General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

These times, they're a changing- My next venture

Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Fish ! Awesome vids.

What would I need to set up a plane ?

What goggles are you using? $$$ ? 2 vid cams? One for fpv and the other for recording video ?

I could see starting on planes then getting a quad later. Could get started faster. Have a couple park flyer warbirds in mind. T-28, RocHobby Voodoo and FL Spitfire.

Hawk
Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

for flights that are close buy and in the open
I like this combo
http://rctimer.com/product-1318.html
for anything else I like immmersion
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-transmitters.html

for gogles i use the head play because I wear glasses but they are hard to keep in stock. If you want them and you see them in stock better snatch it up because they dont stay long.

http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fp...-receiver.html

or for the frugal spender you can go with this set. I own them and they do a good job for the price, bt they bother my nose
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
and of course if you do not wear glasses or dont need them
you can not beat fat shark dominators
http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-domin...v-goggles.html

cameras
im partial to these
http://www.surveilzone.com/sony-supe...osd-fpv-hs1171

Hope some of this helps. Know this FPV is crack for RC fanatics once you get a taste its hard to put it down
Old 08-12-2016, 03:02 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

lots to choose from....... The quads are a matter of what you can afford or afford to loose. In the woods along our club field are approximately 4 lost vortex quads[along with others]. Pilots simply lost video and couldn't regain control at the very fast speed they fly. they are fast!! the robocats have varying reviews do to the plastic covers being cheap and easily broken. also every distributor make the same design to compete with each other some maybe better than others.

What I need is a 180mm to 200mm quad assembled for speed and 4cell. It's the only way I can hope to compete with vortex or the really fast quads at the club.

Speaking of goggles ,the gang at the field seem to have money to burn....they upgrade with every new fatshark. one guy says the dominators hd2's are not good viewing. The thing I miss out on using Fatshark Attitudes is the built in dvr the Dominators have. the FS Dominators are discontinuing the HD'2 and are going to make a new SE model that goes for $330 . That may be my next pair. Best to wait and see what the first users say.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Pay close attention to camera voltage outputs and channel frequency selection. Cables are not always included and headset compatibility varies in not only vid quality, on screen display, output frequency and comfort.

Immersion is quality even in the low-end $$$ spectrum......paired with Fat Shark, if cared for properly, will last one longer and easily transferrable to a more advanced craft........Yes, the initial investment for such is steep, but once one gets past the ground bouncing stage, you'll be glad you started with quality........just like planks.

Learning FPV orientation on a midsized fixed wing sport craft will not challenge the optic sense of 270* to 360* peripheral needed on quads (it helps with anticipation).......also momentary pause (micro-sec hold and reverse/bank) adjustments are not associated with fixed wing flight, as the plane cannot be stopped in it's tracks or reverse it's forward motion.......all of which required for quad FPV flight at speed.

On the other hand, a fixed wing (in the hands of an experienced pilot) would be a good starting point to familiarize one's self to the set-up, programming and camera orientation aspect of FPV........prior to slapping a system together on a quad and have to worry about a dozen additional refinements.......
Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

With fixed wings it sometimes depends on what you wish to do as well. Here is my long range setup with a dragonlink and FPV setup on a bixler 3

Old 08-12-2016, 04:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks guys,

Fish- I bookmarked all the links. Great stuff !

Stu- Funny about the lost Vortex 's. That would probably be me amongst them, I'm afraid. Maybe install a tile wafer or send up a DJI on a search and rescue mission. A guy at our filed lost his GoPro in the woods the other day- Eek !

Pizzano- I really like going with the plane idea as a starting point
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Saw FMS was selling a BNF version: http://www.fmsmodel.com/s250-pro-bnf-fpv-quad

For $150.00
Old 08-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

That does look cool and a good price point however yo u may want to go with a carbon fiber frame. You will do a lot of bashing while learning to fly it and airgates etc You are going to break arms and props nature of the beast :-)

Last edited by Fishbonez; 08-12-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:32 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Take a look at this.....:

http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-p...-fpv-quad.html

And this.......:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2672262

While it's certainly an affordable starter and DMSX compatible, looks a little fragile and (stock) replacement parts are getting hard to find....!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Hawk, yes we now have the gotta have it crowd, no time to build and why would they when they can pick up an RTF and be out flying in the time it takes to charge the pack.

But don't think scratch building is dead, I think what is happening more now is folks are working with different materials, other then balsa and tissue. Foam is the big daddy now. Take a look over on RCG at the airliners section. Some of the stuff these guys are scratch building are masterpieces.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I was in Frankfurt airport waiting connection to West Africa ...... there was a trade stand where everyone goes through immigration ..... selling Steadycams and large full function sport / industrial multi-rotor drones. The drones were full FPV jobs for following skiers, boats, doing aerial surveys, sports events, even indoor conferences etc. The sales girl even mentioned modifications available for military applications.

I watched people pick up the control box .... 2x the size we use .... and with computer screen / simulator fly that baby literally perfectly even though they had never flown anything before. You could see if the price had been more affordable - they would have sold hundreds of them.

Nigel
Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Just decided I need to put one of these little bugger together
for Days when its just to cold to be outside

Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

At the field yesterday and got to talking to one of our members who's a very accomplished 3D heli and drone pilot. Was showing me and explaining the workings of his 250 size racing drone. Dang, there's a lot of technology packed into these things.

Went through the pluses and minuses of the different types of viewing devices. He had two variants of the fat shark googles including the latest release of the dominator.

Then he showed me the Vision headset . Cost under $100.00 and says it works great. Doesn't have all the neat features of the expensive types like "head following" but to get started, he said I can't go wrong.

Won't need a lot of stuff to outfit a plane. Just a camera and antenna. I can see why slower flying gliders are the choice for many. So, I have to give that some more consideration.

Then he let me fly his quad. Had it set up in a couple of different modes. A lot easier to fly than I had thought. So maybe I'll first get a cheapie quad with a bushel basket of props then graduate to the Vortex.

Hawk
Old 08-15-2016, 09:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I am thinking about it I have to admit ... maybe its a matter of ..

If you can't beat em ... Join em !!

Nigel
Old 08-16-2016, 01:59 AM
road king 97
old hat

Dont know why but i have not interest in FPVs .bought my 13 year old son one and i flew it for 10 minutes before giving it back to him . lol Yea iam 62 this year and scrtatch build most of my planes rebuild motorcycles and other cars /trucks /jeeps/old cushman scooters. Maybe if iam ever bed ridden i might give one a try tho .lmao joe
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 AM
WyomingOutdoors

Building solid, reliable fpv planes and quadcopters is no different than the attention you give older balsa and schematics techniques. The technical expertise to select the correct components and then solder them together is only 1/2 of it. The other half is programming and tuning each machine. It is a deeply involved and technical hobby if you build them yourself. Try programming a Taranis Plus x9d radio for multimodes of flying on a quadcopter alone is extremely technical. It's not just about the flying.

The other aspect of it is the wonderful footage you can get with all the hd cameras.
I enjoy processing the footage and making dvd's for my friends and I.

Earlier this summer I purchased my first 3d printer. The learning curve on cad design and printing is HIGH! But the ability to print my own parts is rewarding.

I get out and enjoy flying with my friends most of all. FPV flying is NOT a stationary disconnect from the world. The views you can see are breath taking. Plenty of exercise has been had with his/her buddies after their plane/quad went down over a mile away. . . (cough ** Fish

oh . . . I do own a 2014 Harley Ultra limited which I put about 10,000 miles on a year (damn wyoming winters). I own a fishing boat and enjoy going to the mountain lakes. I also own an off road ATV which I love tearing up the mud and snow, and the occasional slow trail. I'm also into reloading ammunition so I can cheaply keep the prairiedog population undercontrol and keep elk/deer meat in my freezer. I just purchased a new 25ft RV to act as my FPV base (told the wife we were camping more). It has been great to take it up into the mountains with all my fpv and night planes and fly in that enviornment.

Hobbies are just that! Different for each individual. However in each aspect I enjoy it with my wife, family, and friends.

We live in an amazing time!

p.s. How do I have time for all those hobbies and work? I'm a school teacher and have my summers off.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:29 PM
WyomingOutdoors

Default Fred Provost take on AMA candidate USA

In response to Lawrence Tougas AMA Candidate Statement:

http://www.tougas4president.com/#!my...tatement/rbpxn

Hello Mr Tougas,

My name is the FPV community, and I see that you are running for the office of AMA president. I would like to inform you of a few things in case you were not aware. In your statement you say "Starting in 2014 a tidal wave of bad news stories crashed down on AMA members". I find this statement of fact disingenuous, untrue and insulting.

In 2014, I was already an accomplished FPV pilot with years of experience while the AMA was finally accepting the legitimacy of the FPV hobby. I attempted to join at least two local AMA clubs and was turned away, and not politely. Online forums had erupted with battles between FPV pilots and AMA members, each in the name of safety, and still seems to be so.

While out flying FPV, even on public land, I was harassed by AMA members and belittled for flying FPV. It was the AMA who was attacking this new genre not "bad news" stories in the media. Your "tidal wave" of bad news stories about a hobby you did not relate to and already were subjugating was furthering your agenda and still is. Every new negative story is another reason the government needs you and your monopoly on lobbying governance bodies.

Now mind you not all AMA members are against FPV pilots there are plenty of members whom are pro FPV and want the hobby to excel. But if you look at a decent majority of the mentality that has been brought up through the ranks of AMA you will see the battles between FPV pilots and the AMA members. Its time for that to change.

Article from 2014, in case you missed 2014
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the...elivery-drones

Your statement goes on to say that multirotors require little skill to fly and you are again showing your own ignorance on a subject you wish to govern and create national policy for. As a FPV pilot I'm embarrassed for the AMA right now. I value the rich and complex heritage of the AMA, it is where I came from, you bore me, and then you disowned me.

If you do not adopt me back, the whole community and represent it, then you will lose the majority of your membership. If the AMA does not elect someone in touch with the millennials and the new genres of this hobby then you will cease to be. For it is not the strongest to survive but the most willing to change. The AMA needs to move on from the dark ages and evolve or die.

Lawrence, I'm sorry, but you are the wrong guy for the job, maybe you can help find the right one and step aside.

Sincerely, the FPV community.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

He makes some valid points IMO. For much of his reasoning is why I posted in the first place. I'm 61 and often times feel like I'm one of the younger ones. Not against the geriatric crowd cause I'm almost there if not there already. Just concerned that were not bringing in enough new younger members behind us to make this hobby flourish.

Ultimate hope is that this newly spawned racing drone crowd will also want to adapt to other areas of the rc hobby once they see it. At least I'm open to this newer area of the hobby and want to learn more. Many of our club members are still anti- drone, anti-fpv but they also tend to be gasser guys who don't like electric flight in general.

Hawk
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM
WyomingOutdoors

Don't forget these line video filters. These are the best value and quality from readymaderc. They go between the battery and video transmitter and camera. If you don't use one you will get esc and motor noise while flying.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4081
Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 PM
WyomingOutdoors

I've spent $$ on expensive osd' however this tarot is the best for the money. It has GPS, way home indicator, speed, height, ... I have it on 3 models now. It's only $25. There's a trick to setting pal or NTSC on first use so there's no static. Youtube shows exactly how to do this.

http://www.fpvmodel.com/tarot-osd-im...00l-_g890.html

Next best I would say is the skylark tiny Osd iii - screen layout is better and uses imperial measurements. $108 sometimes find for $80

http://www.getfpv.com/skylark-tiny-o...lXnBoCxNHw_wcB

As far as camera I use the Hs1177 plastic bodied camera. Works great in all light conditions. I prefer the 3.6 lens (more narrow). Always make sure to buy 5v- 22v cameras as the video transmitters usually put out 5v.

http://www.surveilzone.com/DC5V-plas...m-lens-for-fpv

I always put power filters to get cleans signals. Filter goes from battery to video transmitter. Esc and motor make lots of interference without. I started buying from readymaderc. Best value/price.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=4081

I prefer the immersion 200 and 600mw video transmitters. More expensive but I get great range and reception.

Don't skimp on antennas. Purchase ibcrazy vas antennas. You'll eventually buy the, so do it right away and save lots of trial and error. I use the 5.8 pepperbox and 3 turn helix on Reciever. On the tx I use a ibcrazy vas airblade.

I should say that I use 5.8 video and have great results.

I use a basesstation with a fr632 diversity Reciever connected to fatshark dominator v2's. I have the headplay Hd's but like the fatshark a better.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=5357

I usually purchase from getfpv.com or readymaderc.com - always great service.

If you want cheapest transmitter and camera that works okay (paired with small 2cell 950mah). Rctimer.com has some combos for $26 that gets you in air quickly and are easy to attach to planes. I attached to a 125mph funfighter and lots of pnp models. Range is about 1mile which is as far as I want to walk. However they only work well in sunny weather. Cloudy or evenings are to dark for camera.

http://rctimer.com/product-1317.html

Range is really dependent on your radio control tx/rx. For close in 3/4 mile I use a spektrumdx8/dx9. However for best cost value long range unit the Taranis x9d plus $199 with a dtf lrs module $80 (rx $40) gets you farther than you'll ever need. I only use ibcrazy vas dipole antennas $14

http://www.helibatics.com/frsky-x9d-...-radio-system/

https://www.fpvheadquarters.com/radio/openlrs.html

Always keep good separation of video tx and radio control rx and GPS (Osd). Place as far apart on plane as possible.

I've flown fast-slow fpv aircraft (10+) Currently my favorite are gliders. We have to fly in a lot of wind in Wyoming.

This information is only my limited opinion after a year 1/2 in fpv.

Last edited by WyomingOutdoors; 08-18-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:54 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Wyoming,

Awesome info !

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 08-23-2016, 03:26 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Check out this coarse, exactly what i see setup at the club minus the trees of coarse.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9yrpJ3_Zz4

just hit the button to p/u a fast quad. Realacc 210, 2205 2300kv, 20amp esc's from Banggood on sale and with points earned from past purchases....$97.00

Will be using 4cell and flying it in manuel/acro mode only. using the Emmersion 600 and a sony 600tvl camera. I flew with a new member at the club field Sunday and his quad was very fast. Now at least i will be able to compete if we race. Racing isn't how fast,but how fast and finishing the race that counts.

Realacc X210 4mm Frame w/ F3 6 DOF Racerstar BR2205 2300KV Motor RS20A V2 Blheli_S 5X4X3 Prop
Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Check out this coarse, exactly what i see setup at the club minus the trees of coarse.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9yrpJ3_Zz4
Whoa I would need some arrows. I got disorientated just watching
I picked up a shuriken on a whim. Just looked like fun
https://newbeedrone.com/products/hol...dy-to-fly-quad
Old 08-23-2016, 06:56 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

You guys are killing me ! LOL

Came within a Nano second of buying a Vortex at the LHS the other day. But came to senses.

So many out there !

Been looking at the Spedix , the Hyperion Vengeance, Eachine, Realacc, and many more.

But am starting to figure out what I want to do. I want a little versatility. Kind of an tweener between a pure 250 racer and also having the ability to do some videography. No, not a DJI or Walkera Video drone. I do like the 250 size. Something where I can have fun and not get totally embarrased on an fpv racing course but also take out for a more relaxed Sunday drive. A little more flight time than the 3 minutes I see in the pure racers.

Is there a compromise out there?

Or should I just go and get both. Maybe a Bixler and equip it with an fpv rx, antenna and cam and then a real 250 racing drone.

Looking for more of the BMW M3 versus the Lambo Countach but at a Ford price- LOL

So, I would want an adjustable fpv cam, a nice low vibe platform for a Mobius. I want multiple flight modes. I want a good OSD so I can at least watch voltage. I want to use my own Spectrum DX-9. Have ability to use a 2200mah for extended flight times. Am I asking too much ?

Meanwhile , I await delivery of the 80mm Mig-21 and might even squeeze-in the new FMS Pilatus PC-21. Oh it hurts !

One of our club members, an AA pilot and expert heli and drone guy is teaching a FAR-107 prep course. Tuition is $250.00 for a 1 &1/2 days but I might get a break. It would be a nice thing t have if I ever decided to monetize this hobby. Might even be fun to learn something new.

I think I'll wait and see what Black Friday brings.

You guys see something irresistible, let me know.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 08-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Sounds like you want a bixler 3 with OSD and a mobious camera mount and a 250 size quad you wont need an OSD on the quad. Too much added unnecessary weight, Just add a votalage alarm and you will know when your battery is getting low. What ever you DO NOT I saY again DO NOT purchase the Hyperion Vengence. I bought it and it is still on the bench inoperable. The control boards are bad and it is nothing but junk. Hyperion makes good motor and ESc but a lousy quad. Unfortunaty in the world of quads and qud racing there are not any short cuts. For eample the suriken I purchased is not going to make a good racr like advertised. it may make a good practice quad however which is why I purchased it.

Quick Reply: These times, they're a changing- My next venture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14054 seconds with 15 queries