Seaplanes E-Powered Discuss electric powered seaplanes here

Show us your seaplanes

Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
**neons**

Great flying and very informative. It is designed well.
**Neons** Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

Default Float Fly videos

Here are four of my seaplanes.

Micro Polaris XXS
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPbl5FfUZdc[/media]

Giant Foamie Spruce Goose
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cad1IxpEJQo[/media]

Mallard Duck
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07O5_EpYudg[/media]

Mini Capricorn/Flying W
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yTb6-aNCPM[/media]
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 AM
**neons**

Otto,
I found ll your videos very informative. They are also extremly entertaining too. I like all the designs and I feel you are an asset to the model enthusiast. I like your novel Duck. For some reason I expected to see a Grumman Mallard or Duck. Fun surprise there. You are certainly enjoying yourself out there.
**Neons** Bob
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Otto,
I found ll your videos very informative. They are also extremly entertaining too. I like all the designs and I feel you are an asset to the model enthusiast. I like your novel Duck. For some reason I expected to see a Grumman Mallard or Duck. Fun surprise there. You are certainly enjoying yourself out there.
**Neons** Bob
Thanx Bob. I'm glad you enjoyed the surprise. I'll have to see if I can do it again. Best.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Fast Guy

I built this little Herr Engineering Piper J3 Cub (35") kit last winter and finally got it on floats. Great little plane that's a very smooth flyer. Removed most of the dihedral and added ailerons to the wings. Made a battery hatch in the bottom for easy access. The floats are scaled down from a set of Great Planes floats I have on another plane. The floats are foam core construction. I hollowed out the foam to save every gram. The plane with the battery and floats came in at 12.5oz. I used some MonoKote covering I had laying around which added a shocking amount of weight. Next time I won’t be so cheap and get some ultralite covering. Still, it fly’s nicely even in a little wind. Likes the rudder to turn though.
Wing span 35"
RimeFire 300-28-22-1380kv
ThunderBird 18a ESC
Hyperion CX 3s 850 25c battery
APC 7x4 prop
Futaba S3114 Micro High Torque Servos

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXDOIhc29wA[/media]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubbie 03.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	153651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubbie 04.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	153652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubbie 05.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	153653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubbie 06.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	153654  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
**neons**

Here is my latest video of the Emily flight on Columbus Day weekend. I had a near perfect flight. I had a broken servo for 1 flap so I flew it without the flaps. It had no problems in flight during this video. The 3rd flight was 2 minutes in and the plane suddenly spiraled in and caused a lot of damage. I will rebuild the plane again to get it flying again. I believe it could have been a hit on 72Mhz, a motor , or electronic failure. I have to try to find it in the coming days. Watch a complete video in YouTube here . See the end of the video for 2 splash in pics.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3TITWpkO0[/media])

or watch a better quality it full screen in Vimeo here:
[media]http://vimeo.com/30294606[/media]

**Neons** Bob
Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
road king 97
old hat

I am sorry to hear this Bob, she flew like a pattern plane and alot of power . I hope you rebuild her this winter and have her done by spring and ready for all the water funflys Bob . joe
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

Here is my latest video of the Emily flight on Columbus Day weekend. I had a near perfect flight. I had a broken servo for 1 flap so I flew it without the flaps. It had no problems in flight during this video. The 3rd flight was 2 minutes in and the plane suddenly spiraled in and caused a lot of damage. I will rebuild the plane again to get it flying again. I believe it could have been a hit on 72Mhz, a motor , or electronic failure. I have to try to find it in the coming days. Watch a complete video in YouTube here . See the end of the video for 2 splash in pics.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3TITWpkO0[/media])

or watch a better quality it full screen in Vimeo here:
[media]http://vimeo.com/30294606[/media]

**Neons** Bob
Beautiful plane on the water and in the air. Hope it is back together soon. Best.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
**neons**

Thanks Joe and Otto,
I look at building 4 engine planes as a learning experience. I am not an expert in 4 or more motors. The plane will be flying again soon. I just hope I can figure out what failed on the plane. I may also try another channel too. If I remember right, I had my Seamaster there last year and it got intermittant hits and crashed into the lake. I changed that channel this year and it flew nice a few days ago. If I have an electrical problem in the wiring layout it may be harder to duplicate. I have not checked anything over yet as I am too sick with a cold but am slowly feeling better. Maybe tommorrow I can start looking the plane over again. There was a couple of wiring gurus that came into my builld log and said my wiring may not support the motors without some changes like adding capacitors inline for each motor. They said the Esc's may fail 1 at a time. This is a strong possibility here. They say the longer the wires the more probability it will happen when least expected. It could be. I will check each Esc closely for working order and make changes if it needs them. I use only 1 Esc with the trigger wire for startup. Suppose that is the one that failed?

I can put the fuselage back together again and fair it all in too. I was thinking if worse comes to worse I will use the fuselage as a plug for a new epoxy glass fuselage and maybe save a few pounds. The weight really was not any problem. It flew very nice with the weight. I even had to be gentle on the controls. I have the controls cut way back. I use the rudder and aileron blended together in the turns and it responds very well. I do not need very much elevator either. She just taxiied at its own pace and lifted of almost by itself. I did not have to touch the trim at all too. I think the plane was spot on.
Bob

Last edited by **neons**; 10-11-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

The weight and handling looked great in the video. I'd just focus on any electrical issues and get it back in the air. We just had a brief cold spell here in San Diego and I'm nursing a cold too. Best.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 AM
**neons**

Here is how my repairs are going. I will do the wing after I get caught up on the fuselage repaint and markings. I have a laundry list of things missing or damaged to replace here and there. It is moving along well now and I hope to have it flying next week. Of course weather permitting. I will say foam is a blessing to work with. If this was balsa it would have been a memory right now. Pics are near the page bottom.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19604221
**Neons** Bob
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

Here is how my repairs are going. I will do the wing after I get caught up on the fuselage repaint and markings. I have a laundry list of things missing or damaged to replace here and there. It is moving along well now and I hope to have it flying next week. Of course weather permitting. I will say foam is a blessing to work with. If this was balsa it would have been a memory right now. Pics are near the page bottom.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19604221
**Neons** Bob
Loved the build thread.... let's get this puppy back up in the air !!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
road king 97
old hat

Bob you rebuild looks great and you are right about balsa taking longer to repair after a crash lets hope i dont find out how long it would take . If you are having these problems with your reciever getting hit, you might start thinking about switching over to a 2.4 transmitter and reciever. I would get hit at least 4 to 5 times a summer but now that i switched all my planes over to 2.4 this was the first year i have had not one issue with my radio. I thought running 4 brushed motors plus all the wires and 3 ft long servo extentions might have giving me some issues but so far it has run great. Looking foward to seeing your bird done and in the air again where she belongs neons. joe
Old 10-16-2011, 04:25 PM
**neons**

Otto
Thanks. It will be up for sure. Still have many things to do. It's those small things that slow me done. I never got to testt the flaps last week as I broke a servo handling the plane. I have metal gear servos coming. In the meantime flaps are locked.

Joe
Thank you too. I have my Hitec Eclipse radio with a 2.4Ghz module. I may set it in this plane this week. The problem is I do not have any info on how to range check it. I may try the cell phone trick with the person on the other end watching the controls while I put some distance between us.

I have the un posted video of my crash. It was level about 200 plus feet up and it quickly banked left and hit the water with power and with a loud boom and a 6-8 foot splash in.

I see you have your plane changed over to brushless now. I missed a report on it someplace if you posted it. Tell me more about it if you tried it. The motors, wiring, batteries, and flight tests etc.. How is the power with those props?

Bob
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM
rcrick10

Nice planes
Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM
rcrick10

Heres my handyman

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	154779  
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 AM
baco

This is a better video of my Dornier Do X. Today was very windy but I can fly this little model without (almost ) any problem.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 AM
**neons**

Default 6-21-2012 Mars Motors Runnup

Baco
Your plane is beautiful and unusual. A little work on the flight take off and landings and you will have it down pat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Got my painting all done last month. Doing panel lines is a lot of work. I really enjoyed the challenge. Painting is the best part for me. So after I finished all the shading with my airbrush I stuck it together for a motor run demo and paint photo shoot out in the yard. The motors ran very well. I only ran them on 1 - 4S 5000Mah battery. I did not check the charge on it. There will be 2 of these to get her in CG balance. They weigh about 1lb each.

I just have a few things to add. Tail registration numbers. The top hatch has a radar antenna and a range finder. I need it also to lift the hatch off.. I forgot to do the airbrushing on the floats also and got those done with the other 2 radial dummy motors. Very close to finished. Almost maiden video time.
Motor run test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Fa53SivuIPc

**Neons**Bob

Build Log Pictures. More finish pics in here. Link to RC Groups Build Log in the earlier post above
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/...20Build%20Log/
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Otto Dieffenbach
Check six

Neons beautiful!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
**neons**

Thank You Otto. Nice hearing from you. Happy Flights,
**Neons** Bob
Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
road king 97
old hat

Looking great Bob looking forward to see the maiden soon . joe
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
7car7

Default Stinson SR6 Float Plane

Stinson SR6 with floats, maiden flight.

Plane and floats scratch built, from 3mm Depron.

Here's the build thread.

Flying at a windy lake, 3000 feet up, ice cold water, without a boat to get the plane - pretty risky.
But it came home in one piece

I believe it needs more vertical surface, like most float planes have, and really needs water rudders.

The plane did get wet, as can be seen in the 3rd vid. The inside barely had a few drops, only the motor taking a dunking of course.
But after the second flight, which was good, I got the plane in to the dock, was about to take out the battery, and it went full throttle on me, with no throttle input. I managed to get the battery disconnected, but it was scary. The water that had got inside managed to be enough to put moisture into the speed control. It had condensation inside the shrink wrap. SO, needless to say, I'll be addressing that issue, and I'll be sure to call it a day if it ever takes a dunking again.

Name:	IMAG1983.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	161650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1984.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	161651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1985.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	161652  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
rawy
Foam & balsa

Very nice models Baco, Neons, and 7car7

Pretty nervous flight for the Dornier, looks to be a handfull to fly.

Cant wait for the inflight pics or video Bob, as said before a jewel.

Love that Stinson, looks a bit tailhaevy but fly's rather well in the breeze

keep them coming

rawy

Last edited by rawy; 07-30-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
baco

Pretty nervous flight for the Dornier, looks to be a handfull to fly.
Rawy

Really Dornier Do X is easy to fly, but beeing almost a parkflyer it wasn´t designed for windy days. You can hear wind blowing strongly !
Some days I have flown this plane at sunset and believe me ...it´s a dream!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Another Dornier, the 1919 Dornier Gs. 30" scratchbuild, and yet another I need to get out there.

Name:	Dornier_Gs_39.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	161936  

Quick Reply: Show us your seaplanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14661 seconds with 22 queries