ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Aerobird Xtreme Build

Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
maiochine

Originally Posted by CreativeRC View Post
Hi Maoichine,

Yes that was a very nice flight and show of your airstrip. Beautiful location with all the gliders and the lake. Do you mind if I ask where this is ?

Yes, I don't blame you for not wishing to move the motor, I would likely feel the same way if I managed to get it in and working well. But with that motor you seem to have lots of power with your setup.

I was quite happy and encouraged to see you could fly well with a 185 cm wing, I measured mine and it is only 4 cm longer at 189 cm so it is essentially the same. I look forward to trying it out as well once I expoxy in that extra carbon rod. I will try to film it and post it the way you did.

This morning I took mine out and taped my 5 oz phone under it to video over an area where I lost a plane last year. I was being barked at by a big St. Bernard and after a while I lost concetration on a Parkzone Corsair I was flying and it disappeared out of the sky.....could be quite far away. I don't really think I will ever find it again. However, with the phone taped to the bottom the rocking effect of the wing was much worse. It seems like the more weight you add that is low in the fuslage the more rocking effect experienced. As soon as I removed the phone, the rocking effect was milder.

Did you notice with the longer wing whether the flight was more stable, less of the rocking ? The is the impression I got from the video.

Hope you have a good day,

CreativeRC

Hi CreativRC, if you want you can call me Mario

I am glad to hear your feedback ! I am flying in ACAO my glider flight school where I graduated 2 years ago as a GPL pilot, and it's in Varese north of Italy.

I know how it feels when you fly and you have dogs around or even small kids waiting to jump on the aircraft as soon as you are on final, I happened to have that horrible experience 2 weeks ago and it made me nervous too.

As for the performance, I can tell you that I ordered already 2 brand new wings to make a brand new 185 Mario wing I have a better technique now to make the wing top look like a glider one I mean clean clean clean that you can ice skate on it because the first one I made was a bits of a broken one and a big piece of a new one, I was nervous and I didn't do I perfect job.

I assure you that with the weight I have now witch is 1500 grams with the new wing and in windy conditions too the rocky effect has GONE GONE GONE, and you can notice it from the video, try to take a look at this video instead :
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlXzgV_si88&feature=g-upl[/media]

at 2:30'' you notice with engine out and a little bit of wind how it rocks and there are other videos in my channel that you can see that more amplified !

If you watch my landing with the 185 I had crosswinds coming from my right side during landing and the wing was pretty much leveled !

The material I used for the landing gear structure is a bit too flexible and you can notice it leans to the right when its on the ground, so I am thinking of making a reinforcement today and than I will post some pictures here again.

I am really excited to see yours finally flying too ! I will monitor the forum and hope to see the video soon.

Cheers

Mario
Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 AM
CreativeRC

Default Private message

Hi Mario,

I sent you a private message.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
CreativeRC

Default Ailerons to the Aerobird ABX Xtreme

Hi Again,

Here is a new modification to the 140 cm (55 inch) wing. I added allerons with 3.2 mm (1/8 inch thick) x 38mm wide x 367 long balsawood covered with momokote. They are hinged with sticky clear hockey tape for 300 mm only. The last 67 mm is not hinged due to curve of the wing, but that is not a problem. I wanted to get the most length I could. I chose to add paddle type ailerons for now to see how it will perform with ailerons. Later will consider cutting the ailerons in the wing.

The ailerons were set at flaperons in the transmitter, so they will both act as ailerons and flaps. The V-tail is set for elevator function only. There is no roll effect in the V-tail like in the stock set-up. I had to use Aux 1 for the second aileron servo and Aux 2 for the second V-tail servo.

It added about 7 oz to the plane, like adding another battery, so it made it heavier and made the plane drop faster in an unpowered glide, but still glides pretty good.

However, this setup really changed the way the plane flies, much better, turns are easier to do and look much more normal, the plane does not wobble as much in the air, no more catching a wingtip on takeoff when the wind pushes it. No problems maintaining a clean loop and even doing a roll (on the third D/R aileron setting). Flies much more like a normal plane now, will keep it that way and one day cut the alierons into the wing.

The flaps work ok, but do make the plane drop much faster in a glide. There is less aileron control with flaperons, so I set the ailerons on the third Dual/Rate setting. I will usually set the flap function after I have chosen the approach direction so I don't have to use the aileron function very much. My DX8 radio has three settings (0,1,2), so for landing with flap function, I use 2, then turn off flaps just before landing for a nice smooth landing.

Now on to my next upgrade with the second wing, the modified 189 cm wing. My glue has arrived so I can glue in the extra carbon rod.

Hope you like the photos.

CreativeRC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00322.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	159975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00328.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	159976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00329.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	159977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00325.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	159978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00326.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	159979  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120514-00327.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	159980  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM
maiochine

Hi Creative !

Really nice job you did there ! I was about to start making the flaperons too but I was not so convinced because I need this plane to glide as much as it can having to using it as an FPV airplane, so I need as less power consumption as I can.

Today I might be doing some new flight tests and this time I will take outside videos with better resolution. I have tried to test my Futaba T6J's range and so far I reached 800 meters without any problem.

I am waiting for your wing and would like to see how it performs too.

Nice job.

Maio
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM
CreativeRC

Default A couple more things.

Just a couple more things. The aileron needs to be set horizontal, parrallel to the boom otherwise it starts to act like a flap causing drag. The servos are stuck to the wing with super strong double sided tape. I used the hole in the side of the fuslage to run the wires in to the receiver.

I will try the big wing without ailerons at first to see how it flies. But I have a feeling I will want to add the ailerons to that one too. I am a little concerned about cutting the wing to add ailerons. I am thinking that if I do that, I will need to epoxy a strip of very thin plywood where the foam of the wing has been exposed to keep the wing strong. The foam inside the wing does not look strong by itself. The untouched wing is strong, in part, because of the plastic flim that covers it.

I wonder if Scorpio would send a couple of wings to Canada so that I can experiment further.

CreativeRC
Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
maiochine

Hey Creative !
Yesterday I tried to go flying on the airfield but it was crowded with gliders because of the competition going on this week , so it was a NO JOY for me
Today I went to the RC shop next to my house in Milan, and I ordered 4 wings (they deal directly with scorpio) and the vendor told me he's gonna ask Scorpio whether they ship to Canada and I will let you know due next Wednesday .

I still want to see your video thought :P

Take care matey

Maio
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
CreativeRC

Default Aeorbird Super Xtreme

Hi Maiochine,

Finally, here is the video of the modified Aerobird Xtreme with the 189 cm (74.5 inch) wing. I have not yet installed ailerons. Sorry about the quality of video, but the only camera I had was an old one. Nevertheless its is a start. It flies rather well, more steady than the orginal wing and glides well and drops slowly. I was flying around at less than half power with the .10 Super Tigre motor. It is not difficult to control, but after trying it, I will still install alierons as the control is much better. At the moment it noses in a bit on landings, so will try to work on the landings. I think it is the extra weight of the wing that makes it pitch forward in the grass.

With regard to the 55 inch wing on which I installed ailerons I have been experimenting with the DX8 radio. In additon to the normal aileron and elevator function, I programed in the normal function of the tail for when there are no ailerons. I can turn it on or off with a switch. When I use it with the ailerons, the plane will roll very easily as both the ailerons and the tail are making the plane roll. That was very interesting to see. I will try to film this with another camera and post this too when I have the other camera with a better zoom working.

We have having a great weekend for flying, especially early morning. It is a holiday weekend here, so have had three great mornings for flying and loving every moment.

Hope you enjoyed the video. Have a great day.

CreativeRC
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
CreativeRC

Default Video Aeorbird Super Xtreme

Looks like I cannot download the video so easily. Will try on You Tube under the heading Aerobird Super Xtreme.

CreativeRC
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
maiochine

Hey Creative ! I searched on youtube but I still didn't find anything can you send me the link please?

Many thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
CreativeRC

Default Trying Again

Look under Super Aerobird Xtreme. I am downloading it a second time because the automatic edit to fix the shaking camera did not make it better, as you will see. The second download is under Super Aerobird Xtreme Original Version.

CreativeRC
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
maiochine

Hey Creative ! Really nice the plane flies perfect ! it seems like you said that it tends to drop nose when engines out, I think you should check the CG, I did like you told me I balanced it with CG at 56 mm from the edge using a CG machine and the glide is really good ! the wide wingspan makes it much better thought .

I would like to go back to my airfield and do a descent video and start placing the FPV stuff on it finally so I have a full immersion flight on it.

Nicely done Creative and I am looking forward to see other footage maybe on board :P

Cheers
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 AM
CreativeRC

Default More Modifications to Aerobird Xtreme

Yes, have been making more changes to my plane.

Had a couple of accidents and now repairing both wings (140cm and 189cm). I was watching another plane crash into a tree and ended up crashing mine into a blueberry field due to being distracted. The damage was only with the wing, it is a tough plane.

The ailerons on the 140 cm wing works very well, much better than with just tail control, so will keep it that way.

I have installed a new V-tail, the black corrogated plastic one that is advertized on U-tube. Flies rather well along with the ailerons. One day, I will convert it to a normal horizontal stablizer and vertical stabilizer.

The 189 cm wing will get 38 cm long x 38mm wide ailerons and 25 cm long x 38 mm wide flaps.

I changed the front end counter weight boom to two bent 6.4 mm aluminum rods with AA batteries taped to it. It is really a single rod that was bent to make two rods. This is taped to the plane with clear sticky hockey tape. It is bent up with the end bend more, a curve for a skid which prevents the plane from tipping over on some grass landings. It also saved the plane when it crashed by absorbing the energy of the crash. It works well as to keep center of gravity at the correct location.

I also changed the propellor to a three blade from the Parkzone BF109 and the propellor adapter from the first Parkzone Corsair (4mm motor shaft). I clipped off the ends off each blade to make it a 9 inch diameter. This should give it more push. Will try it tomorrow.

See the four photos.

CreativeRC

Name:	IMG-20120609-00390.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	160573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120609-00393.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	160574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120609-00391.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	160575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120506-00317.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	160576  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM
maiochine

Nice job CreativeRC ! Unfortunately I am moving in a new apartment so I have zero chance to work on mine and I am leaving for a 2 month job offshore this Friday so all my plans will move to September and for sure it will be time for fpv stuff.

I bought 4 brand new wings from Scorpion and have them ready to be modified as soon as I have time.

By the way how did you treat the back of the wing where the carbon rod is ? I am thinking in gluing a balsa piece of wood and than grind it so it is nice and smooth like all the rest of the wing.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 AM
CreativeRC

Hi again,

The three blade propellor proved to be too much for the motor, too much load and burned out at full throttle in a climb. Got a new motor, same one, so will stay with a two blade propellor.

I added glued two 3mm rods to the main rod of the 189 mm wing for additional stifflness. Also, just under the leading edge I added fiber reinforced tape and a strip of carbon fibre tape as the wing will crack there under hard loops. Not planning any more hard loops, but added the strength there anyway, just in case. Also added 457mm x 50mm ailerons to this wing. Will fly it for the first time with the ailerons this weekend.

I did not add anything to the top to make the wing smooth, just 38mm wide tape.

Will send photos when it is ready for flight.

Have a great day

Do you think Scorpion would ship wings to Canada ?

Creative RC
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM
CreativeRC

Default Photos of modified Aerobird Xtreme wing with Ailerons

Here are the photos of the modified 189 cm wing with ailerons. Was too windy to try today, but will later this week.

Creative RC

Name:	IMG-20120708-00441.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	161207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00445.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	161208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00446.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	161209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00447.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	161210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120708-00450.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	161211  

Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
CreativeRC

Default Aerobird Xtreme with modified wing

The modified Aerobird Xtreme with the modified 189 cm wing with ailerons weighed in at 1520 grams, with battery. I managed a flight duration of 29.5 minutes with a 3 cell 2,200 mah battery.

I also managed to roll and loop it, although the roll was not perfect. The plane would loose height each time I attemped to roll it.

CreativeRC
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
CreativeRC

Default Nursed the Battery, Modified Aerobird Xtreme

Yes, had to nurse the battery to achieve a 29.5 minute flight. That meant climbing as high as possible for two mintes, then letting it glide down ever so carefully, then repeating the climb four times in total before the battery ran out of power.

Creative RC
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25 PM
EGEaton456

Lightbulb Parts for sale

I own an Aerobird and am looking for spare parts which proved much more difficult than i thought with the discontinuing of its production i am in need of a main wing and back tail ? pm me>
Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 PM
CreativeRC

Originally Posted by EGEaton456 View Post
I own an Aerobird and am looking for spare parts which proved much more difficult than i thought with the discontinuing of its production i am in need of a main wing and back tail ? pm me>
Yes, these are very hard to find. I found the last one in stock online a few years back and have just cut it in half to make a swept back wing as my modifications to brushless and lipo batteries left it tail heavy. I am also looking at the possibility of making it both swept back and anhedral to resolve the rocking tendency of this plane. A few years ago Maiochine in the posts above said he could get them in Italy, but if that is still possible would be very expensive. Suggest you post in the classified adds in both this website and in RCGROUPS.com and see what comes up. A local hobby shop or individual may answer you.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:28 PM
CreativeRC

The closest I could locate a wing and tail stabilizers is in New Zealand at a place called Hot RC. Shipping will likely be very high.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Did you ever find the parts to get the Aerobird back in the air?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:45 PM
CreativeRC

Default Success at Last: Anhedral Wings for Aerobird Xtreme

Flew it today and these modifications were a complete success. After all these years the long extinct Areobird Xtreme finally earned its name. The 12 degree sweep on each wing was to allow this electronically modified plane to balance without adding weight. That alone worked but did not resolve the awful flying characteristics of this plane.

Anhedral, 9 degrees on each wing is what was need all along and it looks like an Ox but flies now flies like a bird. All the flying problems, such as rocking hard back to neutral, with pendulum effect that gave it unwanted turns, dips and dragging its tail, disappeared. It held its turn, tracked nicely and when the stick was released it gradually returns to level. It was a beauty to behold. What was the worst plane I have flown became a good three channel park flyer. I could barely believe what I was seeing. I will glue in specially cut plywood spars to make the modification permanent.

Flying it with a Thunder Tigre .10 motor mounted outside the fuselage bringing the prop further back, 30 Amp e-flite ESC, and using 1500 and 2200 mah Batteries. No issues with CG.

The plane was so proud that it glowed yellow in the snow and told me to go out and buy a new plane as a reward........ A Multiplex Funray is on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image 5.jpg (857.1 KB, 99 views)
image1.jpg (1.72 MB, 102 views)
image 2.jpg (1.68 MB, 105 views)
Anhedral 6.jpg (1.24 MB, 105 views)
Anhedral 7.JPG (1.61 MB, 107 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM
stonybongwater

Default aerobird extreme

can i buy an aerobird extreme complete rtf from you
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I was surprised to see there are a lot of Aerobird parts and accesories available on ebay. I don't see any complete Xtreame packages.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...obird&_sacat=0

I do see a complete Challenger available that appears to be in good condition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HBZ3500-AER...oAAOSwqu1apFu3
Old 12-13-2018, 02:38 PM
CreativeRC

Originally Posted by stonybongwater View Post
can i buy an aerobird extreme complete rtf from you
This plane is no longer available as it was discontinued years ago. In its original stock condition it was not a very good plane in flight. It has interesting design features that needed to be corrected. Mine is only flying well because I sorted out its problems with the of modifications I made over the years. I keep mine as each year I come up with something different to try out with it. It is now pretty much relegated as a winter plane.

Interestingly, sometimes certain parts are available somewhere, but those are getting rarer.