no experience with the esky 2.4 gear. The results could have been caused by any number of things. Recently the lama was on sale at Hobby Lobby for less than $70.

You can easily swap out the esky 2.4 4 in 1 with a esky 72mhz 4 in 1 and then pick up an esky 4 channel 72 mhz tx. This should be relatively inexpensive. However, by the time you add shipping costs, you can probably pick up a new 72mhz lama v4 rtf package for just about the same and then use your other lama for spare parts.

I have the lama myself and it is a nice flying heli with inexpensive replacement parts. I had the "shoot to the ceiling" thing happen once. My kids had flipped the throttle servo reverse switch one night. The next time I tried to fly, the 4 in 1 LED wouldn't turn green and I couldn't figure out why. Inexperience caused me to start moving the tx controls around. When I moved the throttle up to 100%, the light turned green and I automatically pulled the throttle down to what I thought was 0% only to blast the heli tot he ceiling.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:22 PM
stephan

Hey fishingdan, Thanks for the input. I'm unclear on switching the rx though. do Eskys have crystals like Walkeras? Would my Walkera crystals work on the Esky equipment.?
I'm still not sure which way to go. I'm really reticent to toss good money after bad.I may be missing something but I don't see many threads where one of the 72,35mgz controllers fried but lots of 2.4ghz and there is the issue of not being able to purchase the 2.4's anywhere that indicates at the very least that they are in demand(?) Who buys "spare" rx's?
you are right another Lama would repair 1 Heli so to get both flying would double that costs. Hmmm does a person want 200. dollar Esky coaxials or would a Eflite Blade be a better overall investment?
Well I'll see what other good advice folks offer and I'm curious what Esky will do. Have you folks noticed the log jam in availability of the new coaxials and other models the parts have been scarce since around Xmas but now its March whats with a 3 month shortage of parts and Helis?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Twmaster

Stephan,

What you are going through right now sadly is the learning curve. Basically you've smoked the 3-in-1 board inside the RX blob. It is vitally important to shut the motors off before you crash.

Swapping gear between Walkera and your E-Sky helis is not a good idea and will not interchange well at all.

The parts for your helis are readily available. BP Hobbies, for example, has the 2.4 4-in-1 in stock at $49. I'd wager Xheli has these items also.

If I were in your shoes I would fix what I had. And be careful while learning to fly the thing.

Crashes will happen no matter what you are flying.

One thing you can do to help prevent burning up the 4-in-1 is to put a set of PTC Fuses on the heli. They simply plug in between your motors and 4-in-1 and are only $5. Your LHS can get them if they do not already have them in stock.

Also, I'd be interested in buying your broken 4-in-1 to experiment with.

Hope that's some help.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
stephan

Hi Twistmaster, I just searched BPHobbies and could not locate the 2.4 maybe I missed it. Do you have a link? Helipal lists them as out of stock and thats been the case they either dissapear from the parts list or are out of stock. my reglar supplier who is very reliable says the Esky rep said they have NO production schedule for that unit(?) We can all learn more but I'm not a virgin to this either. I learned on Walkeras flying them for over a year with no problems with the controllers at all even with stalls. blade strikes and burned out motors. I was less than clear in my initial post I have a Hunter and a Lama. the Hunter was crashed and I accepted that as reasonable. the Lama was set up and flown following the instructions exactly. It sailed to the ceiling as soon as I touched the throttle. I immediatly shut it down but it would not accept any inputs fell down and literally burned the controller. there are many reports of this on forums so I'm reticent to accept its all pilot error.
Also I have been surfing the web for a week and do not find the 2.4 ghx EK2- 0705 anywhere. the regular controller EK2-7050B is widely available.
The real issue for me though is what to do. I can spend a couple hundred bucks to replace these helis, giving me spares for 2 plus the usual spares I purchased initially. Inserting a fuse link is a great idea can you tell me which ones are compatible? I've seen the ones for the Blade CX.

I think if anyone wants to look for the elusive EK2-0705 controller they will have some of the questions I have. I'm not trying to bag on Esky for any reason or promote another I would just like a heli that doesn't explode when exposed to oxgen.
ps: I'll be happy to talk about the 2.4 equipment is there a way to PM you?

Last edited by stephan; 03-01-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: post script
Old 03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Twmaster

Stehan...

BP has the 708 not B version Xheli lists the 2.4 unit for the hunter in stock see here.

You can PM me if you like. just click on my profile.

Also. Please.. The handle is TWMASTER....

Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
aero_k

I have had the 2.4 Lama v4 for about 2 weeks and, aside from about 10 broken blades, have had no problems. Knowing others are having problems now, I'll be sure to be careful. Overall I like the Lama. Just take it slow, and hopefully it will treat you well.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:45 AM
ario410

Hello All,
And Stephan, I feel your pain! I have a 2.4 Ghz Esky Lama V3 and had flown it for 2 months. Just the other day, I was flying when a friend stopped by; I landed and turned Tx and receiver off. About an hour later went to fly again, and that was the last time the Tx would work. I recently had ordered another 2.4 Ghz for my friend and his Tx binds and works perfectly with my heli, but my Tx only flashes the red led of death! I did however, install 5 amp fuses on the motors on the Lama now to avoid burning out the 4 in 1. I have fried many fuses, but the 4 in 1 still working. Good luck... A Rio