Trex 450 SA help with DX7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Trex 450 SA help with DX7

Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
nestbolt

Default Trex 450 SA help with DX7

Just purchased a Trex 450 SA and have completed most of the build up.
I have:
Trex 450SA
Align 35A ESC
Align 430L motor
Futaba GY240 Gyro
Hitec HS-55 servos
Hitec HS-65MG servo on tail
Spektrum DX7 radio
Can some help me with the setup for the radio? I want to set it up for a beginner at first. (no 3D for now)
Any tips would be appreciated that the manual does not help me with.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 02:49 AM
PilotDane

Here's a link to another Wattflyer thread. I listed my DX7 radio setup.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14793

I've got the 401 gyro (which is why there are two gain settings). You will only need one gain number for your 240.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 AM
leapfrog
"I fly daily..."

Looks like a nice little setup, to me. You didn't say what RX you are using... I assume the AR7000 that came with the rig... which will work but is *WAY* overkill... I use AR6100's for my Rex 450's, and the 7000's for my Rex 600's. Just a thought.

What part are you having trouble with? The SA manual has some really nifty tips and pretty much step-by-step setup for the DX6 (which is not that much different from the DX7 - you'll love the 5-point curves, though).

Start off with the servo directions... make sure they are correct, then setup the CCPM mixes (page 29 of the SA manual). Remember, if the mixes are opposite to what you want, changing from a "+" value to a "-" value will reverse that particular mix.

Move on to the sub trims and the travel limits (page 37)... all of that is pretty straightforward.

Finally, the curves come in on page 43. For *my* Rexes and the DX7, I use the following:

TH Curve Normal 0,75,85,95,100
Pitch Curve Normal 48,INH,66,INH,85 (this is set using a pitch guage for a linear -1-degree to +9-degree throw on my heli... you should set yours for your heli)

Since you're probably not going to be using your Idle1 and Idle2 settings just yet... set them to what the manual says...

I enable throttle hold and match the normal pitch curve... that let's me test the bird out without spinning up the motor, and also creates a safety to use moving the bird to the helipad.

So, that's the overview... now fire away with specifics, and we'll get you set up...
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
nestbolt

I hovered it yesterday just to check it out. I had to REV the tail gyro. Also the Blades track about 1/4" to 3/8" apart. I had to trim the tail about 3/4 of the way to the right on the controller to get it to stop turning. I used a digital caliper to build up the control linkages. And I also made sure the swash plate was level after hooking them all up. I sub trimmed them as needed to get it as level as I could. (not much needed). I had a Blade CP Pro before this and had no trouble getting the blades tracked perfectly and the drive train working good. Is this a normal thing?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 AM
PilotDane

It's all in the setup... My TRex will hover hands off (for a few seconds...). Ok, now to the really honest part. I also used calipers during the build and I think I did everything right It did not fly perfectly. I had to go back through and adjust. Basically I mechanically adjusted the linkages until the heli will hover without any trims in the radio.

Even though I have the heli set up well I usually have to adjust the tracking every time I change blades. Every set of blades flies a bit differently (I only fly woodies).

Hang in there. It will be a flying monster once you get it dialed in.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
nestbolt

Ok.. I have gotten everything worked out except I still have to trim the tail to the right to keep it from spinning slowly. Is it normal to have to do this?
Also the heading hold feature that the Gyro has. Is that a good idea to use if you are starting out? It seems to me it would make it harder to fly.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 PM
slappy901

Smile Head Spead

Hey Nestbolt!

I am from Lafayette

Heading Hold will only benefit you and help you keep your heli straight while learning to fly it, as well as when you are manuvering. Makes your heli a lot more predictable and lets you have more control over the "lost orientation" issues that I am sure we have all had.

Tail drifting

I read an article about the brass peice in between the plastic tail slider and the shaft. This thing can come loose and cause massive issues. You can gentley grab it with needle nose and tighten it back up. ALWAYS CHECK BELT TENTION AND SCREWS BEFORE A FLIGHT

Also double check your belt to make sure that it is going the correct path. Tight belt = resistance and slower tail speed, and a broken belt.

I had the exact same issue and it had to do with my throttle curve on my radio. A much neglected fact that you will have to modify this in your radio as factory defaults have a linear 0 = 100%. Not sure if this is your issue, but let me give you the throttle curve specs I have on my 450 and DX7 for standard/normal mode

Point 0 = 0%
Point 1 = 50%
Point 2 = 80%
point 3 = 90%
point 4 = 100%

This completely fixed my tail drifting issues. Also be sure to check your pitch curves. I was a little wus like when I set mine up so I will give you those stats as well. Keep in mind this pitch curve may not work for you depending on how you have your heli set up. But OMG did it make a difference in my ability to move around, hover and flat out fly.

Point 0 = 26%
Point 1 = 29.5%
Point 2 = 50%
Point 3 = 75%
Point 4 = 100%

Just remember that you need to let your heli spool up before you start flying around. Low head speed will cause your tail and many other things to act unexpectedly. I am a noob to the 450, but I no for a fact that low head speed is a killer on heli's

Keep in mind, I am not calling myself a heli nerd. But I have learned a lot over the past few weeks. My Trex 450 SE V2 (Zoie) is flying like a bat out of hell with more umph than I can handle

I hope this helps!

Slappy901

Last edited by slappy901; 03-13-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Additional text
Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 PM
electrodude71

Thumbs up

one other thing get rid of those hs-55 servos on your cyclic. one hard sit down and there toast. i use hs-65hb's but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
electrodude71

Thumbs up

oh my bad LOUISIANA IN THE HOUSE lol
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
slappy901

Default Servos

I completely agree about the servos. Hitec HS-65MG's on my girls. Just picked up a 250 and she fly's GREAT!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

I don't want to be a pain but I thought I would point out the obvious (hopefully)...

I'm pretty sure nestbolt doesn't need the help anymore. This thread started in March and ended in April of 2007.

Happy flying,
Heli G.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 AM
slappy901

Yeah I gathered after the fact. Figured I would leave the post up anyway. I find new information all the time and figured I would help with what works for mine.