E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

CX2 - problem with the proportional setting

Old 07-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Laszlo

Default CX2 - problem with the proportional setting

After several months of happy flying, and a few blades later, my CX2 decided drift its nose (yahs) right in hover and in flight. For awhile I could fly it pretty well with the rudder trim all the way at left. At some point however I had no option but to udjust the proportional setting on the 4 in 1 - as per the CX2 Manual. Guess what? Even if I set the little pot to its extreme conterclockwise position I still have to set the ruder trim to the extreme left. Now she is kind of manageable in flight - she needs constant nodging to keep her nose straight. (I gues if boats are referred to as females, so should be helis - but that is another topic.)

To give you the total picture of my setup, I have upgraded to the blue aluminum swashplate and alu Lower Rotor Head Set (both from teh E-flite optional parts list)

Any suggestions??

Thanks a lot - Laszlo
Old 07-14-2007, 04:22 PM
TheBum
Still in training

Make sure that the shafts aren't too tightly clamped by the respective collars and, therefore, binding on the bearings. If you try to wiggle each shaft up and down, you should feel a little "rattle"; if not, loosen the collar and resecure it so that there is some play (but not too much; you should just barely feel the "rattle").

Also make sure that the upper screws in the lower head aren't too tight and binding on the inner shaft; try backing them out a half-turn or so.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Laszlo

Thanks! You know I may have been overly concerned about tightening the screws when installed the alu parts. I will check!

Laszlo
Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Sentertainment
Hobbyist/Web Developer

also check the shafts, if they are bent the slight bit it will effect the speed of the rotors.

AND, the motors can wear out as they are brushed motors, last resort would be to replace the motors.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 PM
tsenneville

I, too, have developed a strange problem with my CX-2. It has developed what has been described as the, "Toilet Bowl Effect" where the heli wants to move in circles. The nose will maintain orientation and the heli can be controlled but I can not seem to make the heli stop moving like this.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Laszlo

What happened before the heli developed this behaviour? Did you have a hard crash?

From your note it seems that the electronics (the expensive stuff) seem OK.

First check the linkages. They should be solid on their 'balls' but loose - what a contradiction! Sometimes the ones connecting the top blade tend jump off. Or the flybar 'pops out' from its hole. At first glance it may look OK untill you check it more carefully. Also check your blades for cracks and possibly missing prices.

If these are all OK, I would take the blades off and gently spin up the shaft. Look for any shake. If so, you will have bent shaft.

Good Luck
Laszlo
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
tsenneville

Cool

Thanks for the suggestions but I have done all of the obvious things up to and including changing out the 3 in 1 unit.

There were no hard crashes that had not happened before. As far as I can remember the problem just showed up after the heli had not been flown in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Laszlo

Hmm.....

If, as you say, the heli can be controlled - while in the toilet bowl - it is not likely a problem with the electronics. Meaning the 4 in 1 (it is a 3 in 1 in a BCX3) or the servos. Though the setups may need to be adjusted/tuned, but then you could not fly the little bird, holding her nose. The motor(s) - maybe a source of the problem - due to uneven wear. These are known to 'grow old'.

But first I would RE-INSPECT every angle mechanically. Use a magnifying glass if needed. Look for loose or sticky links, general wear and tear on the gears driving the shafts. Once I had a problem with a worn off/broken tooth. Check your flybar! Is it straight? Are your blades balanced?

For other ideas check this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636550

Don't give up. These little monsters are lots of fun but can be finicky. (I have two of them PLUS a Blade 400 - which is the source of my headaches!)

Cheers
Laszlo
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM
schreydog

Default tbe

tsenn,99.9 % of the time tbe is related to the flybar. does it move up and down with absolutely no binding? is it bent? did one of the weights work out a little? take off your link and move it to the right so it snaps on square? sand the balls w 600g sand paper? of course don' sand so much the links won't stay on schreydog good luck, very difficult to cure
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 AM
schreydog

Default tbe

make sure your nipples? on the flybar haven't worked out of the holes in the rotor head schreydog (mark)
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
tsenneville

Greetings!

Thanks for the suggestions. The flay bar was binding a little due to tight fitting blades. I have used a small drill to ream out the blades and I will try the heli when the weather moderates and let you know.

tsenneville
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
tsenneville

Success!

Thanks to all for the suggestions while I worked out the problem of "Toilet Bowl Syndrom". The answer was this: The holes in the upper blades that fit over the nipples on the flying head were a touch too small and were binding and therefore keeping the fly bar from moving freely. After reaming the holes, the heli will hover pretty well.

Now all I have to do is really learn to fly the thing!

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Daylight99

I also had problems with my CX2 rotating right and after a bad crash that broke the lower head I went through and replaced all the plastic parts with E-flite aluminum upgrades. I took my time and made sure every part was in its correct place and every hole lined up and when I was done my CX2 not only hovers perfect but all the flight controls are better. I did have one screw that was not completely set in the outer shaft hole on the lower head and the result was a bad wobble in the outer shaft. After going back and realigning the holes the shaft rotated perfect. You would not think a small thing like that would have much effect but it does. Just taking the time to re-check everything from top to bottom can make a world of difference.