Thunder Tiger Innovator RC Helicopter - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Thunder Tiger Innovator RC Helicopter

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 AM
nascarwings

Default Thunder Tiger Innovator RC Helicopter

Was at my local hobby shop today and he had a Thunder Tiger Innovator RC Helicopter sitting on his desk i looked at it and he asked me to give it a try,,,,soooo i did and i flew it could not believe it..lol. I have a belt cp and have never got the ping pong balls off it..lol...im not a heli guy but if ya got 700 bucks (ouch..lol) this looks like a winner...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
gwong

overpriced in my opinion
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Monti
Spinless Loser Newb

Default OK so

What would you buy?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Personally, for the causal heli guy (myself) I'm looking forward to the Multiplex Funcopter FP heli.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996708
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Monti
Spinless Loser Newb

Ya, the Funcopter looks indestructible. Fixed pitch, direct drive, foam body, flexible rotors with a long flight time on a battery. Could be a winner! Very user friendly. Make you wonder if it will make it over here and if it does, how much it will cost.

But making it so robust like that, doesn't that take all the fun out of being able to fly one?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
gwong

The LHS are selling them for about $769.00 cdn. If you are willing to spend this much for a heli than I will make an assumption that you are serious about the hobby and plan to stick with it for some time. If it was me...I would do some research first...see what is available. Find a flying club and talk to the members...see what everyone else is flying. Maybe even ask to try flying a heli on a buddy box...maybe you won't even like the hobby...who knows.

If you are certain you will stick with the hobby go spend as much as you can afford on a good radio.

As for the heli...I would buy one that is out for at least 1 year...allows time for all the bugs to get ironed out.

The obvious one would be the Trex...it's tried and trued

Also check that your LHS supports your heli of choice...nothing worse than grounded because you have to wait for parts.

In my area I can drive to 3 or 4 hobby shops and they all support Align and / or E-lite

Sorry for the long answer but this is the approach I took when wanting to buy a heli.

If you wanted the quick answer it would be the Blade 400 because it's been out for a while, comes with great parts support and price wise it's $200.00 less which in alot of budget minded hobbyist like myself it's a huge decison breaker.

Thanks,

Gord.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Originally Posted by nascarwings View Post
Was at my local hobby shop today and he had a Thunder Tiger Innovator RC Helicopter sitting on his desk i looked at it and he asked me to give it a try,,,,soooo i did and i flew it could not believe it..lol. I have a belt cp and have never got the ping pong balls off it..lol...im not a heli guy but if ya got 700 bucks (ouch..lol) this looks like a winner...
I was really surprised when a fellow club member told me about this heli i went home looked it up. seen videos and read as much as I could. A while back I started looking into it again and seen its going to be $700+ for it I was really disappointed and hoped the price would be closer to $300 maybe. a tuff heli thats capible of 3d thats great. They Over priced it BIG time.
I wish them well with sells and sure plenty will buy but not me, I can own
about 5 Blade CP's for that price and plenty parts to fix them.

I was thinking this heli be a great "try it with it" heli but not for that price.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've had issues with helis above coaxial, then I found the fixed pitch, some of the cheaper ones were terrible out of the box, caught threads on the Hirobo SRB Quark FP and wow, huge difference, hover stability off the charts, but pricy over $300, however it flys beautifully, great....Hirobo also has a CP in the works, hardly wait...

Now the Innovator, again costly, but if it flys even close to the videos, hardly wait...throw away the ping pong balls, its time to fly !!

Are these all that pricy, lets see two Honey Bee FP, little success, recent Honey Bee King 3, got it going for brief hovers, but gads horrible wobble somewhere, buy cheap or lets get something that flys right out of the box, I vote for success..<>..

BEST ..<>..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Did you hear the opening on this thread, never got the trainer ping pongs off, unfortunately this is the issue for many of us beginners, sad so many inferior helis take away all the fun, many leave finding it far too difficult...

As a Newbie having serious problems with these lower priced no go models, I'll give a few suggestions...

Complete newbie go for a nice coaxial, Eflites series is fine, love the mini micro flys like a trooper, than you will become bored...things get frustrating

A larger heli certainly can make it, but if you think the Innovator is pricy, not even close on the mega machines tho again would do it...

Lets see what works on the mini's, aha all these threads on the Hirobo SRB Quark, ouch $325 and up, but it really flys out of the box, for a FP its a beauty, I'm currently really enjoying mine, its a fantastic flyer...

Ok now where, it gets to be an issue, have some 3D's boxed way above my current level, so the Innovator, ok pricy again but for just above the newbie and a CP to boot, looks fantastic, mines on the way, will let you know next week on arrival..again note the opening thread statement, it flew !!! So its up to you, fight with the ping pongs or start with the latest tech, actually its only the tip of the iceberg, can only imagine whats up next...now we can fly at last....way over due...BEST ..<>...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
EtheAv8r
Old Fool!!!

Well I bought an Innovator MD530 two weeks ago and love it – can’t get the software, still waiting for my LHS here in UK to get it. I bought a pact of 4 sets of extra blades – at £13 excellent value – especially as I have not needed them yet – the flying for me as a CP beginner is great with the two out-of-the-box setups, though now after a few flights I am ready to wind down the Expo on all channels, but particularly the rudder.

For me flying RC helicopters is very difficult, I tried with an Hirobo Shuttle some 17 years ago I - but it was beyond me (I had flown fixed wing RC OK to "B" Certificate standard some years prior but gave it up to fly full size fixed wing).

I restarted RC flying a couple of years ago with both fixed wing models (Multiplex Acromaster, Precision Aerobatics Addiction and Precision Aerobatics Extra 260) - all still in one piece and relatively 'as new' and also on the helicopter side with the Hirobo XRB Lama – and I still have it – but am about to sell that on eBay. I learned to hover and get some orientation skills and forward/backward/left/right leading to circuits and had great fun with the contra rotation XRB, and I also got the RealFlight G3.5 sim. After about a year I then got myself an Hirobo SRB Quark – and learned a lot more, flying out-doors in calm or near calm weather – absolutely great fun and I still love this heli, plus of course I got an eFlight Blade MCX for indoor fun.

For Christmas I bought myself an Outrage G5 kit – wonderful helicopter I am sure – but two much (too lively, too quick, difficult to get properly set-up) for me at the moment, and I have repaired it more that I have tried to hover (3 times). The Innovator is absolutely great. Had it been available 6 months ago I would not have bought the Outrage G5 and would have saved myself £1000 (I also got a Helicommand for it). I am sure the G5 will be great when I can get it set up properly (now just about there I think – but a steep learning curve for a solo self learner), and I have gained a bit more flying experience.

The Innovator solves the proper set-up problem that we beginners have. It is brilliant technology. Spares are very reasonably priced (unlike the Quark spares which are outrageously priced) – though the batteries are rather steep, and the TX is a bit tacky.

I wish TT had an Innovator option without Rx so you could plug in your own Rx and use your own Tx (DX7 in my case). However the reality is they don’t so we have to put up with multiple cheapTx’s.

However the Innovator works! It is a great package! It flies and gives us beginners (particularly old uns… like me) a chance to actually fly a RC helicopter successfully and keep it in one piece and make good solid progress.

I am so pleased I also bought an Innovator EXP on Saturday….. The G5 will have to wait! We just need spares and the software ASAP here in UK! If you like the Quark, you will love the Innovator MD530 - I am so glad I bought one, I am making such good progress now actually flying a CP helicopter and keeping it in one piece. I have tried a Blade 400 that my pal has - for me the Innovator is a better buy.

The Software is essential to make further progress (settings changes to curves and expo etc). the main thing to be aware of is you MUST raise the throttle trim high enough to keep power going to the rotors at all times. Do not fly with the trim at full low or if you lower the throttle stick too low during flight the motor will stall and will take a second or so to power back up.........the heli will fall out of the sky. This heli has a govenor and that keeps the revs constant low stick with low trim = govenor off = no power. ACE in the USA have an excellent two page set-up document that tells you all you need to know - yes I am in the UK but that is one benefit of the Internet!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Very nice report and similar to the issues I've encountered as still learning here indeed...

I had little issues with the coaxials the mini Eflite my current favorite, and glad we both stumbled on the Hirobo Quark, it flys fantastic out of the box...

Had horrible luck with several Honey Bees, realize they do fly, but too much adjusting for some of us including myself for any hope of progress...

Ran into one exception the Eflite Pro2, its still too much for my present skills but do manage some brief hovers, going slow as its lightening quick, only 3 outings but the Pro2 did manage to fly right out of the box, loads more flying to get the feel for this one but having great fun todate...

Meanwhile Looking forward to the Innovator, hardly wait...BEST ..<>...

My recent successful Heli's

Most coaxials, Eflite mini favored at the moment, true indoor fun
Hirobo SRB Quark, sounds pricy till you try more than one that doesnt fly well if at all for the newbie
Eflite Pro2, flew to hovers right out of the box, abit much for openers, but so far liking this one...