Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

New kind of annoying pop up ads

Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
tr4252

Default New kind of annoying pop up ads

Recently, within the last month or so, I've noticed a type of ad which appears in the text of some posts. It is in the upper right hand corner of the text area, and goes on and off every few seconds. I think it is showing different ads in succession, not sure.

What is so irritating is that it displaces a square area of text approximately 10 lines height, lasts a few seconds, and when it goes "off" the text rearranges to fill the gap. Then another one takes its place and the text shifts again. It goes on and off with such frequency that it's difficult to read the content of the post.

I hope I can turn this off somehow, as it makes reading the posts so annoying I frequently just give up and don't bother.

Tom
Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sounds like Malware has invaded your machine.

Suggest you download Malwarebytes and run it .... then adaware to remove any ...

I have a number of machines running these sites and none have pop-up like you mention.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Henry Sistrunk

I don't have them either
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

I don't see them either.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I've noticed similar on many first posts of a new thread when just browsing. Doesn't show-up when logged on...........it's a banner add Wattflyer (RCU) supports.........it's not malware and it cannot be removed on our end.....I've mentioned it awhile back to a couple of mod's here........to no avail..........
Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 AM
fishycomics

in control panel, programs and files see what you Downloaded that started it? you can uninstall the program if found

adsense

Don't search stuff you don't want popping up
Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
in control panel, programs and files see what you Downloaded that started it? you can uninstall the program if found

adsense

Don't search stuff you don't want popping up
Wish it was that easy.........it's related to the "cookies" stored on the PC when loading the web-site.........one can change the security settings to screen such, but the chance one takes with that will either cause the page load to bog down or continue to ask if you'd like XYZ cookies to be accepted.........I've gone through this with other sites "banner" adds........and have determined it's a product of the web-sites operation. Even if one is able to click the sites "remove adds", depending on what browser and OS one is using, it may or may not work........On my XP system, they never showed up at all, however, with Win 7, it's hit or miss, regardless whether I use Firefox, Google, Chrome, Yahoo or Bing.......lol
Old 08-21-2015, 02:35 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Firefox with AdBlock plus plug in. I pretty much see no ads.

You do need to instal the addon though. I hadn't done it on my other (gaming) machine, and browsing almost gave me a seizure. It really makes a huge difference.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Guys ... he says 'It is in the upper right hand corner of the text area' .... the banner ads are ABOVE the text area .. so not same game at all.

These are additional pop-ups to the banner ads that basically pay for the site.

Malware and Adware typically invade 'USER' space .. not the site page ..... so it comes up in the text area.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 AM
fishycomics

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Wish it was that easy.........it's related to the "cookies" stored on the PC when loading the web-site.........one can change the security settings to screen such, but the chance one takes with that will either cause the page load to bog down or continue to ask if you'd like XYZ cookies to be accepted.........I've gone through this with other sites "banner" adds........and have determined it's a product of the web-sites operation. Even if one is able to click the sites "remove adds", depending on what browser and OS one is using, it may or may not work........On my XP system, they never showed up at all, however, with Win 7, it's hit or miss, regardless whether I use Firefox, Google, Chrome, Yahoo or Bing.......lol
It I that easy it is.

like 7-up nigal you never did it or tried it.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM
fishycomics

go to a site like screencastomatic.com, its a screen recorder. record what you see so some can get an idea. good luck recovering may help but not get stuff off your DLL regristry. what software does a user can manually do it as well, just takes time.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

It I that easy it is.

like 7-up nigal you never did it or tried it.
?? I cannot understand what you are trying to say ....................

Nigel
Old 08-21-2015, 11:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

go to a site like screencastomatic.com, its a screen recorder. record what you see so some can get an idea. good luck recovering may help but not get stuff off your DLL regristry. what software does a user can manually do it as well, just takes time.
Malwarebytes ... adaware ... are complimentary programs ... run Malwarebytes first ... then run adaware .................. they clean up bad DDL ... Registry files ... 'hooks' into cookies etc.

Spybot and CCleaner are fine for general daily stuff ... but deep rooted hardcore stuff needs the above programs to get at them.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM
fishycomics

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
?? I cannot understand what you are trying to say ....................

Nigel
Nigel called an opinion don't try to decider each post a person makes. Sometimes being to helpful is a turn off. You me and all others are not pro's.

Mobile forum is a total waste. You want to see ads view it
Old 08-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Sent another contact email to IB, hopefully they will take a look at the site and get us updated.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:20 PM
tr4252

Thank you, everyone.

Tom
Old 08-08-2016, 07:06 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Sent another contact email to IB, hopefully they will take a look at the site and get us updated.
I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Now, I'm getting ad pop up's in the middle of the wattflyer postings. Those ads are sponsored by google.

Paininthe***.

And, when I posted this email, a pop up from Lund Fishing Boads popped up.

My PC is running Norton security, and Malwarebytes protection. Plus, popups are blocked in my internet settings.
Popups are not wanted in my computer. Several years ago, a "Popup" by Norton appeared on my PC screen. Found out, someone had created that counterfeit Norton popup, and planted a ransomware virus in my computer. Clicking anywhere on that popup bypassed all Norton security, and allowed that ransomware virus to enter my PC. My computer was completely shut down, and was un-useable. I had to reformat the hard drive and start over. Just lucky, I'd just backed up everything to a USB external hard drive several weeks before that happened.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK guys and dolls.

Win 10 is not really the problem as I have been plagued as some know. I have been checking with very good IT guys I have work and actually fly with.

Dump MS Edge is confirmed by them all - until its accepted and codes written to be compatible in Ad blockers. As they say - Edge has no blockers fully suitable yet.
As I posted earlier about my bank online troubles - they said basically same about lack of coding for Edge.

I now reactivated Ad fender - using Chrome on the PC and voila - no ads !

I was also warned not to use IE with Win10 for similar reason as some code share goes on with Edge because of Cortana and other aspects of Win10.

I was told that Firefox is possibly best with Win10 at present.

Nigel