Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

Clearview or Phoenix?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:08 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Default Clearview or Phoenix?

I have my first plane an Apprentice S. Looking for a sim to train a little with and have discovered both Clearview and Phoenix have that model included. Currently leaning toward Clearview because it is far less expensive.

Can some of you share your experience of the two sims?

THX
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Go with RealFlight!

Ok, seriously, I have NO experience with Clearview, but my LHS has RF and Phoenix stands right next to each other, and I tried both. To me, RF felt way more real. (Pardon the pun) It seemed like RF took the mass of the plane into account and Phoenix didn't. It's hard to really describe.

And as far as actually having the Apprentice in the program, I wouldn't put that much faith in the actual model being in the program. I feel none of the sims are perfect, and you'll train just fine with a similar plane. Just find a high wing electric trainer of similar size.

As far as Clearview, I can't say. I'll have to go check their site out.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I downloaded RF Demo. I like it but hard to get a feel for it because in the Demo trial version it will only let you use the keyboard for control. What I did like about RF is the Gadgets like binoculars and variometer. Like flying real RC planes my challenge is orientation when the plane gets a bit of distance from me. Kind of embarassing be a private pilot. Flying a real plane and RC is quite different. Strange I am more scared flying RC than the real thing.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Quick question about RF. I am confused by all the different packages. Which one should I be looking at? I just want planes, anything else is just a bonus.

Also can I buy a cable to use either my DX5 or DX7s radio on RF?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Yes, when I had RF3.5 the binocular was my favorite feature, then I could set the main screen to auto zoom, and it would keep the runway mostly in sight, and I could still see the orientation of the plane.

And yes, you can use your own tx. You need a cable, and I think it plugs into the tx that comes with the sim. (I guess it's their copy protection insurance.) I'm not 100% on how it works though, so maybe someone who has will expand on that.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Oh, and I think most places sell RF with an airplane or heli 'megapack'. If you're really on a budget, there's RF Basic, I think it's called, but you're limited on the flying sites and planes I think.

I just checked out Clearviews site. Looks like you might be able to download a demo there, too. Their video looks pretty good, but it's a lot of short cut scenes. I'll try to dl it and see. It's a way more affordable option.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I just checked out Clearviews site. Looks like you might be able to download a demo there, too.
I down loaded the DEMO version and kind of liked it for a few hours. After a few hours it DISABLES itself.

Clearview does not have the GADGETS like RF from what little I seen before it self destructed. Bu tit does allow you to try it with game controllers and radio unlike the RF DEMO.

My real issue is CV is $40, and RF & Phoenix is $180. Being a Beginner I am not certain I want to take up the Hobby in the long term. My favorite hobby is kind of expensive and I am very good at it. GOLF! With that said no ta lot of time and money left over for other hobbies. I just do not want to trash my new plane too soon and give up, so looking for some realistic simulator stick time at a reasonable price.

My biggest problem is Orientation as the ole 50 something year old eyes are not as good as they use to be. Hey I can still my my golf ball flying in the air 280 yards down the fairway, but I cannot tell if my plane is upside down at 280 yards after a steep turn.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Just checked out Clearview demo. It's OK, but yeah, RF and probably Phoenix are way better. I found the high wing trainer in RF wasn't too bad/ And I didn't notice any settings to adjust wind. That's a big plus on RF, at least. Turn up a little wind and average wind gusts, and you really get a sense like it's the real thing.

As far as budget sims go, there are also Flying Model Simulator and RC Desk Pilot, which are both free. Not too far below Clearview's demo at least, except not as many plane choices as the CV full version, but hey, it's free!

Anyways, there's a few choices to mull over.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
As far as budget sims go, there are also Flying Model Simulator and RC Desk Pilot, which are both free. Not too far below Clearview's demo at least, except not as many plane choices as the CV full version, but hey, it's free!
I have FMS, not impressed. I do better with real RC than FMS. All I can do with FMS is take off, twist, turn, crash and burn.