Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Quantitive methods for designing aircraft to operate in a certain flight envolope?

Old 03-05-2015, 10:43 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Default Quantitive methods for designing aircraft to operate in a certain flight envolope?

Is there a method, or book on a method for how to go from constraints into an exterior design for an aircraft? Where are you supposed to start? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Sources... I can't direct you. I pulled all of my designing formulae and info from books and magazines that are LONG out of print.

Performance envelope is determined by
Power : Weight,
drag coefficient,
wing loading,
and several other factors, but these are the biggest for our models.

Correct prop selection will determine efficiency of the power and thus give better results. You don't want to use a pylon racer prop for 3D for example.

Different airfoils are better for different purposes. A thin symmetrical airfoil will have low drag which is good for speed but poor for low speed aerobatics.

You can mostly go by looks of something intended for the same style of flight and make primarily cosmetic changes. There is most likely something out there already that looks pretty close to what you want. That moves it to designing the structure and power system to get the desired result.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by theapplepi3.14 View Post
Is there a method, or book on a method for how to go from constraints into an exterior design for an aircraft? Where are you supposed to start? Thanks.
I'm sure the NASA, Boeing, Airbus, Beechcraft, Cessna and Dassault technical web sites have information on this application......