Honey Bee 4CH RTF vs Blade CX2 vs Blade CP - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Honey Bee 4CH RTF vs Blade CX2 vs Blade CP

Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 PM
CRZYFLY

Default Honey Bee 4CH RTF vs Blade CX2 vs Blade CP

Hello Everyone,

I quite new to RC helicopters. I bought about 6 months ago my first helicopter and (regretfully) decided for a Blade CP Pro. DEFINITELY NOT FOR BEGINNERS. I wish I would have done some more research. After crashing it several times and spending a quite some money into parts, I'd like to buy another helicopter which is somewhat easier to handle.

I think the CX2 might be a little bit too easy. I got quite good at the FMS, I think I am not an absolute beginner anymore. The guy at the local hobby shop said that many customers have problems switching from the CX2 to the CP. He claims the CP is also pretty tough to handle.

I looked at the ESKY Honey Bee 4CH RTF. The price is certainly right. It says it is also outdoor capable at calm conditions and designed for beginners. What are your experiences with this helicopter? Are there any other helicopters which I should consider? I am not quite sure what to buy.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM
ih8nixon

The skids on the honey bee fp are weak, but otherwise mine has stood up to hitting fences, trees and my house. The parts are cheap and the only repair that has cost me more than $15 was due to my decision to put in a 3s lipo and when I went to full power the control links popped of and the heli went uncontrolled into the side of my house. There is a good article on the honey bee fp at
http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...tle=HoneyBeeFP

If you order one I would suggest buying a couple sets of extra fly-bars an extra tail motor and either a landing skid set for the blade cp or the super skid set. You also might consider ordering the main blade control links and the paddle control frame as I have broken both of these.

One of the thing I really like about this heli is that the fly-bar is made of carbon fiber so it won't bend and when it breaks at the very edge of the paddle after a crash you can just remove the piece of broken fly-bar from the paddle, slide over the fly-bar in the heli to balance it reinstall the paddle and fly again.

Oh, and I forgot to add I fly it in my back yard. When I get wind it can become a handful, but it will handle breezes just fine.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Time

I had a Blade CP....... it was awful. Now have a HoneyBee King and what a difference. Go for the HB 4 channel...you will find it a superior helicopter to the Blade.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM
CRZYFLY

Thanks for your help. Sounds pretty sweet. The replacement part prices are also quite a bit cheaper for the Honey Bee compared to the CP.
I am going to get a Honey Bee 4ch. I guess the CP will stay on the shelf for a while.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 AM
UglyNet

Originally Posted by Time View Post
I had a Blade CP....... it was awful. Now have a HoneyBee King and what a difference. Go for the HB 4 channel...you will find it a superior helicopter to the Blade.

What problems did you have with your Blade CP? I've got a Blade CP+ on the advice of a young man at the LHS vs. the Axe CP and I've been pretty pleased with my Blade but I only have one point of reference.

I flew fixed wing for many years but have been away from the hobby for the last couple of years so this is all a bit amazing to me still. The only problem I've had with the Blade was my decision to put plastic blades on it in the effort to reduce ugly landing repair costs. It actually ended up costing me more in parts and MUCH more in time than the wood blades would have. Since switching back to wooden blades I've not had any trouble. Of course I've also read Radd's tutorial as well and worked on some of his exercises which helped immensely.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Time

I followed the Radd plan also, but the CP just did not seem to be stable at all. I will give a tiny bit and admit that it may have been my skill level, but didn't have any similar problems with the HB. As you did, I went with the plastic blades on the CP and and the helicopter nearly destroyed itself, even in minor crashes.

From day one, the CP wanted to go where IT wanted to go, whereas the HoneyBee flew really nice, and where I wanted it to go. Maybe the CP was a "one off" bad one, but having had both, my recommendation would go with the Honeybee King.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM
CRZYFLY

I am pretty much limited to fly in my backyard. It's very open land, therefore there is always a little bit of wind. The guy at the LHS sold me a CP Pro with flat bottom blades and said that it should be ok for a beginner. Apparently it was not. The Pro is way to unstable for a beginner to learn, especially if there is a little bit of wind. I haven't had an empty battery so far without making repairs to the heli.

I also tried the plasti-blades and must say that they created more damage than they did any good. I don't even remember how many new tails I put into the helicopter because they were snapped off.

I actually build my own landing gear using some carbon fiber tubing I had form a kite and made a much bigger version of the beginner landing gear with the ping-pong balls. The base has now a bigger diameter than the rotor and the heli sits about 1 ft above the ground. The whole landing gear is a little wobbly, but that actually functions as a shock absorber for ugly landings. The new landing gear works actually wonders.

But I still ordered a Honey Bee FP and hope that it will be a little bit more fun than so see the CP Pro constantly crashing.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
UglyNet

Here's what I found that seems to help a bit. On my Blade CP+ I noticed that the pushrods for the swashplate were all the way out on the servo control horns. I know from previous experience that this will produce the greatest throw and thus the greatest sensitivity. I've moved the pushrods in two holes on the five hole control arm and that seems to help and also keeps from distorting the main shaft at full throw, another problem I found while bench testing after a, um, very hard landing. The Blade CP is pretty darn twitchy for sure but I've found that FS One does a VERY good job of simulating it. If it's as accurate with the Blade CX as it is the CP, I would have been instantly bored with the CX. I have been having a lot of fun flying fixed wing things as well but I keep coming back to the helis.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 PM
CRZYFLY

I got the HoneyBee FP. Awesome. Like a dream. There is no comparison to the Blade CP. Took it out of the box, charged the batteries and flew around in my backyard without creating a major damage. The helicopter is not too easy to control like a coax but makes a lot of fun to fly.
I should have gotten the HoneyBee FP in the first place. Would have saved a lot of money and headache.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:22 AM
bobrbx

Does the Honeybee king 4 ch has gyro or not?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 AM
bassplayinDude

The HBFP has a rate gyro built into the 4-in-1 control unit. This is not a heading hold gyro.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I've been flying fixed wing aircraft for about 4 years now, and finally decided to take the helicopter plunge.

I opted for the CX2, based on all the horror stories I've heard about newbies crashing their new helicopters -- and spending tons of money on spare parts.

I've put about 40 flights on my CX2, and have been very successful -- I haven't broken anything, or crashed into anything. It's a good feeling. Is it "too easy"? No -- it's still a challenge to fly indoors, around the house. I fly in my living room, entry way, dining room, breakfast room, and kitchen, all in the same flight. I've started trying spot landings, and even swooping down on my cat.

Last weekend, I upgraded my CX2, with several options (including the heat sink, drilling cooling holes in the 3-in-1, and a new MD500 fuselage). It's been a blast!

I'm sure I will upgrade to something else, later on -- but this is great, for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101_7211.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	57210  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 AM
RVflying

I think the Heli-Max , AXE CPv3, (if you go this route make sure its the CPv3 they do have older models at the same price and look alike in the box) I think its Towel Hobby has it for $159 other places $200. You get a lot for your money. See backyard Flyer, May 09. Also The Innovator (not out yet, around Sep) See modelairplane news.com for more.