Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

cx2 hover problems

Old 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM
chadbendixsen

Default cx2 hover problems

I've had my CX2 for a few months now and absolutely love it. I've become a fairly good pilot over a lot of practice. Just recently, and all of a sudden, my CX2 will barely hover a foot or so off the ground. It doesn't have enough power to go much higher then that. So far I have replaced the batteries and the motors which has not impacted the problem whatsoever. Any ideas on what the problem could be. The only things left to replace, as far as I know, would be the bearings and the ESC 4 in1 unit. Any ideas? Any similar problems on different birds? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Technoman

Default Check Gears

Check your gears and make sure the motors are fitting right, also make sure your inner and outer shafts are not moving when your trying to fly. Have you changed blades recently maybe you could have installed them wrong. Are you getting enough head speed when you power up?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 PM
chadbendixsen

Default Everything looks good

Yes, the gears and motor sprockets fit together without any problem. The head speed seems to be fine visually. I tested the current at full speed going to the right motor and got 500mA. On the left motor at full speed I'm only getting 300mA. This led me think the problem may be the ESC 4 in 1 unit but when I hooked my ESC up to a friends CX2 I got 500mA going to the right and left motor. This is when I started to believe their must be a greater load on the left motor. I am an electrical engineer and am having a hell of a time figuring this one out. I am leaning towards blaming it on something mechanical but am having a hard time pointing the finger.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Mike_117

I find most of the problems for this are using a lower blade for an upper.. or vice versa.. look closely at the blades and make sure they are correct. Remember the larger ball joint is the upper blades. Make sure they turn with the leading edge.

.. i've done it.. quickly grabbed blades and threw them on.. then splat.. straight to the ground and a few more blades in the trash..
Old 04-20-2007, 04:54 AM
jmann71

If you have been running this heli for a few months, have you ever removed, cleaned and relubed the inner and outer shaft bearings. they don't have seals, so they can "gum up" with dust. or just replace them. just something else to check

Jason
Old 04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
chadbendixsen

Default Thanks but no luck

Thanks for your help guys. I doulbe checked the blades to ensure I had them installed on the correct rotor (top and bottom). I've replaced all bearings so that can't be it. I've replaced everything but the ESC 4 in 1 unit. Has anyone ever had problems with their ESC? If so, did it just up and quick working or did it malfunction possibly meaning it began supplying wrong output currents? I'm at a loss here guys, if it the ESC a replacement is $60. Ouch!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Technoman

Default I got it!

In the last 2 weeks I have learned to hover and also do forward flight, I cannot believe how easy this is now. I can also nose in from about 50 foot and then hover it in front of me.

Thanks for the help you guys gave me, seems like things are falling into place now I have taught myself how to work both sticks at one time I this was my biggest problem to fly.

Last edited by Technoman; 04-22-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2007, 05:44 PM
jmann71

did you happen to vent your 4 in1? if not you may have cooked it over time. there was a thread somewhere about replacing the mosfets in 4in1 if you are really good with a soldering iron. they were only about $4 a piece. if it truely is your 4 in 1 and your looking to replaced it anyway, why not try it?

Jason
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM
chadbendixsen

I did not vent it at all. I left the bird the way it came stock except for some aluminum upgrade parts and motor heat sinks. Thanks for the tip on the MOSFETS. I do alright with an iron so I'll give it a try.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
jmann71

try this site for the venting and other great tips
http://www.dacaur.com/bladecxhelp.html#gyro

Jason