Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

Epp combat

Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Default Epp combat

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/funflyreno.htm These little puppies work very well for combat. Friend of mine and I have been kicking the sh%$ out of them and they're standing up pretty well. The flat wing they show was a little squirrly till I put some dihedral in it. About 2 in. under each tip. Much more stable. Wing loading is a bit high so keep it as light as possible. I'm using a Little Screamer for power with a 9-5 prop. A little sluggish with a tired old 830 Apogee. TP 1320 woke it right up. Glides like a door knob, but landing with about 1/4 throttle works fine. Local hobby shop is going to get some in so we can have a real fur ball
Old 07-16-2006, 12:30 AM
slam

i saw these. they look interesting.

i wish they had different planes...like scaleish mustang, me109 etc.

look like they would be pretty tough. have you made any other mods besides dihedral?

slam
Old 07-16-2006, 02:07 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Doesn't really need much. The fuse on mine was getting pretty flexy, probably from those low pylon turns that ended up cartwheeling down the runway at full throttle. so I chucked a a piece of 3/16 carbon tube in a drill and moved the rudder over sideways and rammed it up the rear to just in front of the wing. That stiffened it up. The other one is still flying well without it. Forgot to change models in the transmitter, handlaunched it and went full throttle into the dirt with full down elevator. Another old age brainfart. :p Changed models and relaunched. Probably 30 or 40 flights on both of them with no major problems. Fun factor per dollar is very high.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Yeah, these are great fun. Fly pretty nicely too. Forget the landing gear ! !

There is seven of us with one each and we regularly get together for combat sessions trying in vain to cut each others streamer. Mid airs are not uncommon . . they kind of sound like slapping two shoe boxes together when they hit ! ! Hmmmmmm . . there isn't a "door-knob" amongst ours . . they glide sweet. We just cut the throttle and glide 'em right to our feet, every time . . one or two steps and pick 'em up . . No dihedral in any of ours either. CofG where the instructions say is good (I fitted the spars at this measurement. Makes it easy to reference at the field), as any further back and they don't want to glide and become a little unstable. They do rolling circles, knife edge (with a bit of coupling), positive and negative snaps, upright and inverted spins. Inverted takes a bit more down elevator than I like and is a little unstable but bearable. More of a symetrical section would have been better. I even hover mine if you get it square on, as it doesn't have enough rudder to really pull it off . . oh well.

We use cheapy $15 outrunner, $18 ESC, $8 servos, $25 (or less) Rx . . 20C 1050mAh 3S Electric Power packs. We only run at 10A Max though, so the pack stays ambient.

We use filament style packing tape along both sides of the fuse and the span of the wing near the leading edge . . helps stop the EPP from tearing on impact. More info on this link. Click on 'El Bandito' . . http://www.users.bigpond.com/webspac...ugi/index.html

Got some pics of us below . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kings3.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	14212   Click image for larger version

Name:	combat1.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	14213   Click image for larger version

Name:	combat2.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	14214  

Last edited by Jeff Boyd 2; 07-17-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Found out yesterday that this is a great windy weather flier. Must have been blowing about 25 mph. Only making about 10 mph headway but go like snot downwind Very stable considering the wind. Also, by accident,got it to do lomcevec and into a knifedge spin. Only other plane I had that would do that was a 1/4 scale Cap 10 B. Took me a while to figure out how to do it again but enters it exactly the same as the Cap. Fun Plane.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Yeah, for sure. These things fly in wind that keeps most others on the ground . .
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 AM
jipp

Hi, Im new to RC. been flying my Aero Ace Mono plane with TX mods for about a week now. Im hooked. I have a futaba 4 chanell TX already. sky port, that i use with my FMS flight sim. ( long story how i got this, but I did plan to start this hobbie 5 years ago or so, and well didnt get the best of advice ) Dindt come with a crystal tho so ill need one. ANyhow would this be a good first plane? thx. seems to be a cheap way to get in with out wasting to much money on learning. I live in the desert so landing gear is pretty much useless for me. So that cought my attection too. Iv been just searching and learning. And all the planes people recomend seem to be to fragile for my desert enviroment ( lots of rocks, but i will clear a landing path.. ie move some rocks out of the way will still be a hard dirt landing im afraid. YOu guys with grass are lucky! ).

Chris.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:10 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Never thought of using it for a trainer but in might work if you've been flying an Aeroace. What do you have for motor , batts, etc. Chris.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM
jobu

I have 2 elbanditos and we fly the semi race/combat/circus style. These are awesome planes...very tough. We have them set up with Eskay 400t and tp930 3s and they fly great. This is a good lite setup and have no problem gliding and even hovering with 8x38-8x6 props. This pack lasts for a good while too.
I just recieved one of these similar planes from Hyperion and plan on building today. They also make a RareBear...not linked. This series seems a little thicker and heavier but I plan on powering with a Hacker a20-30m and 1000/20c-1300/20c....it should boogie!
joe...see links
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1988

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=1989
Old 11-24-2007, 02:02 PM
jobu

Originally Posted by jipp View Post
Hi, Im new to RC. been flying my Aero Ace Mono plane with TX mods for about a week now. Im hooked. I have a futaba 4 chanell TX already. sky port, that i use with my FMS flight sim. ( long story how i got this, but I did plan to start this hobbie 5 years ago or so, and well didnt get the best of advice ) Dindt come with a crystal tho so ill need one. ANyhow would this be a good first plane? thx. seems to be a cheap way to get in with out wasting to much money on learning. I live in the desert so landing gear is pretty much useless for me. So that cought my attection too. Iv been just searching and learning. And all the planes people recomend seem to be to fragile for my desert enviroment ( lots of rocks, but i will clear a landing path.. ie move some rocks out of the way will still be a hard dirt landing im afraid. YOu guys with grass are lucky! ).

Chris.
This would be great low wind trainer with throws set lower...virtually bullet proof!!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Hey guys, I think MS composite has some warbirds that are similar in size to the reno racers. I pretty sure that is where I saw them. Warbirds may make combat even more fun.

Laine.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Yup, found them, BF-109, P-51, and FW-190s

Here is a link
http://www.mscompositusa.com/cat~--semi-scale-epp.htm
Old 06-14-2008, 01:05 PM
jobu

anyone flying these street racers?
http://www.nesail.com/categories.php...764ee036fcbb69
Old 06-16-2008, 03:55 AM