WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Maxford Nieuport 28 ARF

Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM
export!

Default snap!

Thanks for the confirmation. I may be able to get some video but it really is kind of scary when it happens.

The plane torques violently and the prop+prop adapter is really stressed.

Scott
Old 04-10-2010, 04:05 PM
aramsdell

Cool

Yeah it is some wierd and violent outside snap into an inverted spin. Reduce throws or add tons of expo.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 AM
cwolfe

I know this is an old thread, but I just ordered this model. Can't wait to do some custom work on it. Great work here!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 AM
aramsdell

You'll love it. Mine bit the dust at the NEAT Fair in NY this last Sept. I flew it during the mass warbird launch on Friday. 50 or so warbirds all up at one time. I got cut in half by a fast moving something that I think also made it to the ground in pieces. I have a pair of Williams Bros. wheels with no home now.

If you have enough rough landings then you will be looking for some wheels. I think they are the 2.5 " Williams' Bros. Heavier but so much nicer than the plastic that comes with the arf.
Al
Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 AM
cwolfe

I'm wondering how it flies?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 AM
cwolfe

Can't wait to work on this model
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 AM
cwolfe

Hope to get the CG right.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 AM
aramsdell

I found the plane to be fairly forgiving. The wings can eventually warp a little with changes in moisture etc. but it still flew well even then. After 2 years I really had no idea what the wing incidences were supposed to be. I just made everything look symetrical and had washout on the upper wing.
Use low rates on rudder except to taxi. It is EXTREMELY sensitive to large rudder deflection. Take it WAY up high and give it full rudder and you will see what I mean. Be prepared. You will probably be in an inverted spin.....
Balanced properly it will cruise slowly past you and looks so nice.

I programmed in some elevator to throttle compensation. A little down elev.as the throttle advanced. Trimmed to fly level at lower throttle settings.

Great luck !
Al
Old 11-11-2011, 02:16 AM
cwolfe

Thanks Al. Really looking forward to it. I love WWI warbirds. I'm pretty new to RC. I have been mostly doing elec. coversions on Guillows and Dumas kits with some success. My 20" J-3 conversion turned out well. She's flies great on 3ch, but I have to wait for dead calm to get her out. My first plane was a PZ Micro Corsair. Yeah, 30 secs Smash, but eventually did get some time on it before the final smash. It's guts are in the 20" J-3. I recently bought a 28" EPO J-3 from HobbyKing and have been learning on it. A nose rebuild later and I'm getting the hang of it. I also have a 24" Guillows Cessna build going on and a 24" Guillows laser cut Thomas Morse on the shelf. I plan to take my time on the Nieuport 28 and get some more experience before she gets the maiden. Thanks again, Curtis
Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Kmot

Hi Curtis,

You are aware, I presume, that the subject model of this thread has been superceded and the small N28 that Maxford now sells is an entirely new and different model?

If in fact you have the all creme colored, older version than what has been posted in this thread should be helpful to you. I only flew mine on one day, actually. I posted about the maiden in this thread somewhere. As I recall it flew well enough but I needed to make some adjustments to the CG and control throws. I have never flown it again, it just hangs from the ceiling of my shop, looking good like a static scale model.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:59 PM
cwolfe

The one I ordered is the discontinued 33" model. Which I believe is the one you have here.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM
recovered

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Got a bud who has one.

MAKE 100% sure it's CG is nose heavy for first flight!!!

You must use rudder and ailerons for turns, to keep the nose from dropping.

Has a nasty snap to it if you let it slow down too much.

And like most you need to fly it all the way to the ground, too slow and it tends to nose over.
You are so right! Had a Nieuport 28 that crashed after nose weight fell off! I had 5 perfect flights before that. I'm going to use lead shot in the cowl so I don't have that problem on next plane! Also going to epoxy lead weights inside engine box close to the firewall.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by recovered View Post
You are so right! Had a Nieuport 28 that crashed after nose weight fell off! I had 5 perfect flights before that. I'm going to use lead shot in the cowl so I don't have that problem on next plane! Also going to epoxy lead weights inside engine box close to the firewall.
Its a really old thread ... but no worries ...

Here's my N28 from the 1980's ... I placed 8th in Southern England Scale with her .... from the OK Models, Pilot Model Co kit ...

Merco 60 Glow motor, JR Propo radio ...

An absolute pig on the ground !! But that's due to the very short nose to wheel distance and long tail arm on her. Ground looping and tip dragging was everytime ! Except the day of competition !!

I have the plans for her ... one day I might build another ... 'sucker for punishment !' ....

But a beautiful looking model ... flies superb ... but oh that ground handling !!

Nigel