Standard & Large E-Heli Talk Discuss all standard and large sized electric rc helicopters in here

Blow me down - surprise !! I can still hover !

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Blow me down - surprise !! I can still hover !

It's been many moons since any of my 450's graced the flight line ... work and striving for speed and getting older classic fixed wing back in air.

My primary 450 - the Upforce (clone of the Vers 2) .... also had a bad incident when last out ... main, feathering and flybar shafts all needing replacement. She sat on the side and I looked, but laziness crept in and she sat there for months.

Today after swapping out to new the shafts ... quick swash level, check static zero blade pitch ... strapped on LiPo.... flipped of the Thro Hold and went into hover ... OK - I see-sawed quite a bit and put her down many times and straight back up again ... but what surprised me was that I could do it. Honest - the time away from these accidents looking for a place to happen - is considerable and I expected a hard time ...

There's hope in this old boy after all !!

Nigel
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

LOL, won one of the smaller gravity defying contraptions at the SEFF raffle this year and actually enjoyed flying the thing. They are a challenge to fly, and a stable hover outside in the wind is interesting to say the least!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Solent........

Good to hear the 450 is getting some work and still in good shape.....!

Those egg beaters are not like fixed wing when time spent away from the sticks......wish it was as easy as that old saying "like riding a bike", which is more true for planes.....the last time I gave my 450 a work-out (really, I got the work-out)......I was in worse shape than the heli......it had been almost a year since I touched her.....she made the 8 min. flight in one piece, but it took me an hour to recover....lol...I Should had jumped on a sim first, just to prepare my nerves...lol
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Solent........

Good to hear the 450 is getting some work and still in good shape.....!

Those egg beaters are not like fixed wing when time spent away from the sticks......wish it was as easy as that old saying "like riding a bike", which is more true for planes.....the last time I gave my 450 a work-out (really, I got the work-out)......I was in worse shape than the heli......it had been almost a year since I touched her.....she made the 8 min. flight in one piece, but it took me an hour to recover....lol...I Should had jumped on a sim first, just to prepare my nerves...lol
I have to admit that I forgot all about my sim - would have been good idea to use first. But then maybe I would have frightened myself of from getting the 450 out!
I remember back in 80's when I used to have months at sea. Home and trying to fly my glow powered heli ! Different ball game then - gyros were heavy rate jobs only and very unreliable.

I was really chuffed that the 450 went back to hangar in good condition!

Nigel