Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

CMP C-160 Transall

Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Default CMP C-160 Transall

This was a NEW plane to me but I am not completely sure it is all that new as offered by China Model Products through Nitroplanes.com. I ordered mine after my good friend Glenn Williams had ordered one and sent me pictures and spurred me to want one through his telephone description of the thing!!

Like a lot of others I am easily swayed into getting a "NEW" model if a friend heartily recommends it. This plane was recommended as a fiberglass fuse and balsa/ply wing and tail model that seemed (and as a matter of fact WAS!) very complete as delivered in the huge shipping box. Matter of fact the shipping box was the WORST part of the entire plane!! LOL!!

By Chinese standards the box was well packed and amply cushioned. The plane parts were all intact and nice so I guess that is correct but the box certainly would not fair well in rough shipping as it is VERY thin cardboard that seems to tear when you look at it!

Some pictures below and more to follow!

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_maiden00001.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	125582   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_maiden00002.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	125583   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_maiden00003.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	125584   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_maiden00004.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	125585  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

I like to get to the good stuff first.

The plane really went together very quickly as the fiberglass fuse is quite oversize but very deceptively light in weight! The servo trays are for standard servos so if you are like me and use HS-225's or som other smaller servo in the fuse you will need to make some sub trays for better fit of the smaller servos. The HS-225's are ample though for this plane.

Recommended power for this plane is two 2213 X 1100 motors and two 25 amp speed controls. My friend had ordered the Turnigy 2213's from HC and was going to use a pair of 30 amp speed controls he already had on his build. I looked at these motors and decided that they were too small! (LOL!!) Didn't have enough watts for the weight of the finished aircraft for performance and seemed to me to not be the motor of MY choice. I chose instead to follow my rule of "You can't have TOO MUCH POWER!" and ordered the Turnigy 3536 X 1300kv motors and a couple of Turnigy Plush 30 amp speed controls from HC.

Big motors for this plane!!

Hopefully I have embedded a video of the maiden flight below for your amusement! I admit I HIGHLY edited it trying to make it small enough to send via e-mail to my buddy. The essence is there anyway!! I used a key chain camera attached to the bill of my hat for this video. You can hear my friend Nick in the background as he was attempting to video the flight with his new camera at the same time. My keychain camera video was the one I had readily available for this posting so it is the one you should see below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_W24l9AuQ0

Hillbille

Last edited by hillbille; 05-07-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added video I hope.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Okay I'll try to post the second flight video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DLZV86-TI

We'll see if that one works!! LOL!!

Hillbille

Last edited by hillbille; 04-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Well I seem to be much better at posting pictures than video!! LOL!! Like I said before I think the recommended power set for this model would be quite adequate but I chose a much larger set of motors. I have included a picture of my motor setup installed WITH the nacelle on the wing panel. As can be seen in the picture I do not think a larger motor could be used and still get it inside the nacelles.

This entire kit (ARF) is quite impressive. If it isn't wood it's fiberglass!! The fit of the nacells are quite bad - but for a 50-50 plane they are close enough. (That's a plane 50 feet away going 50 mph!!)

There is room for every piece and it all fits! I was suprised that the wing panels had provisions for all the wiring - as most "converted" planes do not. By that what I mean is that most "EP" planes of size today from the Chinese market are simply glow versions with a hastily constructed and poorly glued ply motor box/mount thrown into the box. Not so with this plane. It is a total redesign of the original glow version from the start. Built lighter and well thought out. Reminds me of E-Flite kits (the BAE Hawk for one as it is a fiber fuse and well built!).

You can see from the other picture I have posted that when ready to join the wing panels have a good deal of silicone spaghetti protruding from them!

I went with 9" extensions for the power connectors. My Turnigy 3536 1300kv motors bench tested with a APC 9X6E and a Rhino 2350 3S1P came out to 34 amps each at WOT settling down to 30 pretty quickly. The Plush ESC's I chose are notoriously underrated in the listed stats and can sustain the 30+ amp load well. (My bench test went over one minute and there was no discernible heat generated at the ESC.)

I did not need ant extensions for the receiver plugs from the ESC's as the Plush comes with a pretty long one to start and as it turned out the wire was long enough to exit the access hole and allow the "Y" to plug in without need for any extensions. I did however use extensions for the HXT900's in the aileron bays as that was just too far for the servo plugs. Actuall I did not use extensions per se' but used a 18" "Y" lead and just zip tied the plugs together to allow me to tug them through the openings in all those ribs in the wing panels!! LOL!!

I use two of everything in this plane!!

Two Turnigy 3536 1300kv motors
Two Turnigy Plush ESC's
Two Rhino 2350 3S1P 20C lipos
Two HXT900 servos for the ailerons
Two Hitec HS-225 servos - rudder and elevator

Hillbille
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_Wings00004.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	125604   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-160_Wings00006.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	125605  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

I almost forgot the best part. This "kit" was $154 shipped!! The motors, ESC;s, and extra wiring ran about $100 and i already had the servos and batteries. The batteries are the same ones I use on my AP Magpie and I have had them for over two years!!

Here is the link to the Nitroplanes.com ad:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/c-160-rc-plane.html

Hillbille

Last edited by hillbille; 04-16-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Roddraym

By chance, are you still flying your C-160? If so, have you made any mods to the aircraft since your maiden voyage?
Thanks,